Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Directv DECAs and Internet

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   scuba629

scuba629

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:35 AM

I have a SWM system with 3 HR23s(bedroom,game room,guest bedroom) and 1 HR24(living room). The 3 HR23s all have DECAs attached with another in the basement connected to my router for whole home dvr and internet.

I have been using powerline to supply internet to my living room, bedroom and game room. In my bedroom I have another access point in bridge mode to increase my range. This has been working OK but has limited my Mbps to only 32Mbps or 4 MBs.

Last night I was bothered by how long my backups were taking and thought about how I could use my coax instead of the electric.

I hooked up a switch to the bedroom DECA and plugged the access point, appletv and directv box into it. This did increase my speed on the transfers to 80 Mbps or 10MBs. I was happy with this...

Now for my questions..

1. Is this a bad idea? What problems can come from using the DECAs like this? I did watch a move from the living room in the bedroom while backing up my Mac and didn't notice any issues.

2. Can I add a DECA to my HR24 and put a switch there? My plan was to put switches in the living room, bedroom, and game room. Will this amount of traffic over the coax be bad?

3. If I shouldn't add a DECA to the living room HR24 can I split the cable and then add it?

4. I notice that sometimes the speed drops down to a low 8Mbps or 1MB. It's usually faster than this but it has at times stayed at that speed for some of the backup. However if I trigger a speedtest(.net) it once again kicks up to a great 56Mbps or 7MB. 50Mbps is what i pay for. Is this normal?

5. Is there any QoS on the DECAs? Will transfers be slower if I am using my Whole Home DVRs or watching an On Demand movie?

Thanks for any help!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   scuba629

scuba629

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:44 AM

I have also looked at getting new powerline adapters. I'm not sure how much better the 500Mbps would be over my current 200Mbps.

Linksys PLK300 -> ZyXEL PLA4225KIT??

#3 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,213 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:49 AM

Don't put a DECA on the 24. It has it built in - you'll need to split the coax and add a DECA with a PI. (or a broadband adapter CCK that has a power cube)

There is a 16 device limit on a DECA cloud. If you have a spare coax, I'd create a separate cloud with DECAs at your switch locations and one at a LAN connection.

Remember, this is not supported by Directv and an installer may have a problem with it. You can always remove it if they complain.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#4 OFFLINE   scuba629

scuba629

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:07 AM

I have 6 rooms with coax drops in them. So they gave me a 8 way splitter as 1 connection comes from the dish itself. As far as I can tell that's the only splitting that has been done to the signal.

Will my HR24 be OK if I split that drop again?

Do the DECAs have a channel or something I can configure? I'm not sure I get how else I would setup two clouds.. Maybe run 6 more drops and get a separate switch?

If I can't do that will having all my devices on one cloud cause problems?

#5 OFFLINE   BAHitman

BAHitman

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 427 posts
  • LocationAustin Texas

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:15 AM

you should be fine with a 2 way splitter on your HR24

If you are going to do drops, why not use CAT6 cable and use a gigabit switch... far faster than having a second DECA cloud...

as far as putting all of those devices on the same cloud, you will be OK unless the traffic flow gets too high, you will start having WHDVR issues, where DirecTV will not support the configuration...
HR34, HR20x3, HR21, HR22, H24, H21

-BAHitman

#6 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,213 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:26 AM

Certainly if you're going to pull cable, pull cat6. All pre-Swim HR installations used two coaxes which leaves a spare when Swim is installed.

A second coax doesn't need to be connected to anything on the current swim. It only needs deca devices on both ends to transport ethernet on the coax.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#7 OFFLINE   scuba629

scuba629

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:33 AM

trust me I don't want to pull cables. lol That is the main reason I'm asking.

can someone give me a link for the latest deca(s)?

what traffic might be to high for this network? I will have a PS3, Wii, Mac(with time capsule backups), two iphone 5s, and all my directv boxes(4).

#8 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,247 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:43 AM

trust me I don't want to pull cables. lol That is the main reason I'm asking.

can someone give me a link for the latest deca(s)?

what traffic might be to high for this network? I will have a PS3, Wii, Mac(with time capsule backups), two iphone 5s, and all my directv boxes(4).

Basically, if you are using the Internet or the DECA cloud for something other than Whole Home, you might see issues with Whole Home. If that's the case, stop using the network for whatever device is currently being used on the DECA cloud.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#9 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,370 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:02 AM

DECA is probably not a good idea for heavy computer use unless you're VERY careful about when you do it. Doing backups qualifies as very heavy.

If these drops are not being used otherwise, you might try a conventional MoCA network.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#10 OFFLINE   scuba629

scuba629

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:04 PM

Do you think powerline would be able to give me 10MBs or 80Mbps? I have the linksys plk300s now but they seem capped at 4MBS or 32Mbps..

The below looks like a nice set.

ZyXEL Powerline AV 500 Mbps 4 Port Gigabit Switch Wall-plug Adapter with PLA4205 Powerline AV 500Mbps (PLA4225KIT)

#11 OFFLINE   BAHitman

BAHitman

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 427 posts
  • LocationAustin Texas

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:08 PM

Do you think powerline would be able to give me 10MBs or 80Mbps? I have the linksys plk300s now but they seem capped at 4MBS or 32Mbps..

The below looks like a nice set.

ZyXEL Powerline AV 500 Mbps 4 Port Gigabit Switch Wall-plug Adapter with PLA4205 Powerline AV 500Mbps (PLA4225KIT)

performance on powerline adapters is very specific to the house wiring... are the source and destination on the same leg or not, and how the wiring is generally run in the house.

Usually, I just recommend people who want to try it to buy it and make sure there is a generous return policy in case the house wiring does not allow the adapters to work at an acceptable level...

-BAHitman

#12 OFFLINE   scuba629

scuba629

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:16 PM

They wouldn't be on the same leg. It would be 4.. 1 in the basement, 1 bedroom, 1 living room, and 1 game room. They would be on one fuse box.

I was hoping for 80Mbps as I am getting 32Mbps now.

200 500
---- ----
32 x

x should equal 80.

#13 OFFLINE   BAHitman

BAHitman

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 427 posts
  • LocationAustin Texas

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:29 PM

by Leg, I meant that your house has 240 volts coming in. one leg gives you 120 volts, the other leg gives you the other 120 volts. so each circuit has a chance of beeing on 1 leg or phase of your power. usually if you are crossing phases, you may not even get a connection, There is hardware that might help overcome this, but it's best to try it out and follow the recommendations of the manufacturer...

-BAHitman

#14 OFFLINE   scuba629

scuba629

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:19 PM

oh yeah its one leg then. I currently have it working just not as fast as id like. I love the DECA speed but need all my devices to have it and it seems like that isnt possible.

#15 OFFLINE   BAHitman

BAHitman

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 427 posts
  • LocationAustin Texas

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:31 PM

Certainly not recommended, but you might try the faster powerline ethernet adatpers and see what you get... if it's anything close to 500Mbps you will be on par or faster than the DECA speed

-BAHitman

#16 OFFLINE   Rickt1962

Rickt1962

Legend

• Registered
  • 296 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:44 PM

If you have the Internet at all locations of your receivers do you still need Deca to have the Whole house experience ?

King Cable Cutter ! XBMC , PLEX , Raspberry Pi   Love my New Boxes :)

Avatars are to protect the Ugly people from scaring others !
Come from the land of Pennsylvania where Cable TV was invented ! Had HBO back in the 70's and total cable bill was $ 12.00 and all TV's got Cable with no extra fee ! Been using satellite since the C-Band Days and Dave and Charlie

#17 OFFLINE   BAHitman

BAHitman

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 427 posts
  • LocationAustin Texas

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:51 PM

There is an unsupported mode using your own home networking--I currently use my home ethernet for WHDVR and it works fine, but I have a gigabit network. it is unsupported by DirecTV so if there are problems, it's mine to deal with...

-BAHitman

#18 OFFLINE   scuba629

scuba629

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:26 PM

If I wanted to try to setup the DECA network are the below the correct items to get?

New DECA x 3 for bedroom, guest bedroom, game room DIRECTV Ethernet Coax Adapter DECA (DECA1MR01)

Splitter for living room kit. DirecTv MSPLIT2R1 Approved Zinwell 2-Way Wide Band SWM Splitter

New DECA for living room and by router DIRECTV DECA Broadband Adapter - 1 x RJ-45 Network - External

I have the old white DECA units now, but wanted to ensure I put the latest stuff in place if I was to try it.

I plan to try this first then get the powerline as a second backup option.

#19 OFFLINE   scuba629

scuba629

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:32 PM

The main reason im thinking it might work is this.

The DECA network is a shared 200Mb/s, or the same speed as full duplex 100Mb/s Ethernet

My laptop is backuping up now and its only at a 10MB/s link. Thats not close to the 100Mb/s.

#20 OFFLINE   Rickt1962

Rickt1962

Legend

• Registered
  • 296 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:35 PM

There is an unsupported mode using your own home networking--I currently use my home ethernet for WHDVR and it works fine, but I have a gigabit network. it is unsupported by DirecTV so if there are problems, it's mine to deal with...

Is ther any way to confirm the Home Network has to be more then 10/100 and upgrade the switch to a 1000 ?

King Cable Cutter ! XBMC , PLEX , Raspberry Pi   Love my New Boxes :)

Avatars are to protect the Ugly people from scaring others !
Come from the land of Pennsylvania where Cable TV was invented ! Had HBO back in the 70's and total cable bill was $ 12.00 and all TV's got Cable with no extra fee ! Been using satellite since the C-Band Days and Dave and Charlie

spam firewall