Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Trying To Decide - Hopper Question

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   celticpride

celticpride

Icon

• Registered
  • 967 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 02:38 PM

Sometimes people think everybody can get free over the air but unless you live in a big city or have a good antenna ,you may not be able to get a good signal.I live 90 miles from the towers and cant get a good signals because the mountains block the signal coming into the valley. we do have a tv translator where i live but i dont know if they ever upgrade the system to digital i guess i'll go ask my local tv repairman since no one at best buy knows That way if i ever have to go ota i know i just need to buy an antenna.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,858 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 20 January 2013 - 03:17 PM

not everyone live there ... here, in Silicon valley we have 80+ channels from SF, SJ and Salinas, Richmond, etc

#23 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,758 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 03:58 PM

There are certainly places where OTA is better and places where OTA is worse. I suspect better would be harder to find than worse - but I am like most people who want to put up a simple antenna and not need to engineer a system that picks up signals from multiple directions without causing problems with multi-path.

I am fortunate to have a home where I can put up a rooftop antenna (no HOA restrictions) but I don't want to put up a tower. The extra channels are just not that interesting. The trade off to being in a city where more stations and subchannels may be available is losing locations to put an antenna.

That being said I appreciate the way DISH handles OTA locals ... allowing people to tune any channel and subchannel they manage to receive on their antenna and not artificially limiting stations based on a zip code. It is good to see that restriction go away on newer DirecTV boxes.

OTA would be more useful if there were more tuners available. Since OTA cannot be stacked on the cable to the Hopper (as was allowed on previous models) I would prefer a separate tuner module accessible via MoCA. Install the tuner where OTA signals are available and connect to the MoCA network. But that is not the design DISH followed.

#24 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,414 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:58 PM

I have to replace my nearly dead 722. I inquired about a Hopper and I've been quoted a $50.00 upgrade fee only which is not a deal killer.

But I haven't been keeping up here. Are you still blocked from watching saved EHD recordings from channels you don't subscribe to? That probably would be a deal killer for me.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#25 OFFLINE   some guy

some guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 05:38 PM

I have to replace my nearly dead 722. I inquired about a Hopper and I've been quoted a $50.00 upgrade fee only which is not a deal killer.

But I haven't been keeping up here. Are you still blocked from watching saved EHD recordings from channels you don't subscribe to? That probably would be a deal killer for me.

People have been reporting it but I believe it's a bug. I don't think everyone runs into this.

#26 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,164 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 06:00 PM

This was a bug when the Hopper first came out. It has been working great for about the last 10 months.

#27 OFFLINE   fudpucker

fudpucker

Godfather

• Registered
  • 632 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:47 AM

That's the "old" Hopper, not the newest one (Hopper with Sling) right?

#28 OFFLINE   some guy

some guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:47 PM

$50 is the average cost for Hopper 2000 upgrades. Hopper with Sling is $200-300 from all the posts I've been reading.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...