Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

EHD Activation

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   donimpulz

donimpulz

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:54 PM

I tried getting an external hard drive added to my account tonight via the tech chat on dish.com. I've got a vip211k, (2) 301's and a 311. When the support tech tried to add the EHD activation he said it prompted him to upgrade my standard def receivers. I'm not interested in changing out the SD receivers for various reasons. Maybe one of the DIRT folks can assist in getting the EHD activation added to my account?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,049 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:18 PM

use automated activation system, tel# should be on your TV when the EHD connected

#3 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:40 PM

I tried getting an external hard drive added to my account tonight via the tech chat on dish.com. I've got a vip211k, (2) 301's and a 311. When the support tech tried to add the EHD activation he said it prompted him to upgrade my standard def receivers. I'm not interested in changing out the SD receivers for various reasons. Maybe one of the DIRT folks can assist in getting the EHD activation added to my account?

If your HD locals are EA, Dish will try to upgrade all your receivers to Mpeg4 and a new dish. There would not be a charge for the upgrade. I would PM a DIRT member for all the info, but I am surprised the EHD wasn't activated unless there is something attached to the account preventing any changes to the account. Personally, I would take the upgrade.

#4 ONLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,049 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:45 PM

the flag is DP301 model ...

#5 OFFLINE   donimpulz

donimpulz

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:28 PM

Calling the automated number worked and the receiver activated the drive quickly.

My HD is on EA, and I've got my SD running on a DP500. Eventually I'll get the 301's swapped but I like the portability of taking one of them on the road and easy pointing at a single sat.. Also all my gear is purchased, not leased (personal preference).

#6 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:35 AM

Calling the automated number worked and the receiver activated the drive quickly.

My HD is on EA, and I've got my SD running on a DP500. Eventually I'll get the 301's swapped but I like the portability of taking one of them on the road and easy pointing at a single sat.. Also all my gear is purchased, not leased (personal preference).

You have a 211 so you know it works like a 311/301. It also can be connected to a dish 500 and aimed the same as a 301/311. Take the free upgrade you will still own your receivers.

#7 ONLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,049 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:52 AM

but new HD receivers would be leased and you knows - they will force you into 2 years contract if you'll use leased equipment

#8 OFFLINE   puckwithahalo

puckwithahalo

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:35 PM

but new HD receivers would be leased and you knows - they will force you into 2 years contract if you'll use leased equipment

If its a forced upgrade, there's no commitment.
The postings on this site are my own and don't represent Dish's positions, strategies, or opinions.

-Puck

#9 ONLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,049 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:32 PM

I'm skeptical and have my doubts as many of other customers who discovered unpleasant surprise after getting the swap ...

#10 OFFLINE   puckwithahalo

puckwithahalo

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:28 PM

I'm skeptical and have my doubts as many of other customers who discovered unpleasant surprise after getting the swap ...

I'm saying it as fact. If it is a forced upgrade, and since the forced upgrades were started, there is no commitment involved. Now if the agent sets it up as a voluntary upgrade instead, or the customer wants something other than the specific equipment offered in the force, yes there could be a contract then. So not saying it hasn't happened, but saying it shouldn't under the terms of the upgrade as it is supposed to be done when it is a required one.
The postings on this site are my own and don't represent Dish's positions, strategies, or opinions.

-Puck

#11 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:37 PM

Because anecdotal evidence from hit and run posts that dont divulge all of the information are credible sources :D

#12 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,857 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:41 PM

To my knowledge a forced upgrade does not Include making you sign a new contract. Depending on the equipment and customer rating you may or may not get everything free. If you take what Dish wants to give you it should be free including any need for a new Dish. There can be exceptions but not for most customers.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...