Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

622/Hopper/Genie PQ

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Dobe

Dobe

Mentor

• Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:39 PM

I'm thinking about switching from DISH (VIP 622) to DIRECTV (Genie) or maybe DISH Hopper because of the HD recording capabilities.

It seems like the consensus is that both services are pretty much equal when it comes to PQ. I've got a 65" plasma and may be buying a 75" or 80" display before the Fall so I want to make sure I get the provider with the best PQ.

I'm wondering why there's so little talk about the video processors in DVRs. It's an important discussion when talking about the latest blu ray players and other video eqipment. As you guys know, video processors do scaling, deinterlacing, filtering, enhancement processing, contrast management.

It's been a while since I visited this forum so maybe I've missed the discussions.

What's the difference between the quality of the video processors in the new DISH (Hopper) and DIRECTV (Genie) DVRs and shouldn't either of them be much better than the one in my 5 year old VIP 622?

Thanks.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   some guy

some guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:46 PM

I know that the video quality from my 722k to a Hopper is very noticable and I know other people have posted the same regarding a VIP to Hopper upgrade and the PQ being much more sharp and crisp.

#3 OFFLINE   Dobe

Dobe

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:04 PM

Thanks. That's great to know. As I said it's been a while since I've visited this forum. It makes sense that the video processors would be better in the new DVRs.

I'm surprised that there's no discussion about the difference between the processors in the Hopper and the Genie -- unless they're both the same.

#4 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,761 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:44 PM

I know that the video quality from my 722k to a Hopper is very noticable and I know other people have posted the same regarding a VIP to Hopper upgrade and the PQ being much more sharp and crisp.

Actually is not, many told there is no difference. For depth read TomCat's posts.

#5 OFFLINE   some guy

some guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:49 PM

Actually is not, many told there is no difference. For depth read TomCat's posts.

And many said they did notice a big difference,as I did. So I guess you're right.

#6 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,761 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:54 PM

You can live happily in your own world ... I don't mind.

#7 OFFLINE   3HaloODST

3HaloODST

Godfather

• Registered
  • 469 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:55 AM

Personally I see no difference between 722k and Hopper/Joey in PQ. Both are about as good as it gets considering the source. I calibrate all my TVs on every input and every device. Obviously, the guide looks better on Hopper/Joey, but the channels look the same.

2 Hoppers w/Sling / 2 Hopper 2000s / 1 Joey

1 ViP722k (separate account)

spam firewall