Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Fast Forward issue with Genie

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bernieport

bernieport

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:15 PM

So, I just got an HR-34 a couple weeks ago and am having a huge issue with Fast Forwarding. When I FF through commercials, I usually use the 3x FF. When the show appears, I hit play and on my old boxes it would hop back about 5 seconds and I would be right to when the show was starting back up. Now, with the HR34 and the client box upstairs, when I hit play after 3x FF it stops right where you hit play (at best......sometimes it seems it even skips forward a little further). This, to me, makes it virtually impossible to skip through commercials as I spend a bunch of time then rewinding to where I was. I am often 20 seconds into the show!

I had a tech come out today. He agreed it was a problem, and he replaced the box. Well, the new box does it too! The tech admitted he had little experience with the HR34 so he thought that "just may be the way it is supposed to be". I find it very problematic.

Anyone having this issue? And if so, does anyone else find it to be a problem?

Thanks for any help

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,427 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:40 PM

It's been that way for a long time, and yes, it's very problematic. Although I don't have that issue on my C31's.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#3 OFFLINE   bernieport

bernieport

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:43 PM

Thanks! I looked back and couldn't find the question asked elsewhere.

Do you think this is something DirecTV will address in a software update? Again, I apologize if this has been discussed before.

#4 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,427 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:45 PM

We're hoping.

#5 OFFLINE   bnwrx

bnwrx

Icon

• Registered
  • 933 posts
  • Locationcolorado, in the mountains.....

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:57 AM

Thanks! I looked back and couldn't find the question asked elsewhere.

Do you think this is something DirecTV will address in a software update? Again, I apologize if this has been discussed before.

Others, as well as myself have posted about this several times in the past. With each new firmware edition we hope for a correction, but nothing yet....:nono2:

HR44-500 HDMI to 42"Toshiba
HR21-100 HDMI to 32" LG and 20" AOC

Directv since 1996(the USSB,Pegasus days...)
...sometimes, there is no answer...
http://woodlandweather.org/

#6 OFFLINE   SteelDog

SteelDog

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:41 AM

Thank god I am not the only one. Same thing. The accuracy of this DVR is horrible when fast forwarding or rewinding. It's easily the worst one I have owned in that regard. Seems like it would easily be fixed.

#7 OFFLINE   Bajanjack

Bajanjack

Icon

• Registered
  • 662 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:37 AM

Thank god I am not the only one. Same thing. The accuracy of this DVR is horrible when fast forwarding or rewinding. It's easily the worst one I have owned in that regard. Seems like it would easily be fixed.

Yep, I've posted about this problem several times-you are not alone!!-the "jump back" is too short. For me it's even worse when I play a recorded program from another DVR on the HR34 using whole home.
HR34-700, HR20-700, HR21-100,HR24-500,H24-100, R16-300

#8 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:46 AM

This, to me, makes it virtually impossible to skip through commercials as I spend a bunch of time then rewinding to where I was. I am often 20 seconds into the show!

That is why I use the 30 Second Skip Button!!! :)

It is much more accurate and maybe after skipping 4 times I may be a little ahead I then use the RW to get to the beginning of Live Action.
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#9 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,030 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:20 AM

For me this continues to be one of the most frustrating things with the HR34. It reminds me of when the feature first appeared on the HR20. One thing I noted - when you FF there is an intial delay before the FF actually starts. At first glance, it looks to me like the "overrun" is roughly equal to the initial delay.

#10 OFFLINE   Bajanjack

Bajanjack

Icon

• Registered
  • 662 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 09:27 AM

It is much more accurate and maybe after skipping 4 times I may be a little ahead I then use the RW to get to the beginning of Live Action.

Gotcha, but that's not "more accurate" or quicker for me....ff "jump back" gets you close and needs only a few seconds more to be adequate
HR34-700, HR20-700, HR21-100,HR24-500,H24-100, R16-300

#11 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:34 AM

30 sec skip has always been fast and reliable for me as well...

#12 OFFLINE   bnwrx

bnwrx

Icon

• Registered
  • 933 posts
  • Locationcolorado, in the mountains.....

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:34 AM

Of course 30SKIP works for me also, but why shouldn't FF work properly as it does in all the other HR's that I've had???

HR44-500 HDMI to 42"Toshiba
HR21-100 HDMI to 32" LG and 20" AOC

Directv since 1996(the USSB,Pegasus days...)
...sometimes, there is no answer...
http://woodlandweather.org/

#13 OFFLINE   Hotelone

Hotelone

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 55 posts
  • LocationCentral Sierra Mountains

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:49 AM

X 3!

#14 OFFLINE   jacksonm30354

jacksonm30354

Icon

• Registered
  • 615 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:06 PM

30 Sec Skip works for me on the Genie itself, but on my C31 clients, it often skips to tick instead. Very frustrating. I've posted a couple times about the issue, but I guess I am the only one with the problem. It occurs using 30 sec skip via the remote or as I found last night, via the iPad app remote.

#15 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,427 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:19 PM

I've never liked 30 second skip. I always end up 15 seconds ahead or behind (then have to use ff or rew anyway). If the ffX3 on the HR34 worked like on the other HR's, it would be perfect, as I can land exactly where I want to every time.

#16 ONLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,926 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 07 March 2013 - 02:01 PM

I've never liked 30 second skip. I always end up 15 seconds ahead or behind (then have to use ff or rew anyway).

I still have a recording of the old HDNet Test Pattern, that has a timer displayed in the image. I just checked my HR34 and the 30skip was within 1 or 2 seconds of where it should be, not 15 seconds. Wonder why your HR34 is that far off?

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#17 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 07 March 2013 - 02:12 PM

Fast Forward problems are not exclusive to the HR34. I have 3 HR24-500s that FFW works as expected and reliably when playing a local recording. All bets are off if you play a recording from one of the other boxes over MRV. The ‘Auto-Correct’ jumps back way to far – then if you try to FFW again to get to where you want to be it jumps back again.

It has been this way since the beginning of MRV. Apparently anyone that has DirecTV’s ear here doesn’t use FFW… I don’t expect it to be fixed any time soon if ever.

#18 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 07 March 2013 - 02:24 PM

I still have a recording of the old HDNet Test Pattern, that has a timer displayed in the image. I just checked my HR34 and the 30skip was within 1 or 2 seconds of where it should be, not 15 seconds. Wonder why your HR34 is that far off?

If there are 3 to 5 minutes of commercials in a given break, you have to hit the 30skip from 6 to 10 times to get from one end of the break to the other. If the HR34 is off by 1.5 seconds per skip, the final result would be off by 9-15 seconds.

#19 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,427 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 07 March 2013 - 02:37 PM

You misunderstood.

#20 ONLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,926 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:07 PM

If there are 3 to 5 minutes of commercials in a given break, you have to hit the 30skip from 6 to 10 times to get from one end of the break to the other. If the HR34 is off by 1.5 seconds per skip, the final result would be off by 9-15 seconds.

I do that all the time and haven't run into that problem. Again, using the old HDNet Test Pattern recording, timer showed 6:30, hit 30skip 8 times, playback resumed at 2:28. That's 2 seconds off, not the 9 - 15 that you're seeing.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

spam firewall