Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DVR connected to Phone Line?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   JackBikes

JackBikes

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:52 AM

When I first got the DVR several years ago, I had to string a phone line to it for the guide and it's been connected ever since. Recently I bought the WiFi connection box and now the DVR has a link to the Internet. My question is do I still need the phone line to be connected?
HR21-200 DVR
42" Sharp Aquos LCD TV
Sharp Blue Ray DVD
Sony AV receiver w/ Bose speakers

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,488 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 12 January 2013 - 12:21 PM

You do not need the phone line for anything except to order PPV using your remote.
If you are connected to the internet with your DVR you can pay for it that way.
Other than that it is not necessary.
None of my 3 receivers are connected to a phone line.

The Guide Info does not come from a phone line for your receiver. It comes from the satellite.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#3 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,944 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:23 PM

Only thing you will lose would be caller id if you used that. Nothing else.

#4 OFFLINE   JackBikes

JackBikes

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 05:04 PM

Thanks for the answers. I don't do PPV and my phone has caller ID, so looks like I don't need it. I have unplugged the line from the wall and will leave it that way for a while. If no change I will remove the cable that goes up & down the fireplace, across the wall, over the doorway and down, then to the box. It's been that way for a long time. I appreciate the the quick response.
HR21-200 DVR
42" Sharp Aquos LCD TV
Sharp Blue Ray DVD
Sony AV receiver w/ Bose speakers

#5 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,944 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 12 January 2013 - 05:20 PM

There won't be a change :)

Oh, though if you ever do a system test, you will get a failure. One test checks for a dial tone.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...