Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

What to do with a customer owned 722K?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jreaves

jreaves

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 02:13 PM

Due to pine tree growth I can no longer get a Line of Sight to either the Dish Eastern arc or the Western arc satellites. I had a leased 722k and a customer owned 722K. I terminated the dish service and went with Directv. Dish said I only had to return the leased 722K and could keep the other one. Then they sent me an E-mail saying that I could not sell or reactivate the customer owned 722k on another account as it was tied to my account.

My question is what do I do with a customer owned 722k that is in perfect condition but will never be able to use it again? Can it be sold for parts or do I just take it to the local electronics recycle location?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   3HaloODST

3HaloODST

Godfather

• Registered
  • 472 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 02:59 PM

Sell it on eBay.

2 Hoppers w/Sling / 2 Hopper 2000s / 1 Joey

1 ViP722k (separate account)

#3 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 04:44 PM

(I'm an independent installer)

Is the 722 no transfer policy new?

I mediated a sale between 2 customers, and DISH activated the 722 on the buyers account with only the usual amount of booting, rebooting, terms and conditions, rebooting, hold time, call transferred to somebody else, rebooting again, almost rolled a truck and then it came on and we were good to go.

This was probably September 2012.

#4 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,988 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 13 January 2013 - 04:48 PM

OP must call and say he want release the DVR from his [old] account and terminate his ownership (if no outstanding balance on it, obviously), then he could sell or gift it.

#5 OFFLINE   jreaves

jreaves

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:04 PM

After a long call that finally got transferred to a supervisor level person at DISH, they agreed to remove the customer owned 722K receiver from my account since there was no balance due. Quite a bit of hassle but worked.

Below is the original E-mail I received from DISH:
--------------------------------------------------------------------
You have recently cancelled your DISH subscription.

Per your agreement, you are responsible for returning your equipment. Please review the information below to determine what equipment to return.

VIP722K R0122852098 Return Required
VIP722K R0127817775 Return Not Required

For your convenience we will send empty boxes and shipping labels to the address below. Return instructions will be included with the empty boxes.

[Address Removed]

Do not attempt to sell any equipment that does not need to be returned. This equipment is tied to your DISH account and cannot be transferred to another DISH customer.

Thank you,

DISH

#6 OFFLINE   puckwithahalo

puckwithahalo

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:32 AM

OP must call and say he want release the DVR from his [old] account and terminate his ownership (if no outstanding balance on it, obviously), then he could sell or gift it.

As far as I know he shouldn't have had to do that. As long as I've been at dish, as long as the receiver was disables, customer owned, and there was no past due balance on the account, it can be transferred to another account with pretty much no questions asked.
The postings on this site are my own and don't represent Dish's positions, strategies, or opinions.

-Puck

#7 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,988 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:45 AM

you don't know all details ... I did post same answer a couple years before and the process is still there

#8 OFFLINE   some guy

some guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:56 AM

As far as I know he shouldn't have had to do that. As long as I've been at dish, as long as the receiver was disables, customer owned, and there was no past due balance on the account, it can be transferred to another account with pretty much no questions asked.

This is the process, owned and clear balance then the new owner calls and adds it to their account. The original owner does NOT need to call and clear it first.

#9 OFFLINE   some guy

some guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:57 AM

you don't know all details ... I did post same answer a couple years before and the process is still there

The details don't matter, owned and clean balance and transfer. The owner doesn't need to call and remove it, that's incorrect.

#10 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,988 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:29 AM

I did that a few times, so it is correct regardless what is you telling here.

#11 OFFLINE   some guy

some guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:52 AM

P smith, why don't you ask a dirt member if the owner must call and clear it and you will see your info is wrong. If its owned and clear balance, the new owner can get it transferred on their own. That is the policy regardless of your personal experience. I've transferred equipment many times without ever needing the original owner to call and remove it from their own account.

#12 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,988 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:42 PM

P smith, why don't you ask a dirt member if the owner must call and clear it and you will see your info is wrong. If its owned and clear balance, the new owner can get it transferred on their own. That is the policy regardless of your personal experience. I've transferred equipment many times without ever needing the original owner to call and remove it from their own account.

Don't chase me, just read from other posters. At least pay attention to OP posts:

After a long call that finally got transferred to a supervisor level person at DISH, they agreed to remove the customer owned 722K receiver from my account since there was no balance due. Quite a bit of hassle but worked...

#13 OFFLINE   some guy

some guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:54 PM

From my experience, does the owner need to contact dish to remove it first, no.

Edited by some guy, 16 January 2013 - 04:59 PM.

#14 OFFLINE   supermod38

supermod38

Mentor

• DBSTalk Club
  • 67 posts
  • LocationCentral VA.

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:49 AM

supermod38
supermod38 is online now SatelliteGuys Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Become a Pub Member Today!

I sold a 222K on E-bay three days after deactivation. NEVER called to have it removed from my account!!! :D:D:D

I'm not here for a long time, just a GOOD time!
HR34 lease- Vizio 26"
C-31-lease-32" Emerson
HR24-owned-RCA 46"

H24- owned- :righton:

#15 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,988 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:25 AM

YMMV

#16 OFFLINE   Bradrlz

Bradrlz

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:34 PM

What is the benefit of owning the box yourself?

#17 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,988 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:20 PM

could resell it, no contract, you can swap HDD if old one is dead, you can open a cover and add a fan to cool down the killing heat, you could paint it pink to please your wife, etc

Protected By... spam firewall...And...