Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

2012-13 Season Ratings - Winter

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,123 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:51 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

CBS. Les Moonves, President and Chief Executive Officer of CBS Corporation, must feel a bit of frustration about Wednsdays during February Sweeps. They just can't figure a way to control Wednesday because of "American Idol" on Fox. Next week CBS will premier "Survivor" which might get them the #2 position, but Wednesday's are troublesome.

Fox. "American Idol" was down down substantially from last week.

ABC's Comedy lineup is a mixed bag, but it's good enough to get them the #2 slot in the 8-10 PM demo. It doesn't offset "Nashville" which is #3 at 10 PM and drops them to third place in the 8-11 competition. "Nashville" is certainly a ratings disappointment for ABC.

NBC. "Whitney" and "Guys with Kids" are running way to close to The CW's "Arrow." And "L&O:SVU" should be planning a wrap up show in May. On the other hand "Chicago Fire" is running #2, as NBC's only 10 PM show not #3.

The CW's "Arrow" seems to be it's only show of the week to actually get a million in the demo.

Edited by phrelin, 07 February 2013 - 10:22 PM.
typo

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,123 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:26 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

CBS won the night's averages, but "Elementary" is not winning the 10 PM time slot in the demo.

ABC's shows had a slight gain, but of course they are behind CBS in the 50+ viewers and the new 8 PM show "Zero Hour" won't premier until next week.

Fox. "American Idol" did not win its hour. When you look at the two half hours you see this:

8:00-8:30
American Idol 3.8/11 - 12.32
Big Bang Theory 6.1/18 -17.51

8:30-9:00
American Idol 4.4/12 - 13.99
2½ Men 4.1/11 - 13.72

It's obvious "Big Bang Theory" has an amazing draw for a sitcom particularly against "Idol", a fact that must drive Fox suits nuts.

"Glee" is running #3.

NBC. The 8 to 10 comedy lineup clearly beat The CW. The ratings for "Do No Harm" are below many The CW shows. Now what problem did the affiliates have with Leno at 10 PM?

The CW. There is not much to comment on. I'm not even sure why they are kept in the ratings - Univision does better.

A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup

#43 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,123 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 07:07 PM

I am usually puzzled about decisions NBC makes.

But in an article about Christina Applegate leaving "Up All Night" I read this:

Ratings remained low, but NBC didn't want to cancel the show and lose a sterling cast. "We are not fools. We know that talented cast of actors; they're not growing on trees," NBC Entertainment President Jennifer Salke said in January.

Ms. Salke apparently doesn't understand that TV viewers are not all that star-struck.

Maybe a talented cast of actors is not growing on trees, but I'm forever amazed at how a show like "Person of Interest" starring Jim Caviezel and Taraji P. Henson can appear out of nowhere to be strong against "Grey's Anatomy" starring Ellen Pompeo and Patrick Dempsey, which appeared out of nowhere. Quick - name another starring role any of them had. If you can come up with one off the top of your head, you keep track of these things or are a stalker.

Just my opinion, of course, but NBC suits need to move to the suburbs and work in a mall.

My AV Setup

#44 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,123 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:40 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

ABC won the demo in a Friday that has to disturb a couple of other networks.

CBS. "The Job" premiered to disturbingly low ratings, well below "Undercover Boss." And the "CSI" crossover to "CSI: NY' did nothing for the latter.

Fox. The season premier of "Touch" had disturbingly low ratings, but what is not seen in the chart above or in many other sites that show the full two hour averages is this:

8:00 1.1/ 4 - 3.99 million
8:30 1.1/ 3 - 3.89 million
9:00 1.0/ 3 - 3.73 million
9:30 0.8/ 2 - 3.36 million

That drop off is an ominous sign of things to come.

NBC beat CBS out for #2 in the 8-10 pm competition with a "news" show.

The CW. What can I say....

Saturday has been lost as a broadcast TV day for years. Friday is headed that way.

Maybe CBS can sell enough geriatric products to support a show like "Blue Bloods" because we oldsters like Tom Selleck (68) and Len Cariou (73), supported by the next generation Donnie Wahlberg (43), Bridget Moynahan (42), Amy Carlson (45), and that youngster Will Estes (34), along with a slew of great-grandkids. But I'm not sure how long that can last.

Fox, which only has 15 hours of programming to sell, two of which are on Saturday, has to be wondering what they can do with Friday.

My AV Setup

#45 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,063 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 09 February 2013 - 03:24 PM

I am usually puzzled about decisions NBC makes.

But in an article about Christina Applegate leaving "Up All Night" I read this: Ms. Salke apparently doesn't understand that TV viewers are not all that star-struck.

Maybe a talented cast of actors is not growing on trees, but I'm forever amazed at how a show like "Person of Interest" starring Jim Caviezel and Taraji P. Henson can appear out of nowhere to be strong against "Grey's Anatomy" starring Ellen Pompeo and Patrick Dempsey, which appeared out of nowhere. Quick - name another starring role any of them had. If you can come up with one off the top of your head, you keep track of these things or are a stalker.

Just my opinion, of course, but NBC suits need to move to the suburbs and work in a mall.

Well Caviezel was in Jesus Christ. And Taraji was in some Lifetime or cable network cop show that I used to really like. I think it was about a group of female San Francisco police inspectors.

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#46 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,123 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:08 PM

Posted Image

Last Sunday was Super Bowl Sunday, meaning CBS had the Super Bowl and none of the other networks bothered to offer anything but weak reruns. This Sunday was Grammy Sunday.

CBS had The Grammy's. Enough said.

Fox ran it's usual lineup of animated shows which were down about 10%.

ABC ran it's usual lineup of shows which were down about 15%.

NBC ran reruns including a rerun of "Dateline." NBC apparently will offer some new Sunday programming sometime in March. In the meantime, it seems like we should be dropping them from the ratings much as was done when The CW quit providing programming for Sundays.:nono:

My AV Setup

#47 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,123 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:38 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

CBS. There is a drop in the ratings for the Monday comedy lineup. Last week CBS got a boost from its promos during the Super Bowl. But the eye network will have to keep an eye on this. "Hawaii Five-0" has had real competition from ABC's "Castle."

ABC. "The Bachelor" gained significantly over past weeks.

Fox. While "Bones" seems to have its audience, "The Following" is following the pattern of other Fox shows with a slow but steady decline in followers.

NBC has a solid lead over The CW for 4th place.

The CW's Monday lineup is performing dreadfully. To put this in perspective Univision averaged a 1.6 rating with adults 18-49 and 3.8 million viewers, which means The CW is not in 5th place among national broadcast networks. In fact, Univision does out perform NBC some nights.

My AV Setup

#48 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,123 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:14 PM

Tuesday "The State of the Union" speech preempted prime time programming. TV-by-the-Numbers noted: "Univision was the number one network in adults 18-49, while CBS won with total viewers." Thus there are no meaningful numbers to post.

In passing, it should be noted that on Sunday the season premier of "The Walking Dead" on AMC pulled a 6.1 demo and 12.26 million total viewers live+same day, opposite The Grammys.

My AV Setup

#49 OFFLINE   Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 494 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 01:51 AM

Tuesday "The State of the Union" speech preempted prime time programming. TV-by-the-Numbers noted: "Univision was the number one network in adults 18-49, while CBS won with total viewers." Thus there are no meaningful numbers to post.

In passing, it should be noted that on Sunday the season premier of "The Walking Dead" on AMC pulled a 6.1 demo and 12.26 million total viewers live+same day, opposite The Grammys.

Any idea what the total viewer numbers were for Tuesday, compared to last week and the week before? I wonder just how many people just didn't turn on their sets.

I bet it really annoys the networks to have an "event" like this in a sweeps period.
Luke

Sagaciously eschew obfuscating sesquipedalianisms.

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.--from Joan of Arcadia

#50 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,123 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:27 PM

Any idea what the total viewer numbers were for Tuesday, compared to last week and the week before? I wonder just how many people just didn't turn on their sets.

I bet it really annoys the networks to have an "event" like this in a sweeps period.

I'm sure it annoys the networks, particularly CBS.

The State of the Union ran in prime time on the East Coast but, since it is live, in my DMA it ran from 6-8 pm. Even though it pulled 33.5 million viewers, one can't call it prime time viewing. The "fast affiliate" ratings indicate that that at 9 pm local time only 58% of the total live viewers were watching compared to last week which is what one would expect.

Posted Image

Posted Image

CBS. Until CBS premiered the 26th running of the "Survivor" series last night, they had been running various reruns in the 8 pm time slot against this season's "American Idol". Last year "Survivor" premiered at 3.0/8 -10.70 million. This year's 2.4/8 -8.94 million says something. But the reality is that last year, the 8 pm hour had 42.39 million viewers, this year 35.58 million. About 6.8 million viewers were doing something else. Here's the comparison over last year at 8 pm:

ABC -0.42
CBS -1.76
FOX -5.66
NBC -0.88
CW +1.90

While CBS could take some solace that Fox has lost more viewers, the fact remains that "Survivor" lost 17% of its audience. CBS will not ignore that. And "CSI" took the same kind of hit compared year to year.

Fox. Again, while Fox led the night, it's a grim year-to-year.

ABC's comedy lineup saw a slight drop in the first hour compared to last week, but "Suburgatory" actually saw an increase week-over-week. Year-over-year that lineup did take a hit. "Nashville" did slightly better than last week, but a year ago "Revenge" was pulling 2.4/6 - 7.60 compared to "Nashville" at 1.8/5 -5.71 million.

NBC was 5th in the 8 pm hour, actually losing to The CW's "Arrow" big time at 8:30. "Guys with Kids" pulled 3.19 million viewers compared to "Arrow" at 3.34 million viewers at 8:30. "Chicago Fire" with 1.9/5 - 6.65 million picked up slightly over last week. A year ago "L&O:SVU" pulled only a 1.7/4 - 5.85 million. For NBC, "Fire" has to be a keeper. I don't know what NBC would do without Dick Wolf & company.

The CW. Speaking of keepers in the new show category, "Arrow" looks solid.

My AV Setup

#51 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,209 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:39 PM

Concerning the CW. The problem as I see it is that they are in SD in way too many markets. I enjoy most of their series even the oft criticized Emily whatever show. I enjoyed her in the jungle medical series that was on a bit back.

I watch them on Hulu Plus as they are in HD there, but those numbers don't reflect the sell through to Hulu Plus.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#52 OFFLINE   cj9788

cj9788

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:40 PM

Posted Image

Last Sunday was Super Bowl Sunday, meaning CBS had the Super Bowl and none of the other networks bothered to offer anything but weak reruns. This Sunday was Grammy Sunday.

CBS had The Grammy's. Enough said.

Fox ran it's usual lineup of animated shows which were down about 10%.

ABC ran it's usual lineup of shows which were down about 15%.

NBC ran reruns including a rerun of "Dateline." NBC apparently will offer some new Sunday programming sometime in March. In the meantime, it seems like we should be dropping them from the ratings much as was done when The CW quit providing programming for Sundays.:nono:

I could have sworn i recorded on NBC Sunday night a two hour Saturday Night Live special about SNL in the 80's. Now I am just confused...

#53 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Hall Of Flame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,727 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:51 PM

I could have sworn i recorded on NBC Sunday night a two hour Saturday Night Live special about SNL in the 80's. Now I am just confused...

It was special in 2005. So it was a re-run of a re-run of a re........ you get the picture!

Worth watching? I have it also.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#54 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,123 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 12:22 PM

Posted Image
If you need larger print you can click on the image above.

Posted Image

CBS won every half hour in total viewers, but in the demo "2½ Men" lost 8:30 to "Idol" and "Elementary" lost both the 10:00 and 10:30 demo to "Scandal." The real question in the advertising business is whether 500,000± demo viewers are worth more than 3,000,000± age 50+ viewers at 10 pm.

ABC premiered "Zero Hour" with the lowest for an ABC in-season premiere ever, pulling the same demo as last week's "Shark Tank" rerun and comparable to "Last Resort" ratings. A year ago "Wipeout" had slightly higher demo ratings in that time slot. "Grey's Anatomy" continues to run behind "Person of Interest", way behind in the 50+ crowd. "Scandal" continues to be more popular in the demo, but behind "Elementary" in the 50+ crowd.

Fox. "Idol" continues to lose to "Big Bang Theory." But "Glee" is a disaster compared to "The Finder" in the slot last year.

NBC. An hour of "The Office" episodes beat "Glee" in the demo for the #3 position at 9:00. A rerun of "Law And Order: SVU" beat the canceled "Do No Harm" ratings for both if its weeks.

The CW. "Vampire Diaries" seems to be slipping week-after-week this winter. "Beauty And The Beast" certainly was not a very popular new show.

It was Valentine's Day. Just like last year when it was on a Tuesday, predictably about 10% of the viewers actually did something else. ABC deciding to premier a new show last night is one of those many seemingly poor choices made by the networks.

My AV Setup

#55 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,123 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:19 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

The problem with Friday during this February Sweeps can be summarized as follows:

Posted Image

About half the regular week night demo live broadcast TV viewers are not watching broadcast TV on Friday. When you look at 10 pm by itself, you see a few have come home and turned on the TV. On the other hand...

The over 50 crowd isn't watching at 8 pm or 9 pm as much on Friday, but more of them are watching at 10 pm on Friday than at 10 pm on Thursday.

In looking at the numbers, the networks haven't adjusted very well to the idea that on Friday's they need to find programming that appeals to the 50+ crowd and let that programming drag in whatever demo audience can be found.

CBS historically has been trying to produce Friday programming, but lost 5.3 million 50+ viewers at 8 pm when "Undercover Boss" was replaced by "The Job." The network is doing OK at 9 and 10 pm.

NBC, in contrast, has abandoned the night to "news" shows until March 8.

ABC has made an effort and wins the demo but with only slightly more than 1.5 million demo viewers to show for the effort.

Fox. One has to hope that "Kitchen Nightmares" is cheap to produce so Fox is at least breaking even.

"Touch" would be considered a disaster on a cable channel pulling only 0.7 million demo viewers and less than 2 million 50+ viewers. I don't know what kind of commitment Fox made to Kiefer Sutherland and the show's Creator/Executive Producer Tim Kring, but it's no "24" or, in the case of Kring, no "Heroes", "Crossing Jordan", "Providence" or " Chicago Hope". I guess everyone in the biz has to have a failure now and again.

The CW ran a 2009 movie that grossed $219,494 in its opening weekend which represents around 22,000 tickets. Far more people watched it last night.

My AV Setup

#56 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,123 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:06 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

I'm beginning to wonder why they have a February Sweeps because Sunday tends to be a lost day. Week 1 was Super Bowl Sunday which I'm not even showing here. Last week was the Grammy Awards. And next week is the Academy Awards. This week NBC ran reruns except at the 7 pm hour.

CBS won the 7-11 averages, squeeking by because of the "Amazing Race" premier demo though CBS wins the 50+ crowd handily in every time slot. Last year's "Amazing Race" premier pulled a 2.6/7 - 9.90 million compared to this year's 2.4/6 - 9.54 million. The thing is there were about 8 million more viewers watching broadcast network TV last year and CBS had a 22 minute golf overrun last year affecting the EST/CST folks.

ABC saw it's Sunday drama's return to normal. The effort to prop up "Zero Hour" with a second run of its premier on a Sunday at 10 pm probably didn't help much.

Fox. The Sunday animated lineup seems to have its loyal following.

NBC has chosen to run reruns on Sunday during February Sweeps. It appears not to have been a dumb move. The second hour of the "Saturday Night Live" rerun actually beat the CBS drama "The Mentalist" at 10 pm in the demo.

The real question for last night is where did the viewers go? I suppose many were watching "The Walking Dead" on AMC and the "Downton Abbey" season finale on PBS.

Additional note: As mentioned, last Friday the CBS show "The Job" was a ratings disaster. To no one's surprise, "Undercover Boss" will return this coming Friday.

My AV Setup

#57 OFFLINE   Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 494 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 11:39 PM

Once again phrelin, thanks for these posts. I really appreciate them.
Luke

Sagaciously eschew obfuscating sesquipedalianisms.

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.--from Joan of Arcadia

#58 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,123 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:38 PM

Once again phrelin, thanks for these posts. I really appreciate them.

Your appreciation is appreciated. I see that this thread gets a lot of views, but since it doesn't generate much discussion your acknowledgement lets me know folks do check out the numbers.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Monday gives us a snapshot into the future of "reality" programming based on live viewership. From 8 to 10 PM ABC offers "The Bachelor" and NBC offers "The Biggest Loser". Scripted series include the CBS comedy lineup and the Fox drama lineup. (Because The CW viewership is targeted and small I'm ignoring them.) This is how 8 pm to 10 pm looks:

Posted Image

CBS won the first and third half hours of the demo while ABC won the second and fourth half hours. Fox at #3 beat NBC in all four half hours. Overall, when you look at the 8-10 averages CBS and ABC were in a dead heat in both age groups. Fox's drama lineup beat NBC keeping scripted TV on top, particularly in the 50+ group. But it's clear that the more costly scripted programming isn't creating the profits it once did and it is older viewers that stick with it.

ABC edged out a win for the night in the 8 to 11 pm competition because "Castle" is beating "Hawaii Five-0" at 10 pm.

CBS must be wondering about its commitment to scripted TV. Those four comedies in total cost significantly more to produce than "The Bachelor."

Fox. Though still down by 15%, Fox saw a bit of a demo recovery in "The Following." It clearly has lost a third of its premier 50+ audience.

NBC is clearly secure in the #4 position from 8 to 10. "Deception" gets slightly more than half the demo and less than a third of the 50+ than the other two at 10 pm. The NBC affiliates must be overjoyed because this show is running only 15% behind "The Leno Show" which they called a ratings disaster as a lead in to their local news. What I know is really giving them joy is that after they talked NBC into dumping the Leno experiment they haven't seen much of the 50+ crowd - you know, the folks that watch local news because they still aren't as heavy on the internet. In the meantime, NBC is wasting a bunch of money on 10 pm. It's always good to know that the local channels are really in touch with their audience.

The CW dropped Sunday programming a few years ago and tend to have reruns on Friday. They probably should drop new programming on Monday and Friday to focus on three nights. Or they could find old movies that nobody saw at the theater or on the premium channels to show as they did last Friday.

Edited by phrelin, 19 February 2013 - 01:49 PM.
typos

My AV Setup

#59 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,123 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:47 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

CBS continues to control Tuesday night with over half the viewers, though "Vegas" is still marginal.

ABC is comfortably #2, but "Body of Proof" is off a bit from last year.

Fox is steady at #3 with its comedy lineup though "New Girl" has lost about a third of its demo audience over last year.

NBC. The elephant in the executive suite at NBC is "Smash." When introduced last year the ads in the very expensive fashion and east coast magazines were glossy multipage. Comcast has to fire these people and hire folks out there in Kansas City. "Smash" is among the walking dead, but without the viewers of the AMC show of that name.

In passing, I'll note that last year on the comparable night at 10 pm "Parenthood" pulled a 1.7/5 - 4.91 and continued to have that level of ratings this year through its season or series finale a few weeks ago. NBC deliberately ordered a short season for "Parenthood", its only show it has that over a number of years consistently beats "The Leno Show" experiment ratings at 10 pm. The NBC suits have done nothing extra to promote it, keep cutting its run, and have forced them to write three endings suitable for a series finale, good endings at that. They really don't like any level of success there at NBC. IMHO this season "Parenthood" was the strongest drama on broadcast TV.

The CW. In case you're wondering, "Hart of Dixie" gets an 80% bump from DVR viewing. I realize that's not much in raw numbers, but it is probably indicative of the streaming audience and of the music sales coming from this show. It is the only CW show we record and watch when time permits because it is fluffy entertainment with good music and no dead bodies.

On the other hand, The CW killed "Emily Owens MD" with a early cancellation. Last night they premiered a new show "Cult" in that time slot which actually did worse than a cancelled show.

Edited by phrelin, 20 February 2013 - 12:53 PM.

My AV Setup

#60 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,123 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:45 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Fox. "American Idol" continues to win the 8-10 pm Wednesday race. Last year on the equivalent night it pulled 5.1 million demo and 10.7 age 50+ viewers compared to this year with 4.1 and 8.9 million. There were 1 million fewer demo viewers total and 1.6 million fewer 50+ viewers. Of the 50+ viewers "Idol" lost year-over-year, the curious fact is the big gainer is The CW.

CBS. While it continues to win the 8-11 pm race, only "Survivor" had the same percentage of total viewers in its hour compared to last year. A year ago "Criminal Minds" was pulling 3.1 million in the demo and 9.5 million in the 50+ crowd compared to 2.7 and 8.0 this year. That's a significant "slip" which along with running a 1.5 hour "Survivor" premier followed by a rerun last week gave ABC an edge in the demo so far on Wednesdays 8-10 pm.

ABC's comedy lineup is holding up pretty well. For whatever reason they ran an "Oscars" promo billed as a news special.

NBC is doing slightly better than a year ago, but that's because they replaced "Brian Williams" with "L&O: SVU" at 9 pm and added "Chicago Fire" to replace "L&O: SVU" at 10 pm. "Whitney" is doing worse than last year and "Guys with Kids' is doing worse than "Are You There, Chelsea." I can't wait to see where NBC will move "Chicago Fire" to kill it.

The CW. A funny thing happened to Wednesday on The CW. A year ago they pulled an average of 0.5 million demo viewers and 0.6 million 50+ viewers. This year it 0.9 million demo viewers and - here's the shocker - 1.8 million 50+ viewers. "Arrow" is the reason, of course. But it has brought viewers (back?) to "Supernatural" which this year was moved from Friday where it languished last year. "Arrow" gets a 50%+ bump from DVR viewing in the following days and "Supernatural" gets a 45% bump. It's likely both get significant streaming views.

My AV Setup

spam firewall