Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Directv DECAs and Internet

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,273 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:00 PM

If you can keep traffic off your network so that other devices have use of your network with the possibility of interference, why wouldn't you want to take advantage of that?

Too much is placed on the importance of "keeping MRV off the network". I submit that the whole concept is a red herring in a world of switched Ethernet.

As for routing CAT5 being easy and cheap, while CAT5 cable is cheap to purchase, routing it in someone's house is not always easy or feasible. While I would recommend any new house being built to look at having CAT5 run to every room, retrofitting a house is not always a solution.

If you're inclined to get all of your entertainment from DIRECTV, this may be a reasoned approach. Given that each TV has an average of one non-MRV device in the room with it, it makes the argument questionable as now you're looking to annex the cloud to carry content it wasn't designed to handle..

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,242 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:19 PM

Too much is placed on the importance of "keeping MRV off the network". I submit that the whole concept is a red herring in a world of switched Ethernet.

Well, if you have actually tried using MRV over your home network compared to using over DECA, you might have experienced this issue. I ran MRV over my home network for more than a year before moving to DECA. During that time, if network usage was heavy due to other devices being used, I definitely saw some lag/stuttering during MRV playback. Once I moved to DECA, this issue disappeared.

If you're inclined to get all of your entertainment from DIRECTV, this may be a reasoned approach. Given that each TV has an average of one non-MRV device in the room with it, it makes the argument questionable as now you're looking to annex the cloud to carry content it wasn't designed to handle..

And yes, while rooms might have more than one non-MRV device in it, I would still submit that retrofitting a house/room for Ethernet is not always practical. The time and effort for me to run a CAT5 cable from my router to my bedroom means that it will most likely never happen. I currently use a Linksys WRT160N router up there as a wireless extender to which I can attach wired devices. It is not the best solution though. And while, it would not be a supported solution, I might consider using a DECA to provide a hardwired LAN connection up in the bedroom. In that case, if I am using the networked device in the bedroom, I will most likely not be using MRV so I should not experience any negative impact.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#63 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,480 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:46 PM

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."

This is the wettest idea yet from a person who has no direct knowledge of MRV, and precious little idea of how most of us employ non-MRV appliances in our homes.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

spam firewall