Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

For the love of God!!! HR24 audio dropouts

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   double

double

AllStar

• Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:40 PM

WTF!!!! I cant take it anymore. I just searched the forum and I am seeing posts back to 2010 about the issue. I lived with it since i got my HR-24 in late 2010 because i always thought it was my POS Onkyo TX-SR606 surround receiver. I upgraded to a Yamaha RX-A820 and what do you know......still a problem. There is no rhyme or reason. live, recorded, no particular frequency. 2 freaking years with the smae problem? WOW! I have been a Direct customer for 13 years, i think i deserve a little better than this. is this still an issue for the HR-24 for most? Is it an issue for the HR34? I want to upgrade to an HR-34, but not interested if it also suffers from the issue.
AU9 Dish/ SWM-16 Multiswitch
HR-24/500 HDMI to Yamaha RX-A820 to Samsung UN55ES7500
HR-22/100 HDMI to LN52A650 LCD & Component Video to Toshiba 20HLV86 LCD w/DVD
HR-21/700 HDMI to Samsung LNS4095DX
HR-22/100 HDMI to Viewsonic 40" LCD
HR-20/700 HDMI to Veiwsonic 40" LCD

Every location has 1 RG6Q and DECA. System has broadband DECA.

Broadband provided by Verizon DSL

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   JerryMeeker

JerryMeeker

Legend

• Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:54 PM

I have two HR24's and one HR21. I have the occasional audio dropout on all three. By occasional, I mean several during a night's viewing. My signal strength is strong, so I have assumed it's just the DTV signal.

#3 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,513 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:45 PM

I have two HR24's and one HR21. I have the occasional audio dropout on all three. By occasional, I mean several during a night's viewing. My signal strength is strong, so I have assumed it's just the DTV signal.

I find this a lot on my HR23 on CBS, FOX, ESPN AND GOLF Channels.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#4 ONLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,712 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 06:44 AM

I find this a lot on my HR23 on CBS, FOX, ESPN AND GOLF Channels.

Indeed.

Assuming every audio drop is an HD DVR, DirecTV transmission, or connection issue is a mistake.

While audio is quite clean 99% + of the time...there are still occasional hiccups in the audio transmitted by networks and indivisual channels.

The best audio equipment in the world cannot compensate for an audio "hiccup" coming from the source or lost along the transmission path.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#5 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 15 January 2013 - 06:57 AM

All HD stuff exhibits this, on every provider I have ever witnessed.

#6 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,990 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:38 AM

It does seem worse with Dolby on, and some AV receivers handle it better than others. It would make my Onkyo click. Still happens on occasion with my Denon, but without clicking. I haven't watched it in a few seasons but I swore it was worst with a particular program on History.

#7 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:07 AM

HR-24/500-It seams that model (500) may have more issues than any other HR receiver in the fleet.

If you search on the 500 series you will find a bunch of different strange happenings.
"Let's Have Some Fun!"

#8 OFFLINE   double

double

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:29 AM

mine happens all of the time. when it happens, it is for a duration of 1-12 seconds. the frequency just completely varies. sometimes an hour can go by with nothing, sometimes it can happen 3-4 times in a half hour show. all that is required to "fix" it is to pause then play.

#9 OFFLINE   BAHitman

BAHitman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 431 posts
  • LocationAustin Texas

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:37 AM

I notice it on occasion, but it is usually in the recording as when I back it up, it is there so I don't blame the DVR, I blame the source. sometimes I can even see a video hickup in my locals...

I have seen it at friends house with TWC also so I don't think it's necessarily a DirecTV problem...

HR34, HR20x3, HR22, HR23, H24, H21

-BAHitman

#10 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,679 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:40 AM

WTF!!!! I cant take it anymore. I just searched the forum and I am seeing posts back to 2010 about the issue. I lived with it since i got my HR-24 in late 2010 because i always thought it was my POS Onkyo TX-SR606 surround receiver. I upgraded to a Yamaha RX-A820 and what do you know......still a problem. There is no rhyme or reason. live, recorded, no particular frequency. 2 freaking years with the smae problem? WOW! I have been a Direct customer for 13 years, i think i deserve a little better than this. is this still an issue for the HR-24 for most? Is it an issue for the HR34? I want to upgrade to an HR-34, but not interested if it also suffers from the issue.

Better to look for cause rather than to blame. ;)

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#11 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,679 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:09 PM

It does seem worse with Dolby on, and some AV receivers handle it better than others. It would make my Onkyo click. Still happens on occasion with my Denon, but without clicking. I haven't watched it in a few seasons but I swore it was worst with a particular program on History.

I've got 2 Sony AVs and a Sammy AV and none of them click or have audio dropouts that I would blame on D* or the units themselves. I do hear some crap on Fox from time to time, heard it on the playoffs this weekend. That I'd blame on Fox. I still find it hard to believe that Fox still broadcasts in 720p. With that in mind, I'm not surprised to hear strange noises from their broadcasts.

Rich

#12 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,679 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:10 PM

I notice it on occasion, but it is usually in the recording as when I back it up, it is there so I don't blame the DVR, I blame the source. sometimes I can even see a video hickup in my locals...

I have seen it at friends house with TWC also so I don't think it's necessarily a DirecTV problem...

It's usually a broadcast problem.

Rich

#13 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,679 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:11 PM

You ever hear anything like that on your Sonys?

Rich

#14 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,339 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:53 PM

I lived with it since i got my HR-24 in late 2010 because i always thought it was my POS Onkyo TX-SR606 surround receiver. I upgraded to a Yamaha RX-A820 and what do you know......still a problem

Your sig. line indicates you're going HDMI direct to the TVs. Is that correct?
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#15 OFFLINE   double

double

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:01 PM

huh? i pay them $200 a month! I shouldn't have to do anything whatsoever, but turn it on and enjoy. This problem has been present for almost two years or more!!!!!!! It is time for blame now! I have no problem with slight audio dropouts during channel changing or during FF RWD sessions, but this is ridiculous! I am about to throw a major bitchfest. None of my other boxes do this, they might have some of the standard anomolies, but not like this.

#16 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,790 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:07 PM

huh? i pay them $200 a month! I shouldn't have to do anything whatsoever, but turn it on and enjoy. This problem has been present for almost two years or more!!!!!!! It is time for blame now! I have no problem with slight audio dropouts during channel changing or during FF RWD sessions, but this is ridiculous! I am about to throw a major bitchfest. None of my other boxes do this, they might have some of the standard anomolies, but not like this.

I'm not sure what is going on with your 24, but my HR24-500 doesn't have these.
A.K.A VOS

#17 ONLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,712 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:10 PM

It appears you are referencing a specific issue with a specific HR24 HD DVR. As you have seen, others with HR24 units have not shared your experience.

In your case...and assuming there are no other issues that you've checked with connectors and/or cables on your HR24 and/or your Yamaha AVR...then you've likely checked the primary things you can check on your end.

It's not impossible that there may be an issue with either the HR24 itself or else the audio driver in the firmware to your specific model Yamaha AVR.

My recommendation is that you e-mail DirecTV support, share all the details of what you've checked and the specific model information of all your equipment...and let them recommend how they might solve your issue.

There could be a number of things leading to your experience, so it becomes somewhat of a process-of-elimination path to follow.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#18 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,679 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:18 PM

This probably won't help you much, but I think the 24-500s are one of the very best DVRs and one of the wackiest. I have six of them and they certainly are interesting at times. You might have one that has gone from wacky to shot. Might be time to consider swapping it out. I had to replace a couple of them, they just went nutz. Happens. Happens with all of them. They'll usually give you a 24 for a 24.

Rich

#19 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,679 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:32 PM

Not doubting your issues. However, I as well as others who have HR24-500s are not experiencing what you are. Again, ldentify the cause before you blame.

#20 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,679 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:33 PM

You ever hear anything like that on your Sonys?

Rich

No.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...