Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

IR code for OTA digital seperator

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   pspitzer

pspitzer

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:25 AM

Does anyone know the IR code for the digital seperator, if there is one, used to tune directly to an OTA channel? I'm referring to the decimal in channels 6.1 or 9.1, etc. Equipment is VIP-622. Now the only way is through the guide or tune to local on satellite then up one channel.

On same note, is there an IR code to toggle Closed Captioning?

Thanks.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   n0qcu

n0qcu

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:39 AM

use zeros
example if your local is 5.1 you would type 00501 to go directly to that channel.

there is no shortcut for CC
Kevin

3 Hoppers
3 Joeys, all wireless
1 Hopper 2.0
YES, all Hoppers can see the recordings on any Hopper.

#3 OFFLINE   pspitzer

pspitzer

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:14 AM

Thanks, Kevin. This does work on the Dish remote. The remote I'm trying to program - Touchsquid - is looking for an IR code. It ignores the preceeding zeros, so 00601 sends a request for channel 601. However, their tech support is second to none, so perhaps they could accomodate this in their frequent updates. BUT, is there a specific IR code?

Paul

#4 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:14 PM

I don't think that's the way IR remotes work.

You enter a code for the device you wish to control and the internal database of the remote generates the digital IR pulses that communicate with your device.

If the remote is a learning remote, you can program a key or series of keys to generate pulses that mimic the pulses of the original remote, but no remote that I am aware of requires you to encode each channel, that would be too burdensome for certain users who have many, many channels.

Simply entering the main channel number, such a "5" will take you to the first channel 5 in the programmed channels list on the Dish receiver, for instance I have channel 5.0 (the satellite version of OTA 5.1) locked out so if I push the "5" button it takes me to channel 5.1 after a couple of seconds. To get to 5.2 i need to press the channel up button from there or with my Dish remote I just enter 00502 and that takes me directly to channel 5.2.

Some remotes have a "-" or "." key that you use instead of the zero between the main number and the subchannel number.

The TouchSquid seems to be pretty sophisticated, surely they have a way to accomplish the direct channel entry for Dish Network - if they don't, shame on them and you may have to use the main channel, channel up work-around.

I know when I set up my TiVo IR blaster to control my Dish receiver, there was an option to select whether preceeding zeros were transmitted or stripped from the data sent. Perhaps there is such an option in the setup of the Touch Squid, or maybe TouchSquid needs to fix this omission.

EDIT - Reading through the TouchSquid forums, it seems the problem is that the TouchSquid strips the preceeding zeros from the channel number transmitted and the developer has said they will change the code so the zeros are not stripped with software ver. 2.66.

So... how does it feel to be a Beta Tester? :D, really for $50 it seems to be a pretty nice universal remote, I might consider getting one, especially with the different profiles available, it can be used in several rooms of the house, just switch profiles when you change rooms.

Edited by Jim5506, 11 January 2013 - 03:07 PM.
Additional info

Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#5 OFFLINE   pspitzer

pspitzer

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:40 PM

As you noted Jim, the Touchsquid people will "fix" the software...they are very good at responding to things like this.

Don't feel like a beta tester - it does work well...more like it's version 1.5-2.0 (even though officially it's at 2.67!). It's pretty easy to program, and I'm figuring out different ways to use macros, etc. Closed caption was also a glitch - Dish's fault since no direct access. I've set up macros that turn on and of the CC by diving into the menu. Each one takes about a second to execute. I'm using the Samsung Tab2 - it's got the IR port - so I've got a full Android tablet as well. And, Samsung just released 4.1.1 JellyBean so the tablet is much snappier!

Definitely put this on the consider list.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...