Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

What happens to recorded content on other receivers if I get a GENIE?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   iowaberg

iowaberg

Godfather

• Registered
  • 287 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:56 AM

I am very interested in getting a GENIE. My questions center around the content I've recorded on my current HD DVRS- HR24, HR23, and HR20. I also have the Whole Home DVR service.

My main question, is... is there a set up that will still allow me to watch the content I've built up over the last several years on the older receivers I listed above? I would hate to just "lose" all of the kids movies I've recorded.

From the little research I've done, it appears I would put the Genie in one room, and then a mini client in the other two rooms. Would I still be able to connect the older receivers and then watch AND record programs on them too? Not sure what others have done with their setup with this situation.

If none of this is possible, then the Genie probably isn't for me.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,996 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:59 AM

If you are willing to pay the extra per month charge to keep those old receivers on your account then yes you'll be able to view content from them via WHDVR on the HR34 and its clients.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#3 OFFLINE   wrj

wrj

Legend

• Registered
  • 151 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:12 AM

If you are willing to pay the extra per month charge to keep those old receivers on your account then yes you'll be able to view content from them via WHDVR on the HR34 and its clients.

$3 per month for WHDVR but correct me if I'm wrong, if you add a Genie (without subtracting a receiver), there would be an extra monthly fee to rent the additional device (Genie).

#4 OFFLINE   Rent_Share

Rent_Share

AllStar

• Registered
  • 67 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:26 AM

IMHO you would substitute the HR34 for the HR20

No need to change to Clients where the H23 and H24

The monthly cost would be the same

Advantages Record up to 9 Programs at once on any of three TV's

Add whole home, Total storage 2 TB

Disadvantage to set a program to record in another room, you have to go to the other room or use the Web Based Scheduler or Ipad/Iphone App

If you add receiver H25s or Clients C31s you can access the HR34 recording option or any DVRs left on the system

I would look at what is left on the HR20 and then make a decision about converting to another media and or see how much of it is available through Video on Demand

Dish Slimline-5 WB68 MRV Enabled (Non Supported) Cat 5
HR20-100 - HR21/100 - HR23-700 - Not Networked DSR708 SD

#5 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,457 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:29 AM

From the little research I've done, it appears I would put the Genie in one room, and then a mini client in the other two rooms. Would I still be able to connect the older receivers and then watch AND record programs on them too? Not sure what others have done with their setup with this situation.

The mini clients are not required in order to use the Genie. It will work fine with your existing DVR's. I would think that, in your situation, you'd be best off with just replacing one DVR with the Genie and keep the other two DVR's. You'd lose whatever content you have on the DVR that you'd be replacing. But you'd keep everything else.

Your other option would be to just add the Genie to your existing setup until you can watch all of the content on the DVR that would eventually be returned. That would cost you $6 per month for the extra receiver.

#6 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:39 AM

The mini clients are not required in order to use the Genie. It will work fine with your existing DVR's. I would think that, in your situation, you'd be best off with just replacing one DVR with the Genie and keep the other two DVR's. You'd lose whatever content you have on the DVR that you'd be replacing. But you'd keep everything else.

Your other option would be to just add the Genie to your existing setup until you can watch all of the content on the DVR that would eventually be returned. That would cost you $6 per month for the extra receiver.

I've done that. I kept a DVR active that I was really replacing just until I finished watching everything I wanted to from it. I then deactivated to put me back from 3 receivers down to 2 at that time.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#7 OFFLINE   Rent_Share

Rent_Share

AllStar

• Registered
  • 67 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:05 PM

Chances are they will not ask for the HR20 back but it will become unwatchable

Dish Slimline-5 WB68 MRV Enabled (Non Supported) Cat 5
HR20-100 - HR21/100 - HR23-700 - Not Networked DSR708 SD

#8 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,457 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:57 PM

I've done that. I kept a DVR active that I was really replacing just until I finished watching everything I wanted to from it. I then deactivated to put me back from 3 receivers down to 2 at that time.

I've been going about it the opposite way. In anticipation of getting a Genie, I've shifted as many series links from my HR-20 to my two HR-21's as I can (without causing conflicts). I've also made an effort to watch recordings of movies that I made a long time ago, but never got around to watching, so I can delete those recordings. I'm down to less than 5% Hard drive usage.

So, now I'm ready for a Genie. It figures that DirecTV would go and announce the HR-44, which may cause me to wait some more.

#9 OFFLINE   iowaberg

iowaberg

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 287 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:10 PM

Disadvantage to set a program to record in another room, you have to go to the other room or use the Web Based Scheduler or Ipad/Iphone App

If I'm not mistaken I have to go to the other room right now anyways, if I want to record something on a different receiver. Unless of course, I use my Android app scheduler.

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I may have to get rid of the HR 20 and all the wife's chick flick movies!

#10 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,911 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:32 PM

Correct, since you have all DVRs, you cant set something up to record on a different DVR now.

#11 OFFLINE   iowaberg

iowaberg

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 287 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:44 PM

Correct, since you have all DVRs, you cant set something up to record on a different DVR now.

Your reply makes me think there IS in fact, a way to do this with different receivers?

#12 ONLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 03:01 PM

Your reply makes me think there IS in fact, a way to do this with different receivers?

When using a HD receiver (press record) from that room and it will prompt you Which HDDVR you wish to record it to-When using wholehome.

the HDVVR when you press record it will record only to that HDDVR.
"Let's Have Some Fun!"

#13 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,457 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 11 January 2013 - 03:02 PM

No. Your first assumption was correct. You cannot use one DVR (or Genie) to schedule a recording a different DVR (or Genie).

Your Android app is the way to go if you need to schedule a recording on a DVR (or Genie) that's in a different room.

Edited by Bill Broderick, 11 January 2013 - 03:03 PM.
edited to add Genie references

#14 OFFLINE   dminches

dminches

Godfather

• Registered
  • 417 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:45 PM

Will there be future new 2 tuner HD DVRs to replace the HR24s or is everything going to be genie-like?

DirecTV subscriber since 1994
HR44 (5 TB eSata) -> Runco LS-5 via HDMI

HR24-500 (2 TB eSata) -> Samsung 50" via HDMI
HR24-100 (1.5 TB eSata) -> Sony 50E2000 via HDMI
HR24-700 - owned (2 TB internal) -> Samsung LN32A550 via HDMI
HR20-100s - owned -> Sony Bravia 40"

#15 ONLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,996 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:46 PM

Will there be future new 2 tuner HD DVRs to replace the HR24s or is everything going to be genie-like?

The only thing I've heard are rumorts that points to the HR2X line being at the end of development and everything in the future is going to be geared towards the new hardware.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#16 OFFLINE   dminches

dminches

Godfather

• Registered
  • 417 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:49 PM

That's what I was afraid of. So, if your genie hard drive fails, which it will, you lose everything?

DirecTV subscriber since 1994
HR44 (5 TB eSata) -> Runco LS-5 via HDMI

HR24-500 (2 TB eSata) -> Samsung 50" via HDMI
HR24-100 (1.5 TB eSata) -> Sony 50E2000 via HDMI
HR24-700 - owned (2 TB internal) -> Samsung LN32A550 via HDMI
HR20-100s - owned -> Sony Bravia 40"

#17 OFFLINE   brett_the_bomb

brett_the_bomb

Legend

• Registered
  • 182 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:08 PM

Chances are they will not ask for the HR20 back but it will become unwatchable

If my memory serves, dtv doesn't recover these, and if disconnect the sat in before its deactivated by dtv than I think u could continue to access the playlist much like a 771 sfss situation. But no promises from me on that lol.

My setup: HR 44, HR34, 2x HR 24, 2x HR 23-700, 4x C31's, Nomad...

#18 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,911 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:11 PM

That's what I was afraid of. So, if your genie hard drive fails, which it will, you lose everything?

Pretty much. Now, for a Genie, you can use an external drive setup with RAID, so that one hard drive failure doesn't cause data loss.

Currently, even here there is a single point of failure as recordings are locked to a particular DVR. However there are rumors that this will be changing.

Edited by dpeters11, 11 January 2013 - 08:12 PM.
Put in quote

#19 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,911 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:14 PM

If my memory serves, dtv doesn't recover these, and if disconnect the sat in before its deactivated by dtv than I think u could continue to access the playlist much like a 771 sfss situation. But no promises from me on that lol.

Having it on a battery backup with sat, phone and internet disconnected from it before deactivation gives you the best chance. If it reboots to try to reestablish signal, game over.

#20 OFFLINE   brett_the_bomb

brett_the_bomb

Legend

• Registered
  • 182 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:22 PM

Having it on a battery backup with sat, phone and internet disconnected from it before deactivation gives you the best chance. If it reboots to try to reestablish signal, game over.

Thanks for that extra info I forgot to mention the reboot part. I think also after so long it may do a 722 expired authorizations.

My setup: HR 44, HR34, 2x HR 24, 2x HR 23-700, 4x C31's, Nomad...

Protected By... spam firewall...And...