Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Solo Node question

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dunkonu23

dunkonu23

Legend

• Registered
  • 185 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:30 PM

Can a single cable from the LNB to a solo node be used then split after the solo node with one side going to a Hopper and another to a Joey?

Scott
--
Fly RC Helicopters!
Team ALeeS RC

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,162 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:58 PM

Can a single cable from the LNB to a solo node be used then split after the solo node with one side going to a Hopper and another to a Joey?

Scott

No, the Hopper needs a straight run in order to have all three tuners function correctly. Splitting it will effect them if not make one or more not work at all. The Joey run can be split to feed other Joeys.

#3 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,311 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:05 PM

There is a "tap" that is part of the Hopper system that allows the feed from node to Hopper to be split off to a Joey.

#4 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,727 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:06 PM

Scott

see PDF files at www.dishuser.org/hopper.php Information

#5 OFFLINE   dunkonu23

dunkonu23

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 185 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:25 PM

Okay, so will one cable from the LNB work to the solo node or do I need two cables from the LNB to the solo node?

Scott
--
Fly RC Helicopters!
Team ALeeS RC

#6 OFFLINE   cclement

cclement

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 235 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:35 PM

From what I understand, you must have 2 coaxial lines from the LNB to the Solo Node. And then it only needs one line from the Node to the Hopper.

See the PDF.

Attached Files

#7 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,727 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:38 PM

Okay, so will one cable from the LNB work to the solo node or do I need two cables from the LNB to the solo node?

Scott

Eeyope. If one cable coming from DPP device switch, then only TWO tuners of three will be be available.

Edited by P Smith, 14 January 2013 - 08:16 PM.

#8 OFFLINE   cclement

cclement

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 235 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:42 PM

then only TWO tuners of three will be be available

Nope, the 2 lines carry the 3 tuners.

#9 OFFLINE   dunkonu23

dunkonu23

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 185 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:43 PM

In which case will only two of the three tuners be available? Single RG6 or Two RG6 runs?

Please excuse my ignorance in this--I'm doing an install for my daughter and her new husband because (if you recall) I was early adopter and had installers out here three times before it was done correctly.

Scott
--
Fly RC Helicopters!
Team ALeeS RC

#10 OFFLINE   cclement

cclement

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 235 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:45 PM

In which case will only two of the three tuners be available? Single RG6 or Two RG6 runs?

Please excuse my ignorance in this--I'm doing an install for my daughter and her new husband because (if you recall) I was early adopter and had installers out here three times before it was done correctly.

Scott

2 RG6 cables carry the 3 tuners.

#11 OFFLINE   dunkonu23

dunkonu23

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 185 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:50 PM

Thanks. That's what I was looking for.

Scott
--
Fly RC Helicopters!
Team ALeeS RC

#12 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,452 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:22 PM

Eeyope. If one cable coming from DPP device switch, then only TWO tuners of three will be be available.

Nope, the 2 lines carry the 3 tuners.

P Smith is right on this one.

You need 2 cables for proper function, because each cable carries a dual-tuner capable feed. In the case of a Hopper, which only has 3 tuners, you need BOTH inputs to the solo node to get the 3rd tuner.

I've actually seen this in real life... where someone was hooking up a node and ran a check switch and their Hopper failed on the third tuner. Ultimately the problem was one bad input to the node.

I don't know how well a solo node would run with just a single cable input... but theoretically it looks like you would have 2 tuners with only the single cable.

Basically... don't try it in real... but in theory, it kind of looks like it might sort-of half work for 2 of 3 tuners on a single cable.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#13 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,727 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:34 PM

Actually, it is works. Just two tuners been available for a week or so.

#14 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,162 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:27 PM

There is a "tap" that is part of the Hopper system that allows the feed from node to Hopper to be split off to a Joey.

I am not familiar with the "Tap", if you could direct me to more info on it. I'm not sure why I missed this info. Thanks.

#15 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,311 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:52 PM

I am not familiar with the "Tap", if you could direct me to more info on it. I'm not sure why I missed this info. Thanks.

There is a picture of one in the Hopper Review:
http://www.dbstalk.c...841#post2992841
(Right hand column ... 2nd and 3rd pictures down)

It is also covered in the installation diagrams at dishuser.org

Basically it passes satellite power and signal from the node to the Hopper and allows a Joey to tap in on the MoCA feed.

#16 OFFLINE   3HaloODST

3HaloODST

Godfather

• Registered
  • 469 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:21 AM

Actually, it is works. Just two tuners been available for a week or so.

I bet the Hopper doesn't function 100% correctly though. Recordings stuck, etc. ...

2 Hoppers w/Sling / 2 Hopper 2000s / 1 Joey

1 ViP722k (separate account)

#17 OFFLINE   puckwithahalo

puckwithahalo

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:37 AM

I bet the Hopper doesn't function 100% correctly though. Recordings stuck, etc. ...

It just acts like dual tuner instead of a triple tuner receiver from what I've seen.
The postings on this site are my own and don't represent Dish's positions, strategies, or opinions.

-Puck

#18 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,727 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:43 AM

100% sans third tuner

#19 OFFLINE   dunkonu23

dunkonu23

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 185 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:22 PM

This is interesting stuff. So, with one cable you get all three Sats, but only two tuners. Some documentation leads one to believe that each satellite has its own cable with a Duo Node. But if one thinks about it, that can't be the case because two cables from the same LNB will give you all three Sats. Just some cool stuff. Thanks!

Scott
--
Fly RC Helicopters!
Team ALeeS RC

#20 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,727 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:34 PM

This is interesting stuff. So, with one cable you get all three Sats, but only two tuners. Some documentation leads one to believe that each satellite has its own cable with a Duo Node. But if one thinks about it, that can't be the case because two cables from the same LNB will give you all three Sats. Just some cool stuff. Thanks!

Scott

Scott, you got it wrong or that "documentation" written by a incompetent person.
Just take a little time to understand DPP switching method and you will get all dots in line. Nothing extraordinary.

spam firewall