Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

2012-13 Season Ratings - Winter

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,318 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:31 AM

I have gotten a bit behind again, but by the end of next week I have more time as my temporary gig will end at the end of next week. Easier to read spreadsheet html version of each day requested by some can be accessed by clicking on the image.

Posted Image

As is frequently the case, an NFL playoff made Sunday's ratings meaningless.

Posted Image

CBS who the demo and the over 50 crowd. There isn't much else to say other than "The Following" premier came in second in its hour but may have trouble holding it.

Posted Image

What this set of ratings proves is that a lot of people don't watch TV if CBS runs reruns. Other than that, "The Taste" premier did fine, but when the top rated show on TV returns from reruns.....

Posted Image

"Idol" continues it's year-to-year slide. It will be interesting to see what happens when CBS premiers a new season of "Survivor." However, CBS did only win the 10 pm slot. ABC's "Nashville" continues its slide.

Posted Image

With CBS running reruns, the night was wide open. The thing is, Nielsen February sweeps starts next Thursday, January 31, and runs through February 27. Except against "Idol" CBS has the most viewers even with reruns.

I'll have tonight's results tomorrow and take a look at the week's averages.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,318 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 08:06 PM

Posted Image

Except for the two "news" show, this was a night of reruns.

Posted Image

Here are the averages for the three weeks. If one factors out "American Idol" on Fox, CBS has twice the live viewing audience of any other broadcast network. Because CBS had the Sunday NFL playoff game, even with "Idol" in the mix this week CBS averaged twice the live viewing audience running a lot of reruns. I hope they are paying Les Moonves a lot of money.

Next Thursday is the start of February sweeps. It will be interesting to see what happens as other networks introduce new series into the mix.

A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup

#23 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,318 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:54 PM

Posted Image

You can click on the image above to see a larger version.

Again, we have an NFL game, the Pro Bowl, to distort the ratings. And, of course, it did not appear at the same time in every time zone. Nonetheless, CBS chose to run new episodes of its shows and did ok.

I haven't been able to find ratings for "Downton Abbey" since the season premier. I would be curious to see if those ratings are meaningful.

My AV Setup

#24 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,497 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:45 AM

..."Mob Doctor" which we loved,...

Really? Who's "we"? Got a mouse in your pocket? That thing is deader than Conrad Bain, and for a good reason, which is that "we", hardly loved it.

OK, that was probably harsh; I should not bash, you've done some really great hard work here. But no one is going to digest those numbers in a dry chart.

Here is what I suggest: write a program in Excel or Numbers that automatically imports these numbers into a 3-D bar chart. X axis is shows, Y axis is timeslot, Z axis is ratings. Then we could see at a glance where a show is, and how that relates to other shows. Do the same thing with a single show (make the X axis previous weeks) and we could see trends.

Do that well enough and you could start your own website. John Hein sold "Jump the Shark" for 4 mil.

Edited by TomCat, 29 January 2013 - 08:52 AM.

It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#25 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,600 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:15 AM

Really? Who's "we"? Got a mouse in your pocket? That thing is deader than Conrad Bain, and for a good reason, which is that "we", hardly loved it.

OK, that was probably harsh; I should not bash, you've done some really great hard work here. But no one is going to digest those numbers in a dry chart.

Generally, "we" would refer to a poster and his spouse, sig. other, family, etc.
And, mercifully, harsh has not entered this thread. So your bashing was hopefully out of character, and entirely unnecessary. Please go to your room and type "I will not bash" 400 times......
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#26 OFFLINE   olguy

olguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:12 AM

Personally I prefer the tables. Dry to you, informative to me. Never have cared for charts. Made 'em in school when required. Numbers have meaning to me. Lines and colors not so much.
Just another old geezer killin' time till time kills me.

#27 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,318 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:35 PM

Posted Image

Again, if you need larger print you can click on the image above.

Some at other web sites are making a big deal about "The Following" actually being up in the demo from its pilot. The truth is that CBS ran reruns of its lineup so you can't tell anything. When you look at the totals for the hour compared to last week, over 4 million fewer folks were watching live network broadcast TV, including 2 million fewer in the demo.

Which brings me to how to present the data.

Here is what I suggest: write a program in Excel or Numbers that automatically imports these numbers into a 3-D bar chart. X axis is shows, Y axis is timeslot, Z axis is ratings. Then we could see at a glance where a show is, and how that relates to other shows. Do the same thing with a single show (make the X axis previous weeks) and we could see trends.

Do that well enough and you could start your own website. John Hein sold "Jump the Shark" for 4 mil.

At the outset, let me say two things:
  • "We" is my wife and I, and her opinion about shows regularly differs from mine which is why only when we are in agreement do I say "we."
  • I enjoy sharing here what I do out of curiosity anyway because I have the time as a retiree. I spent too much time in my life dealing with attorneys, accountants, and the public to ever want to face that on a longer term basis for money.
With regard to data, I'm in the same world as olguy in that the numbers themselves offer information from which one can derive an opinion. Some of the "profit making" TV ratings web sites seem to be looking at "trends" as if they are looking a bar charts and end up saying foolish things like "The Following" may be a keeper at Fox just because its ratings didn't slide in week 2.

In fact, this week CBS' ratings looked liked they plunged even as a percentage of the total viewers. But looking at the table, we can instantly see why - reruns. I simply don't know a good way of factoring in the impact of reruns and specials on a chart or graph without misrepresenting what's going on or confusing people.

But the nice thing about sharing my statistical perspective in a thread in this Forum is that others can contribute their views by commenting. If you want to, you can click on the jpeg of the table and bring up an HTML version I create from Excel and then highlight, copy, and paste it into your own Excel sheet. From that, you can create some charts and share them here. That might be very interesting for all of us.

My AV Setup

#28 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,268 posts
  • LocationNear Houston, TX

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:12 PM

Most of us really appreciate your efforts phrelin. Thanks!

#29 OFFLINE   dennispap

dennispap

Icon

• Registered
  • 651 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:53 PM

Same here. Thanks

#30 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,318 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:46 AM

Posted Image
If you need larger print you can click on the image above.

As usual, "NCIS" gave CBS its usual win. When comparing it to "Idol's" Wednesday numbers, "NCIS" pulls 6 million more viewers. But the makeup of that is 2 million fewer demo viewers and 8 million more over 50 viewers. This is a trend that I believe CBS has effectively adapted to. Consider last night's averages for 8-10 pm.

Posted Image

Yes, CBS did better than the other four networks in the demo. But it averaged 65% of the total over 50 crowd with the other four dividing up the remaining 35%. CBS average 8 times the Fox average in the over 50 crowd. And the over 50 crowd represented 74% of the average total viewers.

What we see on "Idol" Wednesdays is an unreliable 50% jump in the demo. But can a network and its affiliates continue to pretend that attracting 1% of the population is what counts? Do advertisers really only care about getting through to 1% of the population?

But the real issue lies in the fact that without an NFL game only 10% of the population is watching the major broadcast networks in prime time.

My AV Setup

#31 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,318 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:01 PM

Posted Image
If you need larger print you can click on the image above.

Thursday's ratings will be the first day of the Nielsen February Sweeps period. So this particular Wednesday doesn't offer much insight because of reruns.

It appears that some of the "American Idol" audience can be distracted by "squirrels' like "Superbowl Commercials." And maybe that's what happened to "Arrow."

Also, despite the competition running reruns, NBC's "Chicago Fire" did not benefit from NBC having run reruns the past two weeks. NBC's audience seems to lose track of their shows if they run reruns or get preempted by some special.

Some possible distractions include the premier of "The Americans" on FX at 10 pm which pulled a 1.2 demo and 3.22 million total viewers (the second showing 0.5 and 1.01). And, of course, the local ION channels run "WWE Main Event" that tallied a 0.5/1 - 1.62 million from 8 to 9 pm.

My AV Setup

#32 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,318 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:10 PM

Posted Image

And so we move on to the numbers that the advertising community scrutinize carefully - Nielsen February Sweeps.

On Sweeps night #1 we find that "Big Bang Theory" on CBS continues to beat "American Idol" on Fox from 8:00-8:30, but at the half hour "Idol" pulls 4.8/13 - 14.61 million beating "Two and a Half Men".

"Idol" is still strong for Fox, but on on February 4, 2009 it posted 9.9/27 - 26.26 million. And February 3, 2011, a first night of sweeps it posted 7.5/20 -21.78 million. Over four years it has lost 5 million demo viewers and and 7 million 50+ viewers. If Fox had anything else going for it, that might be ok. But in terms of ad revenue, it has to hurt. Fox is, of course, the network that started the big increase in fees to satellite and cable companies to make up for these losses.

At 9 pm "Grey's Anatomy", at one time a real powerhouse for ABC, is now clearly #2 behind "Person Of Interest" on CBS.

At 10 pm, however, "Scandal" gets the demo win with half a million more while "Elementary" pulls 3.2 million more in the 50+ crowd.

NBC...sigh. According to one source, they did edge out Univision in total viewers for the night.

The "30 Rock" one hour series finale couldn't find 5 million viewers. Nor could an hour of "The Office."

And the only real question is whether we'll see a cancellation of "Do No Harm" today with its ratings in the range of a The CW show. It was down 55 percent from last March's premiere of the network's short-lived "Awake." I believe NBC also premiered "The Firm" and "Prime Suspect" in this time slot. NBC has a trust issue in our household because we liked both "Awake" and "Prime Suspect." I may record an NBC show in that time slot for a few episodes, but we're not going to watch it until I'm sure it's a keeper.

Edited by phrelin, 01 February 2013 - 02:19 PM.

My AV Setup

#33 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,318 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:01 PM

I forgot to post the averages, but CBS was the obvious victor for the night:

Posted Image

My AV Setup

#34 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,318 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:21 PM

The cable ratings are in for last night and NBC must realize that the 10 pm premier of "Do No Harm" with its 0.9 million demo - 3.13 million total looks pretty weak when the 10:00 episode of "Suits" on its cable sister USA pulled a 1.0 million demo - 3.36 million total.

My AV Setup

#35 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,318 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 06:40 PM

Posted Image

These ratings don't change much but we'll have to wait until "Touch" returns starting next week. Here's the averages:

Posted Image

CBS is the winner, but only because they pull nearly double the 50+ crowd that ABC pulls for the three hours. Even if we're worth only half as much as the demo, somebody has to start acknowledging that the other nets can't just let CBS have us over 50 folks. We do buy stuff.

My AV Setup

#36 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,318 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:24 PM

If you're waiting breathlessly for Super Bowl Sunday ratings, you'll have to wait as I am for the finals as the "fast nationals" don't provide any meaningful info. In terms of total viewers it looks like the Super Bowl did well - something like 108 million. The 11:15 pm showing of "Elementary" pulled 21 million which pundits dismiss. Everything else, all reruns, had The CW level ratings.

My AV Setup

#37 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,427 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:28 PM

I heard on the radio today that the portion of the SB during the blackout pulled a 46 share.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#38 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,318 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:51 PM

Super Bowl Sunday
Posted Image

I could find no truly meaningful way to present the Super Bowl Sunday ratings. Basically, the game won the night for CBS. The other networks ran reruns. And we again know that there are potentially 110 million viewers who could be watching broadcast TV, and 75-80% choose not to on any given night at any time slot.

Because of the power outage, CBS lost the real potential gain for "Elementary" which is unfortunate for CBS. Had it run at the 10 pm hour EST it is likely it the first half hour would have been seen by another 8-10 million viewers.

What the various half hour numbers for the Super Bowl reflect is (a) some drop due to what at half time appeared to be a rout by the Ravens and (B) the fact of it being live, a fact that for us Bay Area 49er fans, the actual game coverage began at 3:30 pm (and we were watching "Elementary" beginning exactly at 8 pm).

Again, there really isn't any meaning in these numbers except the fact that the network that gets to air the Super Bowl will automatically claim to be the February Sweeps winner. For CBS it's just icing on the cake as their regular programming will win February Sweeps, which brings us to Monday night.

Posted Image

Posted Image

CBS controlled the night in both the demo and total viewers. "The Rules of Engagement" season premier did reasonably well, up 48% from its May finale. "Hawaii Five-0" still controls the 10 pm slot. CBS got no boost from the Super Bowl ads. "2 Broke Girls" at its last new episode outing pulled a 3.7/9 -11.47 million. The suits at CBS would like to find more viewers, but it would have to come from the 75 million potential viewers choosing not to watch broadcast TV last night and most nights.

Fox ran second in the 8-10 pm competition, with both "Bones" and "The Following" down. with "The Following" down from last week's 3.3/8 -9.96 million against reruns on CBS. This lineup seems reasonably strong, at least until ABC brings back "Dancing with the Stars" on March 18, after February Sweeps.

ABC's "The Bachelor" ran a decent #3 in the 8-10pm competition which is OK because it is a less expensive production than Fox's two shows. "Castle" at 10 pm ran slightly weaker in the demo.

NBC in the 8-10 pm competition is solidly trouncing The CW. :sure: The ratings for "Deception" must make some of the ex-NBC-suits grin remembering all the complaining about "Leno" at 10 pm, particularly the complaining from the affiliates who still don't have any lead in to the local news.

My AV Setup

#39 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,318 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:26 PM

As the cable ratings come in, one can't help but note that the 10:00 pm airing of "Teen Mom II" on MTV pulled 2.0 million in the demo and 3.37 million total. That's better than "Deception" (and better in the demo than "Castle").

My AV Setup

#40 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,318 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:27 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image

CBS. The important thing to notice about the ratings is that in both the 8-10 pm competition and the 8-11 pm competition CBS pulled more viewers than all the others combined. Clearly, though, its 10 pm offering "Vegas" isn't up to the standard.

NBC. It is also clear from the ratings that NoBody Cares. The suits at the Comcast running NBCU were heavily into bringing a retooled "Smash" back. Why they would choose to throw good money after bad is unclear. When looking at the 10 pm ratings one has to remember that "Parenthood" pulled about a million more viewers and 0.8 million more in the demo in its final three outings of the season. "Parenthood" deserved about 30% more "buzz" than "Smash" because it was a great season from the point of view of writing, directing, and ensemble cast acting. NBC is too close to the New York-LA critics and distant from the viewers.

ABC ran a two hour "The Bachelor" from 9-11 pm which locked up the #2 slot for the night.

Fox apparently has accepted the #3 slot with its comedies as we see "New Girl' gradually declining.

The CW is a bit of a mystery. The series finale of the short lived "Emily Owens MD" ran no worse than "Hart of Dixie" but the network dumped poor Emily early on. I'm beginning to accept the idea that live broadcast ratings are only a part of the consideration - apparently web streaming is a significant revenue generator at The CW.

My AV Setup

spam firewall