Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Directv DECAs and Internet

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:50 PM

Is ther any way to confirm the Home Network has to be more then 10/100 and upgrade the switch to a 1000 ?

I'm not sure that I'm following you here. Are you asking if you need to have a gigabit switch to use DECA for your home network? If so, the answer is no. It will work on a 10/100 network.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   scuba629

scuba629

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:17 AM

are the parts I listed above correct?

#23 OFFLINE   Rickt1962

Rickt1962

Legend

• Registered
  • 296 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:56 AM

I'm not sure that I'm following you here. Are you asking if you need to have a gigabit switch to use DECA for your home network? If so, the answer is no. It will work on a 10/100 network.

- Merg

Great ! I have 2 hr21 and plan on getting HR34 and I can run cat 5 wire to all locations. No need for Deca ! Yahoo !

King Cable Cutter ! XBMC , PLEX , Raspberry Pi   Love my New Boxes :)

Avatars are to protect the Ugly people from scaring others !
Come from the land of Pennsylvania where Cable TV was invented ! Had HBO back in the 70's and total cable bill was $ 12.00 and all TV's got Cable with no extra fee ! Been using satellite since the C-Band Days and Dave and Charlie

#24 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:37 AM

Great ! I have 2 hr21 and plan on getting HR34 and I can run cat 5 wire to all locations. No need for Deca ! Yahoo !

You do realize though that with DECA you don't need to run CAT5 wire to all your locations. You could just have the CAT5 cable going to the HR34 and with that all the other receivers would all have access to the Internet, your home network, and Whole Home. This would also keep all of the Whole Home traffic off of your home network.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#25 OFFLINE   scuba629

scuba629

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:55 AM

seems like this thread has been hijacked! rofl!

#26 OFFLINE   Vin

Vin

Legend

• Registered
  • 224 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:23 PM

If I wanted to try to setup the DECA network are the below the correct items to get?

New DECA x 3 for bedroom, guest bedroom, game room DIRECTV Ethernet Coax Adapter DECA (DECA1MR01)

Splitter for living room kit. DirecTv MSPLIT2R1 Approved Zinwell 2-Way Wide Band SWM Splitter

New DECA for living room and by router DIRECTV DECA Broadband Adapter - 1 x RJ-45 Network - External

I have the old white DECA units now, but wanted to ensure I put the latest stuff in place if I was to try it.

I plan to try this first then get the powerline as a second backup option.

Well, you'll still be on your DECA cloud which may or may not impact your WHDVR service (I haven't had any issues with a similar arrangement but that's no guarantee). With that said, I don't think you need to replace your white DECAs but if you're looking for the latest model, it's this one: http://www.ebay.com/...=item3ccde7bf8c

It can also be purchased with a power supply and used as a BB DECA : http://www.ebay.com/...=item27cccf20a1

The older BB DECA that you linked to (also available on ebay) with the green label splitter will work fine though with your HR24.
Vin

#27 OFFLINE   scuba629

scuba629

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:42 PM

Thanks Vin! Didn't know the BB DECA I listed was old. Looked newer than I had before...

I just want to be sure that if i split the signal again I wont have issues. Right now it comes from the dish to an 8 port splitter. That 8 port splitter has a SWM, dish, and 4 DVRs on it. So 6 of the 8 ports are in use. I want to use the splitter I listed above to split it once more.

Is that ok?

#28 OFFLINE   Vin

Vin

Legend

• Registered
  • 224 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:53 PM

Thanks Vin! Didn't know the BB DECA I listed was old. Looked newer than I had before...

I just want to be sure that if i split the signal again I wont have issues. Right now it comes from the dish to an 8 port splitter. That 8 port splitter has a SWM, dish, and 4 DVRs on it. So 6 of the 8 ports are in use. I want to use the splitter I listed above to split it once more.

Is that ok?

I can't imagine it being an issue.
Vin

#29 OFFLINE   scuba629

scuba629

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:56 PM

ok. some guys at solidsignal said I couldn't do it. However the other guys at weakness said I could. lol

Just trying to get a good answer. lol

#30 OFFLINE   Vin

Vin

Legend

• Registered
  • 224 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:01 PM

ok. some guys at solidsignal said I couldn't do it. However the other guys at weakness said I could. lol

What exactly are they saying you can't do? :confused:
Vin

#31 OFFLINE   scuba629

scuba629

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:05 PM

add another splitter. They said I can only have 1 splitter from the dish.

He continued on to say if I wanted another connect at my HR24 I needed to run it from the 8 port splitter.

Right now its going from the DISH to an 8 port splitter. 4 DVRs, a SWM and my Dish link are on that 8 port splitter. I just want to split it once more at 1 of the DVRs.

#32 OFFLINE   Vin

Vin

Legend

• Registered
  • 224 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:27 PM

He continued on to say if I wanted another connect at my HR24 I needed to run it from the 8 port splitter.

Right now its going from the DISH to an 8 port splitter. 4 DVRs, a SWM and my Dish link are on that 8 port splitter. I just want to split it once more at 1 of the DVRs.

Again, I don't know why he's telling you that you can't split the coax behind your HR24 to feed a BB DECA, it's done all the time. I'm wondering if he thinks you're trying to connect another DVR or receiver....you wouldn't be able to do that since you're already feeding 8 tuners from your SWM LNB.

You can be sure of one thing....if there's something I'm overlooking, someone will surely chime in and set me straight. :)
Vin

#33 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,322 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:14 PM

You can split the cable to the 24, just use a green-label 2 way.

And it'll work. The number of DECAs have nothing to do with the number of tuners.

If you're really into details (which it looks like you are!) There's a sticky with VOS' info of loss per splitter / type. In general, 8's are bad unless you're using most of the ports.

For the type of use you've described, adding these few devices to the DECA cloud won't be a problem. If anything, schedule your backup when you're not watching TV via mrv.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#34 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,432 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:03 PM

Unless you buy your HR34 from a retailer, such as Solid Signal, and doing it yourself, this probably isn't an option. The installer will end up installing a DECA network for you at the same time that he installs the HR34.

#35 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,523 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:13 AM

Perhaps they are recommending that instead of adding a splitter, you replace one of the existing splitters with one that has more outputs.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#36 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,650 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:22 AM

Perhaps they are recommending that instead of adding a splitter, you replace one of the existing splitters with one that has more outputs.

That's not always the right approach.

There's science behind the right path to follow...something veryoldschool has posted about in detail as an expert. Perhaps he can add some insight.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#37 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,523 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:45 AM

That's not always the right approach.

As the OP seems to be driven to seek dozens of answers as opposed to trying any one of them, I was simply offering a possible reason why Solid Signal seems to be giving advice that appears to be in conflict with generally accepted solutions.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#38 OFFLINE   SolidSignal

SolidSignal

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:00 AM

Hi,

I'm sorry you got confusing information. I'll talk to my colleagues and make sure it's a little clearer.

You can add a splitter further down the line from an 8-port splitter under most conditions. Of course you can have no more than 8 tuners on a single SWM leg of a SWM-16 and no more than 8 tuners total on a SWM-8.

If you're not fully using every line coming from your 8-way splitter it might be best to replace it with a 4-way as the signal loss from a 8-way splitter is very great, and that's a good reason not to further split the line.

We've found that MRV problems due to low signal levels in the connected home (550MHz) range are very hard to diagnose and so it's best to avoid over-splitting if possible. I think that's what our tech meant to say to you.

Please let me know if there's anything I can help with.

#39 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,699 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:00 AM

They simply gave bad info.
Splitter loss & cable loss can't exceed about 30 dB.
An 8-way + a 2-way is about 20 dB, leaving 10 dB for cable loss, or about 100' of coax.
A.K.A VOS

#40 OFFLINE   SolidSignal

SolidSignal

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:01 AM

And, of course thanks, veryoldschool, for making sure everything is clear!

spam firewall