Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR34 Installation, how should this work?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   adam1115

adam1115

Godfather

• Registered
  • 306 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 05:18 PM

So I'm getting an HR34. I currently have an HR23 and HR24. Where the HR34 is already has a single coax run to the splitter. (I have a SWM dish with a single cable to a splitter that splits to signal to two cable runs, one for each DVR).

What will the install look like with 9 tuners? I just want to make sure the installer does it right so I'm able to do 9 tuners with whole home and internet. Will they leave the same dish? Is there some sophisticated switch? Will a single coax support all 5 tuners on the HR34?

9 tuners blows my mind.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   FlyingDiver

FlyingDiver

All Star/Supporter

• Registered
  • 193 posts
  • LocationOn the road in North America...

Posted 13 January 2013 - 05:57 PM

If you have an SWM dish they will need to swap it out for an SL3 (I think) and add an SWM-16. Then run another cable from the SWM-16 to one of the locations.

#3 OFFLINE   adam1115

adam1115

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 306 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:17 PM

Oh really? What's the difference.

#4 OFFLINE   FlyingDiver

FlyingDiver

All Star/Supporter

• Registered
  • 193 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:19 PM

Oh really? What's the difference.

The SWM dish can only support 8 tuners total. For more than 8, you need an SWM-16, which supports up to 16. There are no dishes with built-in support for more than 8. And you need the SL-3 or SL5 to feed an SWM-8 or SWM-16, with four coax cables connecting them. You can't do it from an SWM dish.

#5 OFFLINE   adam1115

adam1115

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 306 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:38 PM

Are the installers pretty good about upgrading it? Or will they try to leave me with 4 tuners on the HR34?

#6 OFFLINE   FlyingDiver

FlyingDiver

All Star/Supporter

• Registered
  • 193 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:39 PM

They're supposed to do all the equipment changes needed. DirecTV knows what equipment you have, how many tuners you have, and what's needed to make it all work.

#7 OFFLINE   adam1115

adam1115

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 306 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:44 PM

Cool. Thanks for the info! Always great to know what to expect or what questions to ask when they're here.

#8 OFFLINE   georule

georule

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 10:30 PM

Thanks for the thread and answers. I've got a SWM and two existing HR2x. . .and they are coming out to HR34 me as well on Thursday, pushing me to 9 DVR tuners and 10 total tuners (with an additional HD non-DVR box). I'll know now to make sure there is a dish upgrade involved.

I'm getting near the end of my contract, but needed a new location in the house with a regular HD box. Called, and got the proverbial heckuvadeal to add an HR34 and whole-home (in exchange for a contract extension, of course).

I'm feeling sort of like Scarlett O'Hara at the end of Gone with the Wind --to paraphase, "I'll never be short a tuner to record with again!".
LR(non-CE): HR44, Mits 65C9; Office/FR (CE): HR22-100 + AM21, Mits 60737 + Mits 3DA1 3D adapter. Spare bedroom (non-CE), HR23. Genie WHDVR, wireless networking (yay!)

#9 OFFLINE   sacflies

sacflies

AllStar

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:25 AM

I had an HR34 installed Tuesday. I called and asked for a deal on an HR34 and 2 clients (out of contract), they wouldn't offer me a deal (asking $300 for the HR34) so I had them set me up with a cancellation date two weeks out. Next day they called and offered me the HR34 and 2 clintes for free, with free installation. Anyway, since this would put me over the 8 tuner limit for SWM 8 install, and I didn't really want a bunch more cables running over my front door that a SWM 16 install would require, he turned off one of the tuners on one of my HR24's (I have 2) in a little used bedroom setup. Didn't have to change anything and it is a much cleaner install. Now if only I could get the system working right. I can't play shows from the 2 HR24's on the HR34 or clients without a message popping up a few minutes in saying they have lost connection. Nothing ever seems to work as it should.

#10 OFFLINE   adam1115

adam1115

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 306 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:17 AM

Guys, just a quick question. Will the HR34 have one coax going to it for all 5 tuners? And no issues with a 2 TB eSATA drive?

Also, is there a screen to verify all tuners are working?

#11 OFFLINE   FlyingDiver

FlyingDiver

All Star/Supporter

• Registered
  • 193 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:43 AM

Yes, one SWM coax. And users here have reported using up to a 9TB raid drive with it.

Yes, the normal signal strength screen shows 5 tuners.

#12 OFFLINE   adam1115

adam1115

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 306 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 02:20 PM

Thanks, FlyDiver, you're a lifesaver!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...