Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Fast Forward issue with Genie

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,061 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:08 PM

You misunderstood.

Misunderstood what? You said you used 30skip and ended 15 seconds off of where you wanted to be, I said I haven't see that much of an error on my HR34.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,483 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:30 PM

I didn't say the HR34 doesn't skip ahead 30 seconds each time.

Commercials breaks (at least on the shows I watch) are not consistent in length. If I hit it 4 times I haven't gone through all the commercials and have to ff a bit. If I hit if 5 times, I'm into the program and have to rewind it (these are examples, btw). So,

I always end up 15 seconds ahead or behind (then have to use ff or rew anyway)

hint: the 15 seconds is just an example too, it might be 5 seconds, it might be 25. Doesn't really matter, as when I'm into the program I don't know how far into the program I am and when I land on a commercial, I don't know how much of the commercial is left.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#23 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,061 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:45 PM

Commercials breaks (at least on the shows I watch) are not consistent in length. If I hit it 4 times I haven't gone through all the commercials and have to ff a bit. If I hit if 5 times, I'm into the program and have to rewind it (these are examples, btw). So,

hint: the 15 seconds is just an example too, it might be 5 seconds, it might be 25. Doesn't really matter, as when I'm into the program I don't know how far into the program I am and when I land on a commercial, I don't know how much of the commercial is left.

OK, that clears it up. I've got most of the shows breaks down pat so I'm almost dead on with the skips.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#24 OFFLINE   Bajanjack

Bajanjack

Icon

• Registered
  • 677 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:46 PM

Exactly, add to that an "old man" like me who doesn't have the reaction time of you young guys-that adds a second or so to each press of the button....the logical answer is to fix the "jump back" so it works properly when doing a ff
HR34-700, HR20-700, HR21-100,HR24-500,H24-100, R16-300

#25 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,483 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:54 PM

OK, that clears it up. I've got most of the shows breaks down pat so I'm almost dead on with the skips.

I just timed one of the commercial breaks in Southland and it was 4:17. Now, that includes the time it took for me to reach over and get the timer, just like I'd have to reach over and get the remote. I probably would have started off with 4 skips. Would have still been on commercial. Another skip. Still commercial. Another skip. Still commercial. Another skip. Still commercial. Another skip. Still commercial. Another skip. Still commercial. Another skip, and I'd be about 15 seconds into my program.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#26 OFFLINE   rickclem

rickclem

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 05:30 PM

30 Sec Skip works for me on the Genie itself, but on my C31 clients, it often skips to tick instead. Very frustrating. I've posted a couple times about the issue, but I guess I am the only one with the problem. It occurs using 30 sec skip via the remote or as I found last night, via the iPad app remote.

Add me to the list of 30 sec skip to tic. I started using the X3. I like that if you go a little past that it backs up a tad when you press play.

#27 OFFLINE   adam1115

adam1115

Godfather

• Registered
  • 306 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:32 PM

It's funny, because when 30 second skip didn't work for what, 8 months, people said "What are you doing that for? Don't you know it's unsupported?"

But we can't FF either. Hmm.

#28 OFFLINE   sbergstc

sbergstc

Legend

• Registered
  • 121 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 07:53 PM

Add me to the list... Had an HR34 installed a week ago and now when using FF the show appears paused on the screen so I am unable to even see how far the program has progressed. It's really a pain in the neck. But thanks to the posts in this thread I'm coping a little better using the 30 sec skip. It takes several jumps, like 6-7 but it works.
SBerg
"...remember, no matter where you go, there you are!" Buckaroo Banzai :grin:

#29 OFFLINE   Tom Servo

Tom Servo

Icon

• Registered
  • 949 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 10:37 AM

30 Sec Skip works for me on the Genie itself, but on my C31 clients, it often skips to tick instead. Very frustrating. I've posted a couple times about the issue, but I guess I am the only one with the problem. It occurs using 30 sec skip via the remote or as I found last night, via the iPad app remote.

Nope, you're not alone. I just got my Genie stuff installed yesterday and this morning was an, er, eye-opening experience with the C31.

Maybe it'll smooth out once everything is updated and rebooted, but I couldn't fast forward or 30-second skip ANYTHING on the C31 without it just going straight to the end.

I also cannot use the arrow keys to navigate menu lists without it hanging up, then jumping to the bottom followed by hundreds of "bonk" sounds. It seems to be interpreting a single keypress as either one or jillion presses at random! :eek2:

The whole idea of having the C31 was for the rare times I'd want to watch something in another room, so it won't be seeing a ton of use. But it's disappointing knowing it doesn't even come close to working as well as one would expect.

#30 OFFLINE   Ned C

Ned C

AllStar

• Registered
  • 88 posts
  • LocationRacine WI

Posted 28 March 2013 - 03:12 PM

Don't know why this is turning into such a problem. But a problem it is.
You would think the software issue could be copied from the previous builds and applied to the Genie.. YEAH, YEAH, I know it's being addressed.. But when?????
If things were easy, we wouldn't be here !!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...