Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR24 Audio with HDMI and Optical at same time?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   BuffaloDenny

BuffaloDenny

Icon

• Registered
  • 689 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:34 PM

I ordered a soundbar with the only input on it being a optical in on the back. My low budget TV does not have an optical out, but the HR24 does.

I currently have my TV directly connected to the HR24 via HDMI. Can I keep the TV connected via HDMI to the HR24 for video AND connect the optical out from the HR24 to the optical in on the soundbar at the same time? If this works I'm assuming I just need to turn the TV's internal speakers off.

Thanks for any help - if this won't work I need to cancel the order quick:)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,427 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:35 PM

Yes, it will work.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#3 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:35 PM

That should work. I have my HR24 hooked to HDMI TV, and optical to my surround amp at the same time and it works.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#4 OFFLINE   Montezuma58

Montezuma58

AllStar

• Registered
  • 71 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 10:55 AM

It will work. I have my projector hooked to the hdmi out and optical going to my receiver.

#5 OFFLINE   BuffaloDenny

BuffaloDenny

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 689 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 02:08 PM

Thanks all! Never had a sound bar before. By hooking it to the HR24 instead of the TV, I'm still unsure of how that will work with the TV volume. Obviously I don't want the TV speakers and the sound bar going at the same time, but there doesn't appear to be a menu option on my TV to turn the speakers off. If I turn the volume all the way down on the TV, hopefully I can just turn up the volume control on the Sound Bar which will be using the optical signal coming from the HR24. Worried having the volume all the way down will negate any sound. I'll just have to play around with it once it gets here.
HR20-100S/Seagate
H20-100
Panasonic TH-58PZ800U Plasma
Pioneer Elite AVR SC-05
Toshiba HD-A1 HD DVD
Sony PS3 Blu-Ray

#6 OFFLINE   dminches

dminches

Godfather

• Registered
  • 415 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 04:48 PM

Having the volume down on the TV has no effect on the digital audio signal passed via optical.

DirecTV subscriber since 1994
HR24-500 (2 TB eSata) -> Runco LS-5 vis HDMI
HR20-100s (2 TB eSata) -> Runco LS-5 vis HDMI
HR24-100 (1.5 TB eSata) -> Sony 50E2000 via HDMI
HR20-700 - owned (2 TB internal) -> Samsung LN32A550 via HDMI
HR20-100s - owned -> Sony Bravia 40"
HR20-100 - owned (2 TB internal)

spam firewall