Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Limited HD Programming

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dishhdwonderer

dishhdwonderer

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 07:10 PM

True or False?

Does DISH Network regulate or limit the amount of air time of HD programming? I was told that DISH HD subscribers are really only receiving approximately 4 hours per day of HD programming.
:scratch:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   mikeren1

mikeren1

AllStar

• Registered
  • 55 posts
  • LocationJax, Fl

Posted 12 January 2013 - 07:11 PM

wow:confused:

#3 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,779 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 12 January 2013 - 07:29 PM

True or False?

Does DISH Network regulate or limit the amount of air time of HD programming? I was told that DISH HD subscribers are really only receiving approximately 4 hours per day of HD programming.

I believe only the RSNs are part time with DISH. The national HD channels are full time.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#4 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,785 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 13 January 2013 - 12:02 AM

This seems like it is from way out of left field. Who would even start that kind of rumor? It is so absurdly wrong that even someone who hates Dish surely wouldn't be making that kind of thing up.

There are some non-full-time channels... but there are lots of full-time (or at least as full-time as they are anywhere else) full-time HD channels.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#5 OFFLINE   BillJ

BillJ

Icon

• Registered
  • 830 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 06:27 AM

Sounds like DISH is the subject of attacks by someone. There's a thread on General forum that's equally ridiculous. Maybe the broadcast networks have nothing better to do than get revenge for the Hopper? Maybe another satellite company? Or more likely an immature fool who needs to get out of his room and get a life.

#6 OFFLINE   ts7

ts7

Mentor

• Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 07:59 AM

Could be referring to Dish's compression. However if Dish is providing 4 hrs of full, uncompressed HD each day, I think that puts them ahead of other providers! ;)

#7 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,098 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 10:03 AM

True or False?

False. And I don't know how to put it more clearly. Whomever told you that was wrong.

DISH has 115 channels of HD - without counting the Pay Per View, Regional Sports and Video on Demand offerings. For that to add up to only 4 hours would be crazy (and since 99 of those 115 channels are also on DirecTV, one making that "4 hour" claim would also be insulting other providers).

Thanks for the laugh.

#8 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 10:07 AM

Could be referring to Dish's compression. However if Dish is providing 4 hrs of full, uncompressed HD each day, I think that puts them ahead of other providers! ;)

Uncompressed?
DTV = Digital Television

#9 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,973 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 13 January 2013 - 11:46 AM

Uncompressed?

another rumor ...

perhaps he is thinking about resolution and GOP numbers ?
1440x1080i and 30+ GOPs for dish

#10 OFFLINE   domingos35

domingos35

Icon

• Registered
  • 536 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:44 PM

Uncompressed?

unlike directv

#11 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 02:07 PM

It does seem to be a strange first post to me though.

#12 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 04:17 PM

Uncompressed?

No television provider anywhere delivers uncompressed video. LOL. There aren't any that even provide lossless compression; it's all lossy compression of one form or another.

The differences are in resolution, codec, and bitrate.

Commercial & Residential Satellite System Design & Installation
DirecTV, Dish Network & Free-To-Air

#13 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 04:28 PM

unlike directv

Unlike DirecTV? I hope you realize that there isn't a single provider anywhere in the world distributing uncompressed video. Even Blu-ray is compressed.

Dish Network has plenty of flaws (HD-Lite, fewer HD channels than DirecTV, far too many part-time HD channels, missing RSN's from the nation's #1 DMA, theft, protracted retrans disputes, etc.), but the complaint mentioned by the OP is bogus.
DTV = Digital Television

#14 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 04:28 PM

No television provider anywhere delivers uncompressed video. LOL. There aren't any that even provide lossless compression; it's all lossy compression of one form or another.

I know. I was only wondering if they meant something else.
DTV = Digital Television

#15 OFFLINE   ts7

ts7

Mentor

• Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:41 AM

That was my tongue-in-cheek point. If Dish delivered 4 hrs of uncompressed video a day, that would make them the leader. LOL

Perhaps I should have said the OP may have been referring to Dish's "downrezzing" or "HDLite" debate of times past.

Personally I noticed a negligible difference between the HD on Dish vs DirecTV but nothing that was going to effect my viewing. On the other hand I found SD to be superior on Dish.

I think the OP heard some rumours that may have had some factual basis but were distorted and blown way out of proportion. The bottom line is that Dish, DirecTV and the cable companies retransmit HD signals in HD format on the channels they designate as HD though not every channel necessarily carries HD programming 24x7. Every carrier has a different mix of HD channel lineups. Compression formats, downrezzing and other technical issues aside, the majority of the viewing public couldn't tell the difference between HD on one provider or another.

#16 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,973 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:53 AM

Actually anyone knows when the squeezing video does come to unacceptable level - any untrained eye can recognize macro-blocking and halos. People complaining a lot about the issues, not counting millions of sport fans when edge's jagging become remarkable during watching fast moving players.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...