Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Wow! Dish second most hated company in America

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   zer0cool

zer0cool

Godfather

• Registered
  • 264 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:18 PM

I'm not trying to be a Dish Network basher (I've been a customer over 20 years).
I know the company took a lot of flak over the AMC thing, and customer service isn't always the greatest (but where is it always perfect?), but I was suprised to see them near the top of this list.

http://finance.yahoo...162927740.html?

2. Dish Network Corp. (NASDAQ: DISH)

REUTERS/Rick Wilking
Dish’s remarkably poor customer service ratings show up in more than one survey. Customers knock its record in both the ACSI and in the MSN Money/Zogby poll. In the latter, it makes the “hall of shame” as one of the 10 worst-rated companies. Dish further alienated itself from its customers last May when it dropped several channels, including AMC. Among the shows that went off the satellite service were the highly popular “Mad Men” and “Breaking Bad.” Employee ratings of their experiences at the company are as terrible of those of its customers. In a recent BusinessWeek story titled “The Meanest Company in America,” former and current employees called the environment created by the company’s founder as a “culture of condescension and distrust.” Glassdoor’s employee rating for Dish is among the worst in its entire survey that covers thousands of companies. Dish recently made an offer to buy broadband provider Clearwire, which would expand the satellite TV company’s broadband presence.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,305 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 05:11 PM

What is it about 24/7 Wall St and DISH? It is interesting to see that this "trash DISH" article comes from the same source as the last one.

#3 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 587 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 04:08 AM

There's very little real reporting. Most "journalists" scour the Internet and rehash old stories.

If Dish is so hated, how is it they scored so high in JD Power's satellite and cable customer satisfaction index? (And yes, I scoured the Internet and have just rehashed an old story.)

#4 OFFLINE   CeeWoo

CeeWoo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 336 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 10:09 AM

I've about always had good to excellent CS from Dish (of course often it's been through the DIRT) :)

#5 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 05:49 PM

Dish equipment has some nice features (luv them built in modulators) and customers like the trim appearance of the smaller dishes.

(I'm an independent installer) but I frequently work with 'regular' DISH installers and they are trained well enough. I don't think management treats them all that well, but I only see installers from one hub, so that might be a local thing.

In years past I have had some horrid experiences with DISH work orders coming down that had little or nothing to do with what I ordered, but that has been getting much better.

Dish executive response team (or whatever they call it now) has bailed me out of some problems, and that was appreciated.

I suspect when the telephone reps are claiming to be notating the account they are actually playing Soduko, but I get that feeling with Direct, Cox, Huntel, CUSA, and a few others.

I'd say I have a similar % of clients switch from Dish to Direct and vice versa every year.

Cox cable does well by me, some of the smaller cable systems are having a tough go keeping up with HD, whole home, etc.

As for DISH administration being rough on their help at that level, well, it's their company . . .

#6 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,390 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:55 PM

Where is Walmart or Samsung in the list?. where in Walmart the way they treat their employees and working overtime with little pay, or sometimes not honoring your part-time schedule working full-time without notice especially if you have another job or taking college courses, and Samsung not honoring their warranties making you pay full price on repairs and don't get me started in their customer service.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 
Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#7 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,343 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:41 PM

I'm thoroughly baffled how being #2 on the ACSI list (well behind Verizon and tied with UVerse) gets them a "worst" rating.

http://www.theacsi.o...elease-may-2012

JD Power has become confusing as they break down their awards by region which seems to allow almost everyone (other than Charter and Comcast) top honors somewhere.

http://www.jdpower.c...Study/index.htm

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#8 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,343 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:44 PM

Where is Walmart or Samsung in the list?

Walmart and Samsung aren't pay TV providers so they don't appear on the same list.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#9 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,305 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:55 PM

Walmart and Samsung aren't pay TV providers so they don't appear on the same list.

Perhaps you should take another look. The list we were talking about includes JC Penney, T-Mobile, Facebook, CitiGroup, RIM (Blackberry), American Airlines, Nokia, Sears (inc K-Mart) and Hewitt-Packard.

#10 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,429 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:16 PM

I don't know, based on the people I know that have T-Mobile, they love them.

What happened to the old days when the most hated companies were Bank of America or Comcast?

And do people really hate JCPenney? They may not shop there, but most stores I don't shop at aren't on my radar as a store/company I don't like, unless they are something like Walmart or Ambercrombie & Fitch.

Even as a DirecTV subscriber, I find this list suspicious. Except for Facebook.

#11 OFFLINE   Orion9

Orion9

Legend

• Registered
  • 190 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:36 PM

That was the same reaction I had to the original post. Out of the companies listed, I have only heard about people hating Facebook. Some of the companies just seem to be companies that weren't as high-flying as they once were. Seems sort of random and/or fake. Maybe these are a bunch of companies whose stocks lost money for some guy's retirement account?? :)

#12 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,390 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:38 PM

Since when is this about pay tv providers, the list is about the company as a whole and their executives

Directv HD DVR HR24-500

#13 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,390 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:48 PM

Perhaps you should take another look. The list we were talking about includes JC Penney, T-Mobile, Facebook, CitiGroup, RIM (Blackberry), American Airlines, Nokia, Sears (inc K-Mart) and Hewitt-Packard.

Yes I read the top ten list, which I think is manipulated because there is many companies that belong in the list, my list would be Walmart,Comcast,Samsung,Facebook,Bank of America,U.S Congress(yes I know U.S Congress is not a company)Sears,CitiGroup,T-Mobile,TWC. Edit: instead on U.S Congress I'll put AT&T.

Directv HD DVR HR24-500

#14 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,343 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:15 AM

The list we were talking about includes JC Penney, T-Mobile, Facebook, CitiGroup, RIM (Blackberry), American Airlines, Nokia, Sears (inc K-Mart) and Hewitt-Packard.

I was speaking to the ACSI list on which this list was supposedly, at least in part, based.

#15 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,305 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:46 PM

I was speaking to the ACSI list on which this list was supposedly, at least in part, based.

We are speaking of the actual list that was given in the article. :)

The article managed to leave the satellite/cable industry for nine other hated companies. Why not Walmart and other historically hated companies?

#16 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,390 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:21 PM

Why not Walmart and other historically hated companies?

Didn't I just said that?

Directv HD DVR HR24-500

#17 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,305 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:29 PM

I was trying to explain it to someone who apparently did not understand.

#18 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,343 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:26 AM

You have to question the "actual list" if it is at decided odds with the lists from which it was derived. There must be some shenanigans going on if the surveys individually place DISH in the top two but the aggregation places them at next to the bottom.

spam firewall