Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

static ip?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   millertime

millertime

Godfather

• Registered
  • 349 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 04:42 PM

Can someone post or show me a link of step by step instructions for setting up static ip my dynamic is causing all kinds of drops from the cck and whole home dvr. My range is 192.168.0.1-192.168.0.19

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,181 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 13 January 2013 - 05:25 PM

What router?

I use Netgear, and simply went into the DVRs menus- Settings-Setup, etc. and changed the last two digits to ".24" or ".34". YMMV.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#3 OFFLINE   FlyingDiver

FlyingDiver

All Star/Supporter

• Registered
  • 193 posts
  • LocationOn the road in North America...

Posted 13 January 2013 - 05:54 PM

That range for DHCP seems wonky. 192.168.0.1 is usually the IP address of the router, and should not be included in the DHCP range. I would change the DHCP range to 192.168.0.100-192.168.0.199.

#4 OFFLINE   millertime

millertime

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 349 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 06:18 PM

Netgear router. So you don't change anything on your pc? Just in the dvr menu?

#5 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,897 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 13 January 2013 - 06:26 PM

You need to do two things. First, you need to limit the IP addresses your router will issue. Then pick an address outside of that range (in the example FlyingDiver provided, something below .100 or above .199) for the static IP you want to use. You then have to go into your DVR network setup and tell it to use static and program in the address you chose (outside of your DHCP range).

#6 OFFLINE   millertime

millertime

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 349 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 06:52 PM

Thanks

#7 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,181 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 06:56 PM

With my Netgear I didn't have to do either of those things. I prefer an address that identifies my STBs, and they happen to fall within the router's native range.

So, millertime, yes, just change the IP in the STB menu. PC has nothing to do with it, unless you're trying to do reservations or change the range. It is useful to show connected devices, though!

#8 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,897 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 13 January 2013 - 07:12 PM

With my Netgear I didn't have to do either of those things. I prefer an address that identifies my STBs, and they happen to fall within the router's native range.

So, millertime, yes, just change the IP in the STB menu. PC has nothing to do with it, unless you're trying to do reservations or change the range. It is useful to show connected devices, though!

If you don't limit the router so it can't/won't issue the IP address (via DHCP) that you assigned to your box, then it is possible two devices could end up on your LAN with the same IP. That will cause problems. That is why you should limit the DHCP range and pick a static address outside of that range.

#9 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 13 January 2013 - 10:30 PM

I posted the info about your router in your other thread about this topic that I was assisting you in.

- Merg

Edited by The Merg, 14 January 2013 - 08:56 AM.

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#10 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,181 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:27 PM

If you don't limit the router so it can't/won't issue the IP address (via DHCP) that you assigned to your box, then it is possible two devices could end up on your LAN with the same IP. That will cause problems. That is why you should limit the DHCP range and pick a static address outside of that range.

Agreed that two devices with same IP would be a bee's nest, but hasn't happened in two years of vigorous use. There's a cushion of over ten addresses between what is assigned by the router and what is static, and I really like having the DVR "self identified" by its addy, .25, .24, .34.

Perhaps not all routers assign by lowest available, which is why I try to mention the brand and model of my router, a Netgear 3400.

#11 OFFLINE   BAHitman

BAHitman

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 431 posts
  • LocationAustin Texas

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:34 PM

If the router is following the DHCP spec, it will not assign an IP address that is in use on the network--even if it is in the lease pool. The problem is that not all routers follow the spec correctly, and thus might assign the address anyway so while one person has a router that follows the spec,you will have another with a router that was not properly tested, and fails to validate the address is free before assigning it, and that is why it's a bad idea to assign static IP addressess inside the DHCP lease pool...

HR34, HR20x3, HR22, HR23, H24, H21

-BAHitman

#12 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,181 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:38 PM

If the router is following the DHCP spec, it will not assign an IP address that is in use on the network--even if it is in the lease pool. The problem is that not all routers follow the spec correctly, and thus might assign the address anyway so while one person has a router that follows the spec,you will have another with a router that was not properly tested, and fails to validate the address is free before assigning it, and that is why it's a bad idea to assign static IP addressess inside the DHCP lease pool...

.... if you have a poorly acting router!

"Bad" is relative. For me, the good outweighs the potential bad.

#13 OFFLINE   FlyingDiver

FlyingDiver

All Star/Supporter

• Registered
  • 193 posts
  • LocationOn the road in North America...

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:43 PM

.... if you have a poorly acting router!

"Bad" is relative. For me, the good outweighs the potential bad.

It's trivial to tell the router to start the DHCP pool at (for example) .100, which will keep it clear of your preferred addresses. So why take a chance?

#14 OFFLINE   BAHitman

BAHitman

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 431 posts
  • LocationAustin Texas

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:49 PM

It's trivial to tell the router to start the DHCP pool at (for example) .100, which will keep it clear of your preferred addresses. So why take a chance?

to me, it's automatic and alomost nobody does it... I can't tell you how many open networks I have been able to use, and how many routers I have been able to log into over the years... especially if you live in an apartment complex...

checklist on new router

1. change wireless SSID
2. set secure password for wireless
3. set admin paddword
4. change IP address / subnet mask to non-default value (usually use 192.168.1xx.1 where xx is random digits)
5. set DHCP scope to .20-200 (gives 71 available static addressess)
6. if the router lets me, change local web access port from 80 to xxxx and disable external access unless it has SSL

HR34, HR20x3, HR22, HR23, H24, H21

-BAHitman

Protected By... spam firewall...And...