Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Sling questions

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   joeerg

joeerg

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:46 AM

I have two Hoppers, two Joeys. Also a ViP211k with a hard drive and DVR functionality in my RV. I want to be able to access the Hoppers from the RV. Unless there's some way that the 211k can talk directly with the Hoppers, this means either upgrading a Hopper to the new Hopper with Sling, or adding a Sling adaptor.

My understanding from what I've read so far about the upgrade is that it would be more expensive and probably wouldn't add that much above just getting the adaptor.

My questions are:

1. Both my Hoppers have Wifi dongles. Does connection through my home Wifi work, or do I need to run an Ethernet connection between a Hopper and my router?

2. I would be using my iPhone 4S as the hotspot on the receiving end. Is it fast enough to stream HD?

3. I am currently running my home Wifi network off a b router. Do I need to upgrade to g or n to stream HD? If I go to n is it worth paying extra to get 5GHz compatability?

4. How big is a typical 1-hour HD file? (I only get 5 gig/month on my data plan).

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   BAHitman

BAHitman

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 427 posts
  • LocationAustin Texas

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:56 AM

I have two Hoppers, two Joeys. Also a ViP211k with a hard drive and DVR functionality in my RV. I want to be able to access the Hoppers from the RV. Unless there's some way that the 211k can talk directly with the Hoppers, this means either upgrading a Hopper to the new Hopper with Sling, or adding a Sling adaptor.

My understanding from what I've read so far about the upgrade is that it would be more expensive and probably wouldn't add that much above just getting the adaptor.

My questions are:

1. Both my Hoppers have Wifi dongles. Does connection through my home Wifi work, or do I need to run an Ethernet connection between a Hopper and my router?

2. I would be using my iPhone 4S as the hotspot on the receiving end. Is it fast enough to stream HD?

3. I am currently running my home Wifi network off a b router. Do I need to upgrade to g or n to stream HD? If I go to n is it worth paying extra to get 5GHz compatability?

4. How big is a typical 1-hour HD file? (I only get 5 gig/month on my data plan).

802.11b can't do HD. 5Ghz only would be needed if you are doing alot of other things with WiFi or if you have a bunch of neighbors nearby with wireless setup. the space with 2.4Ghz is pretty saturated, but using a wifi analyzer app for our phone can help you make that decision...

1 Hour HD would normally blow your 5Gig plan, but with sling you might not blow it with 1 hour but likeley with 2-3 hours...

Sling will normally try to use best quality for available bandwith... bandwith limitations would include your iPhone (mobile broadband data network) as well as uplink speed on your home broadband service.
HR34, HR20x3, HR21, HR22, H24, H21

-BAHitman

#3 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:37 PM

This is not a tenable plan to serve HD via your iPhone4S. 3G won't get you HD. Either way it's going to blow your data plan out of the water. You shouldn't be using both Wifi adapters on your Hoppers at home. Pick one, remove the other and enable bridging on the one with the Wifi dongle.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#4 OFFLINE   joeerg

joeerg

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:25 AM

Thanks, guys. I guess picking up the home DVRs from the RV isn't really going to work, short of ponying up for a 4G phone with an unlimited data plan. I'll make do with whatever's on the satellite at the time.

spam firewall