Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Order from DISH directly or OE provider?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ilyag2

ilyag2

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 12:04 PM

Cx'ing DTV today and ordering Hopper with Sling adapter. No plan to wait around for the DTV's HR44. After 12 years, NFLST just isn't enough to keep me.

So, is it best to order from DISH directly? I see a number of local installers online from whom I can order ("OE" providers?) - some even offer bonus $ @ 50-150. DISH rep offering $50.

My question is specifically about getting the best service from the time of ordering through installation. Much like DTV, DISH CSRs don't seem very service oriented - just want the sale.

I appreciate any guidance. Thx.

Edited by ilyag2, 13 January 2013 - 12:17 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,214 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 12:20 PM

My personal preference would be through a reputable local installing retailer (not all are reputable, so please check local sources). I would not buy from any reseller who does not do their own installs (eg: the cell phone kiosk at the mall selling DISH).

If a local installing retailer was not available I'd just call DISH directly.

Using a third party reseller can lead to "extra discounts" but make sure you read all the fine print. Extra discounts come with additional commitment. Most likely you will be making a commitment to the retailer - above and beyond your commitment to DISH. If that is OK with you then it can work out. But I don't like add on commitments.

(You note that CSRs "just want the sale" ... imagine what a non-installing reseller wants. All they do is sell, sell, sell all day long - with customer service after install coming from the satellite company, not the reseller. That is one reason why I avoid non-installers.)

#3 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,160 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 02:09 PM

Don't be discouraged if you get people who do not know or have info on the Hopper w/sling since it isn't being released until 1/17.

#4 OFFLINE   BNUMM

BNUMM

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,078 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 04:40 PM

My personal preference would be through a reputable local installing retailer (not all are reputable, so please check local sources). I would not buy from any reseller who does not do their own installs (eg: the cell phone kiosk at the mall selling DISH).

If a local installing retailer was not available I'd just call DISH directly.

Using a third party reseller can lead to "extra discounts" but make sure you read all the fine print. Extra discounts come with additional commitment. Most likely you will be making a commitment to the retailer - above and beyond your commitment to DISH. If that is OK with you then it can work out. But I don't like add on commitments.

(You note that CSRs "just want the sale" ... imagine what a non-installing reseller wants. All they do is sell, sell, sell all day long - with customer service after install coming from the satellite company, not the reseller. That is one reason why I avoid non-installers.)

Jim is exactly right. I install for a local retailer that is excellent. Just make sure you check them out first.

#5 OFFLINE   ilyag2

ilyag2

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:31 PM

Thanks for the advice.
I decided to go with a local, reputable retailer.
I gave him all of my info and am scheduled for an install Thursday.

Unfortunately, he called me today to tell me DISH has locked me out of the system for 90 days. Something happened during his entry of the order. He said he had to put my info in twice (run my credit twice, too!), then got the lock out notification. Apparently, at this point, I can't order thru anyone but DISH.

After spending an hour on the phone with DISH today with 5 different reps (a sales rep who only wanted to make a sale, 2 csrs who inadvertently transferred me out to the main menu, a tech support guy who transferred me back to sales, and then finally a csr who explained the problem), we uncovered the issue.

For heavens sake, I am not even a customer yet!

It turns out that someone with my phone #, which I have had for 10 years, had a DISH account with it for 7 years. Makes no sense, but that conflict apparently locked the local retailer out.

The last CSR transferred me to an "ID" rep who cleared the issue but I can still only order through DISH now.

I called the retailer back and he said he would give DISH commercial a call tomorrow to try and clear but he doubts it will be possible.

I have to say that I remain very unimpressed, in fact, disappointed, with DISH.

#6 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:50 AM

It turns out that someone with my phone #, which I have had for 10 years, had a DISH account with it for 7 years. Makes no sense,

You may think it makes no sense but it happens pretty damn often, its why Fact ACT (the "ID" team) exists. Theres some less then reputable dealers who will do anything for a sale, and sometimes that means using numbers not associated with the client there signing up.
Theres several other ways for this to happen but its usually due to retailers.

I know first hand how annoying going through the ID guys is, as Ive had to deal with them many times when working there but fact of the matter is if they didnt exist you would wish they would.

In there eyes it was more probable that the original customer of 7 years with that number was the legit customer and that you were the one trying to get around the system, they are just trying to protect customers and honestly they manage to block out alot of fraud and phishing attempts by doing these "disappointing" things.

#7 OFFLINE   sloop30

sloop30

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:52 PM

Thanks for the advice.
I decided to go with a local, reputable retailer.
I gave him all of my info and am scheduled for an install Thursday.

Unfortunately, he called me today to tell me DISH has locked me out of the system for 90 days. Something happened during his entry of the order. He said he had to put my info in twice (run my credit twice, too!), then got the lock out notification. Apparently, at this point, I can't order thru anyone but DISH.

After spending an hour on the phone with DISH today with 5 different reps (a sales rep who only wanted to make a sale, 2 csrs who inadvertently transferred me out to the main menu, a tech support guy who transferred me back to sales, and then finally a csr who explained the problem), we uncovered the issue.

For heavens sake, I am not even a customer yet!

It turns out that someone with my phone #, which I have had for 10 years, had a DISH account with it for 7 years. Makes no sense, but that conflict apparently locked the local retailer out.

The last CSR transferred me to an "ID" rep who cleared the issue but I can still only order through DISH now.

I called the retailer back and he said he would give DISH commercial a call tomorrow to try and clear but he doubts it will be possible.

I have to say that I remain very unimpressed, in fact, disappointed, with DISH.

I sent you a pm...

#8 OFFLINE   ilyag2

ilyag2

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:24 PM

The update to this is that the retailer (a preferred DISH retailer, according to DISH) had no way of getting the hold lifted. He said he could try a few other options but no guarantees. I thanked him but cx'd my order. He was sorry for my experience.

I suppose I am free to contact DISH directly at this point and order. Not sure I want to.

I have no problem with an ID center. That makes perfect sense. I am sure this happens every now and again. What they lack is a Customer Care center.

Has anybody every tried order through the website? It seems pretty straight forward.

#9 OFFLINE   patmurphey

patmurphey

Godfather

• Registered
  • 518 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:02 AM

I wouldn't worry about dealing direct, I have had excellent service from them with the initial installation and many upgrades. They have gone out of their way through multiple efforts to deal with a difficult line of sight issue, when switching to the Eastern Arc. I have no complaints.

The update to this is that the retailer (a preferred DISH retailer, according to DISH) had no way of getting the hold lifted. He said he could try a few other options but no guarantees. I thanked him but cx'd my order. He was sorry for my experience.

I suppose I am free to contact DISH directly at this point and order. Not sure I want to.

I have no problem with an ID center. That makes perfect sense. I am sure this happens every now and again. What they lack is a Customer Care center.

Has anybody every tried order through the website? It seems pretty straight forward.

#10 OFFLINE   Cruiser

Cruiser

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:19 AM

There was a post on this topic from someone at Satellite Solutions that was removed. It was a reply that was very specific about them not having you sign a seperate contract and not charging additional fees. Since I was thinking about signing up with SS, I'm wondering if there's something that they said that caused their post to be removed? In other words, should I be concerned about doing business with them?

Edited by Cruiser, 16 January 2013 - 11:33 AM.
sp

#11 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,214 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:45 PM

I don't see any removed posts in the edit history of this thread, but if the post was a sales pitch it could be deleted as advertising.

#12 OFFLINE   Cruiser

Cruiser

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:34 PM

I don't see any removed posts in the edit history of this thread, but if the post was a sales pitch it could be deleted as advertising.

I guess it could have been construed by the mods as advertising, although it appeared to me to be more of a statement referring to the difference between a good and a bad DAR. I believe the post was from a DAR who is well known on this forum. I also see where my other post on this subject has been locked, so perhaps I'm also breaking some unknown rule for inquiring?

#13 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,214 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:50 PM

Posts are not wiped from the database when they are "deleted", they are simply removed from public view. As a moderator I can see deleted posts and the post you describe does not exist. Perhaps you saw it elsewhere ... but it is hard to tell you why a precise post was deleted when it cannot be found, even by moderators.

And as noted in the closed thread, the appropriate way to ask would be to send a PM to a moderator (any moderator). The discussion forums are for discussing DISH network or the topic of the forums - not complaining about allegedly missing posts.

:backtotop DISH directly or OE provider?

#14 OFFLINE   ilyag2

ilyag2

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:57 AM

If anyone is interested, I thought I'd post a status update.

I tried placing an order directly with a DISH CSR. Unfortunately, I am still locked out for 90 days (for my own protection), even though ID said I had been cleared. Apparently, DISH is being told that there is a discrepancy on my credit report (name doesn't match SS# or address, or something like that).

I called Equifax again, via a number the retailer provided me. This Equifax dep't specifically deals with reported discrepancies. I gave them all my info and again they said all of the data on their end matches.

So, I called DISH back and after a while they moved me up to something like "executive assistance". The person there ran my credit again and still the same thing.

As Equifax was already closed last night, she gave me her direct tele# (you know she must be really high up ;)) to call her today. And so I did. And, of course, straight to voice mail. I left two messages but she never called me back. Her v/m says she'll do her best to return calls within 48-72 hours.

As is stands I am locked out for 90 days. I've talked to probably 12 people at DISH over the last three days (csrs, supervisors, techs, et al) and still no solution.

I hear what people are saying about how DISH is apt to go the distance to resolve issues - definitely not the case here. One after another passed the buck.

#15 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:47 AM

Posts are not wiped from the database when they are "deleted", they are simply removed from public view. As a moderator I can see deleted posts and the post you describe does not exist.

Not entirely true.
Generally unless the usergroup has been tinkered with vB super mods (the same usergroup your in) should have perm delete/removal by default. By using this method of deletion the only way to view the deleted post is if you have DB access (which super mods generally dont.)

If you dont know about this type of delete then my first assumption is you either are choosing not to mention it or simply dont have it.. If its the latter then I'll assume only admin level users have it on this board and logic could dictate one of them deleted it and didnt inform anyone :)

#16 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:52 AM

If anyone is interested, I thought I'd post a status update.

I tried placing an order directly with a DISH CSR. Unfortunately, I am still locked out for 90 days (for my own protection), even though ID said I had been cleared. Apparently, DISH is being told that there is a discrepancy on my credit report (name doesn't match SS# or address, or something like that).

I called Equifax again, via a number the retailer provided me. This Equifax dep't specifically deals with reported discrepancies. I gave them all my info and again they said all of the data on their end matches.

So, I called DISH back and after a while they moved me up to something like "executive assistance". The person there ran my credit again and still the same thing.

As Equifax was already closed last night, she gave me her direct tele# (you know she must be really high up ;)) to call her today. And so I did. And, of course, straight to voice mail. I left two messages but she never called me back. Her v/m says she'll do her best to return calls within 48-72 hours.

As is stands I am locked out for 90 days. I've talked to probably 12 people at DISH over the last three days (csrs, supervisors, techs, et al) and still no solution.

I hear what people are saying about how DISH is apt to go the distance to resolve issues - definitely not the case here. One after another passed the buck.

Front line agents cant do anything about it and neither can there supervisors.
You see it as passing the buck, as a former agent I see it as them transfering you to someone who can deal with it.
You being transferred to a supervisor says that you probably requested a supervisor rather then letting the agent transfer you to ERT first, as any competent agent would know there sup. cant do anything about this.

I have no clue why your still talking to techs too lol, not sure if you mean literal install techs or if you mean tech support.. but none the less neither can help you.

Did you get the ERT agents OP ID? Chances are shes probably not in office, but if you ever want to get direct access to them without dealing with a voice mail, call in and ask the front line agent to instant message there supervisor and have them transfer you to that ERT agents phone, with the op ID it wouldn't take any longer then a minute for that supervisor to find there transfer info.

#17 OFFLINE   Cruiser

Cruiser

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:15 PM

Not entirely true.
Generally unless the usergroup has been tinkered with vB super mods (the same usergroup your in) should have perm delete/removal by default. By using this method of deletion the only way to view the deleted post is if you have DB access (which super mods generally dont.)

If you dont know about this type of delete then my first assumption is you either are choosing not to mention it or simply dont have it.. If its the latter then I'll assume only admin level users have it on this board and logic could dictate one of them deleted it and didnt inform anyone :)

Thanks fo jumping in Inkosaurus. For a minute there I was beginning to think I was starting to get senile and losing my mind ;)

#18 OFFLINE   ilyag2

ilyag2

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:48 PM

You see it as passing the buck, as a former agent I see it as them transfering you to someone who can deal with it.

DISH's failure to transfer me to someone with the ability to deal with it is why I see it as passing the buck. I didn't ask for a supervisor or tech support. I just told whoever was listening the problem and they transferred me to whomever they thought could help. Why would I know what an ERT is, let alone know to ask for one?

You shouldn't make assumptions nor be an apologist for a system that is clearly flawed.

But I appreciate the tip re: ERT. I will try that now.:)

#19 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:04 PM

DISH's failure to transfer me to someone with the ability to deal with it is why I see it as passing the buck. I didn't ask for a supervisor or tech support. I just told whoever was listening the problem and they transferred me to whomever they thought could help. Why would I know what an ERT is, let alone know to ask for one?

You shouldn't make assumptions nor be an apologist for a system that is clearly flawed.

But I appreciate the tip re: ERT. I will try that now.:)

I assumed you knew what ERT was due to you speaking to them, i figured they would have said they were ERT (executive resolution team) sometime after you were told you had been transferred to Executive Assistance lol.

Im not trying to be an apologist, I worked there and know full well about the flaws and spent a lot of time on the internal forums pointing them out to Dish (much to there chagrin). But I also spent plenty of time learning customers never divulge all of the details :P

#20 OFFLINE   Jon J

Jon J

Grouch Extrordinaire

• Registered
  • 1,154 posts
  • LocationMusic City, USA

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:49 AM

Is there a way to find out who is really local without calling every listing in the yellow pages (I count about 40 in the Nashville book) claiming to be authorized Dish retailers? The only retailer that shows up on the Dish website was 35 miles away but seems to be out of business.

Edited by Jon J, 18 January 2013 - 11:34 AM.

When news breaks...we fix it.

spam firewall