Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

For the love of God!!! HR24 audio dropouts

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   double

double

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:00 PM

guys, let me preface this with what i do and the level of knowledge i have. I am in the custom electronic installation business. I have owned my business for 15 years now. We work almost exclusively in very high end homes with our average system cost of $50k and our current largest project of $350k is completing as we speak. I am not a dealer for directv, but have put up 100 dishes and hundreds of receivers over my 15 year career. For the last 8 years, out of 100s of clients, I have had two that did not get Direct. I am intimately familiar with the workings of direct.

This problem is definitely exclusive to the HR24 boxes in my opinion. This is completely different from every other anomaly that other HR boxes experience in relation to audio. I have searched and found hundreds of other posts in relation to this problem with the HR24. I lived with it for so long because I havent had the time or the want to get to the bottom of it. I am always swapping, exchanging, loaning equipment so we always have a mish mash of equipment in our rack at home. I had a client give us an Onkyo TXSR606 with bad hdmi board. we used it for optical audio and it did the drop out constantly. i always chocked it up to the absolute POS onkyo. i sent the 606 for repair to onkyo and got it back with functioning hdmi. still did it. again i chocked it to the onkyo. my solution was to always turn DD off. as busy as my family has been, we never really thought of it much.

as the holidays approached and i got stuck with a UN55ES7500 left over from job, i decided to redo my entire system. Yamaha RX-A820, BD-S673, B&W speakers sub, etc. finally (after yearsof 80-90% complete) got the Crestron control system up and running with dimmers, thermostat, etc. ready for a month long family fest with family in and out for over a month.

what do you know..... it still did it! tried the blu-ray, works perfectly. tried one of the older HR boxes, perfect. it is the HR-24. i wouldnt mind leaving the older HR box in the rack for the main system, but the 24 is so much better! it is snappier for sure. I have been a premium subscribing customer for 13 years, i deserve to have this rectified.

in all fairness to directv, i havnt called them once to discuss. like i said it was never really a big problem until i actually thought about it, then life takes over again and i would forget until the next time i thought about it. now all of this time has gone by and i just want it fixed. above all, i am really shocked to see that the issue was well documented as far as 2010 and is still a problem!! crazy.

also, i am not sure if it would exhibit this directly connected to tv vs through A/V receiver. might try that tonight!
AU9 Dish/ SWM-16 Multiswitch
HR-24/500 HDMI to Yamaha RX-A820 to Samsung UN55ES7500
HR-22/100 HDMI to LN52A650 LCD & Component Video to Toshiba 20HLV86 LCD w/DVD
HR-21/700 HDMI to Samsung LNS4095DX
HR-22/100 HDMI to Viewsonic 40" LCD
HR-20/700 HDMI to Veiwsonic 40" LCD

Every location has 1 RG6Q and DECA. System has broadband DECA.

Broadband provided by Verizon DSL

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#22 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,645 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:08 PM

It does seem worse with Dolby on, and some AV receivers handle it better than others. It would make my Onkyo click. Still happens on occasion with my Denon, but without clicking. I haven't watched it in a few seasons but I swore it was worst with a particular program on History.

I think that is the key; interopability with consumer equipment. When DD was designed it was not really envisioned for transport via sat or terrestrial, but was for closed systems like laserdisk, etc. They never really put any error correction in it. DVB, QAM, and ASTC add forward error correction, but that is sort of tacked-on rather than designed for DD from the ground up, so is not all that robust.

In a world where they try to compress as much as possible and cram as much info into a stream as is possible, the ability for errors to creep in is near the hairy edge. Also, any digital transmission is never totally error-free, even with error correction. A "perfect" stream still averages one glitch a day. A good stream averages one every hour or two, an acceptable one averages one every minute or two, and a poor one averages more than one glitch per minute, if you look at this from a QoS standpoint.

That implies that peaking your alignment may reduce the issue. And that QoS standard applies to the video; DD may manifest more errors for a particular "acceptable" level of video delivery quality.

There is also the factor that while PCM/analog audio is exceptionally reliable in a HTS, DD is often not. This has partly to do with the fact that dropped audio frames can cause clicking and muting for digital, while that just won't happen with PCM/analog. This means that you have to have a visible video glitch to have a concurrent audio dropout if you are using PCM/analog, while if using DD into a AVR, you can have minor glitches that don't even manifest in video but still might mute or click the DD.

It is also similar to the handshake for HDMI; both ends of a DD connection have to be clocked perfectly all the time, or there will be mutes or clicks. But that system once again is not all that robust; once HDMI locks, it pretty much stays locked, but DD can drift in and out of lock more often than it really should. It's not a great system for a HTS application, but then it is what it is.

And here is what points away from the sat transmission and reception, and towards the DD link to your AVR as being where the problem most likely is, is that the only audio sent to your DVR is DD; the PCM/analog outputs are derived from a 2.0 downmix from that 5.1 source. If the analog audio is OK, the DD audio must be nearly as OK up to that point. The DD link outbound from there to the AVR is typically where we see the problems.

About all you can do is have the newest firmware in your AVR (Denon and Onkyo used to be the worst offenders in DD issues, but newer firmware fixes a lot of that). Or use PCM/analog, which drops out much more rarely for DVB delivery.
It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#23 OFFLINE   double

double

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:09 PM

No.

it definitely happens to the sonys. in fact. im pretty sure it was VOS who sent his sony AVR to direct to test in 2010. it is actually pretty well documented on the webs.

#24 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,102 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:13 PM

This problem is definitely exclusive to the HR24 boxes in my opinion. This is completely different from every other anomaly that other HR boxes experience in relation to audio. ......
..... ! tried the blu-ray, works perfectly. tried one of the older HR boxes, perfect. it is the HR-24.

...in all fairness to directv, i haven't called them once to discuss. like i said it was never really a big problem until i actually thought about it, then life takes over again and i would forget until the next time i thought about it. now all of this time has gone by and i just want it fixed. above all, i am really shocked to see that the issue was well documented as far as 2010 and is still a problem!! crazy.

It's a bit of a struggle to empathize with your plight when DirecTV themselves has not yet been contacted to resolve the problem. It's also safe to assume that jumping up and down in frustration doesn't fix much.

Based on your added information, it would seem that the time would be best spent having a conversation with the technical area of DirecTV - your solution may be as simple as them providing a replacement HD DVR.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#25 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,988 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:16 PM

it definitely happens to the sonys. in fact. im pretty sure it was VOS who sent his sony AVR to direct to test in 2010. it is actually pretty well documented on the webs.

Yes, I did and the problem, which wasn't anywhere near as bad as you've posted, was addressed in a software update "way back then".

Dolby has had problems with the encoders used in the uplink, but for the most part, this has finally been addressed too.

To have the level of dropouts you seem to be having, "just isn't normal", and I say this with the amp that was used to find the problem back then.
A.K.A VOS

#26 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,348 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:44 PM

also, i am not sure if it would exhibit this directly connected to tv vs through A/V receiver. might try that tonight!

Bingo! What I was getting at in my previous question of you. Certainly a mode to try.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#27 OFFLINE   double

double

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:27 PM

It's a bit of a struggle to empathize with your plight when DirecTV themselves has not yet been contacted to resolve the problem. It's also safe to assume that jumping up and down in frustration doesn't fix much.

Based on your added information, it would seem that the time would be best spent having a conversation with the technical area of DirecTV - your solution may be as simple as them providing a replacement HD DVR.

i completely understand what you are saying, but it is a widely known problem, even to this day. obviously they will probably replace as i have done extensive diagnostics with it in the current system. different hdmi cables, different AVRs, different displays. it was connected to a Vidikron VL52 52" LCD until about 2 months ago. one thing for sure is that it is DEFINITELY a Dolby Digital problem. I don't think this problem would ever rear its head connected directly to TV via HDMI. TVs do not decode audio in Dolby Digital. Even if you have turned on DD in the HR menu, the TV via, EDID (enhanced display identification data) tells the HR to send the stereo PCM stream.

#28 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,102 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:52 PM

i completely understand what you are saying, but it is a widely known problem, even to this day. obviously they will probably replace as i have done extensive diagnostics with it in the current system. different hdmi cables, different AVRs, different displays. it was connected to a Vidikron VL52 52" LCD until about 2 months ago. one thing for sure is that it is DEFINITELY a Dolby Digital problem. I don't think this problem would ever rear its head connected directly to TV via HDMI. TVs do not decode audio in Dolby Digital. Even if you have turned on DD in the HR menu, the TV via, EDID (enhanced display identification data) tells the HR to send the stereo PCM stream.

For a "widely known problem" it sure hasn't been reported by many folks...

...and you have admittedly chosen not to go through the logical process of reporting it to DirecTV either for a replacement. Good luck on a solution following that course.

#29 OFFLINE   double

double

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:05 PM

...and you have admittedly chosen not to go through the logical process of reporting it to DirecTV either for a replacement. Good luck on a solution following that course.

LMGTFY

and as well as here

http://www.dbstalk.c...earchid=9220350

also, after having directv for 13 years and dealing with the installation of hundreds of systems, my process is way more logical than your suggestion!! I think hundreds of members here would agree with me that I have gotten MUCH BETTER help here and for MUCH LESS time involved!! I was simply coming here to ask if this was still an issue. It was DEFINITELY an issue and looks like some people are still experiencing issues. From what VOS has said, he thinks it was an issue that was addressed a while back, so after arming myself with some good info, I can now proceed with calling directv, going through a long list of stuff they want me to try, then who knows what to actually resolve. It is actually surprising to see someone here on the best source for DTV info so anxious to call tech support!! Good luck to you on your endeavors as well!!

#30 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,645 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:12 PM

...TVs do not decode audio in Dolby Digital...

Well, sure they do. I apologize if I lifted this out of context, but I am unclear as to what the context is. It may also be beside the real point you are making, but if so still threatens the clarity of that point.

A little more accurately, they decode from DD. Every TV with an ATSC tuner must by definition be able to decode DD, because that is essentially AC-3, which is what the audio is sent as. DD also permeates all the way through to DVB/DBS delivery, and in that case is decoded in the DBS STB or DVR, and/or extracted there and decoded in a connected TV or AVR.

So I'm not sure what you might be referring to; but all modern TVs can decode DD; they have to.
It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#31 OFFLINE   double

double

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:37 PM

Well, sure they do. I apologize if I lifted this out of context, but I am unclear as to what the context is. It may also be beside the real point you are making, but if so still threatens the clarity of that point.

A little more accurately, they decode from DD. Every TV with an ATSC tuner must by definition be able to decode DD, because that is essentially AC-3, which is what the audio is sent as. DD also permeates all the way through to DVB/DBS delivery, and in that case is decoded in the DBS STB or DVR, and/or extracted there and decoded in a connected TV or AVR.

So I'm not sure what you might be referring to; but all modern TVs can decode DD; they have to.

you are correct, TVs can decode DD on the ATSC tuner, this is a function of the tuner! BUT, NO TV decodes DD on an HDMI input. TVs are stereo devices. The EDID on every TV tells the source to send stereo at whatever bitrate it supports.

Also to go even further, most TVs do not pass DD through an HDMI input to the optical digital output of the TV. When you are on an HDMI input of any Samsung TV, go to sound menu and try to change the SPDIF output format to DD or DTS, you cant, they are grayed out. The DD and DTS options are only available for built in tuner and streaming apps. This is what sucks about adding a Surround bar like the B&W Panorama to a TV that has HDMI sources. what could be as easy as running a single optical cable from TV to bar wont get you 5.1 sound to the bar. You have to run optical or coaxial digital from each source to the bar.

#32 OFFLINE   carillon

carillon

Legend

• Registered
  • 159 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:45 PM

Bingo! What I was getting at in my previous question of you. Certainly a mode to try.

Yes, I think several of us would be interested in finding out if the audio drops happen with the HR24 connected to the TV and bypassing your AVR. My HR24-500 had sporadic issues with audio drops when connected to my Denon AVR via HDMI.
SlimLine-5 SWM-8-LNB Dish (HD Service / WHDVR)
HR34-700 Genie / Sharp 52LE700UN HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA
C31 Genie RVU Client / Dynex HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA
HR24-500 / Panasonic TC-P54S2 / HDMI / Networked - DECA
H24-700 / Toshiba SDTV / Networked - DECA

#33 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,911 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:30 AM

+1......Usually when there is a widely known problem with a product the manufacturer recalls, repairs, or replaces the product. This is clearly not the case. It's a isolated issue. The logical step for the OP would have been to first trouble shoot the issue, then contact DirecTV if trouble shooting failed to resolve the issue. Instead the OP chose to come here to blame and complain. Perhaps it would be best if we simply offer him a crying towel.

DIRECTV customer since 1995.

#34 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,102 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:44 AM

also, after having directv for 13 years and dealing with the installation of hundreds of systems, my process is way more logical than your suggestion!! I think hundreds of members here would agree with me that I have gotten MUCH BETTER help here and for MUCH LESS time involved!!

Then again.....that's not the original issue you posted.

There still is no validation shown of a wide-ranging problem as reported in the original post. There were some early firmware issues as ith any new device, and isolated cases of certain models of certain manufacturers having Dolby-related hiccups primarily linked to drivers to support those AVRs. Testimony of other HR24 users NOT have the issue further substantiates this as an isolated issue.

+1......Usually when there is a widely known problem with a product the manufacturer recalls, repairs, or replaces the product. This is clearly not the case. It's a isolated issue. The logical step for the OP would have been to first trouble shoot the issue, then contact DirecTV if trouble shooting failed to resolve the issue.

Had that course been followed, the OP likely already would have a replacement unit by now and the problem resolved. I also read nothing about replacement cables being substituted to validate that cables/connections could be eliminated as a source of the problem....diagnostics 101.

As stated earlier, following a process of elimination path to get to the root cause is the only way to resolve the issue. At this point, complaining without logically attempting to resolve the matter is just complaining.

#35 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:18 AM

Double, did you miss the post about it happens on some HD sources from EVERY PROVIDER?

I'm not trying to defend D* here, I'm saying, some of the issues are at the source. I believe someone else also pointed that out and you got a little "soapboxy" about it...your credentials aren't really any more impressive than many other very helpful posters here, so please don't think you're better equipped to troubleshoot or analyze it than others here. Many of us realize there is a long list of variables in the transmission chain, and its not as cut and dry as you may like to make it.

#36 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,439 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:35 PM

you are correct, TVs can decode DD on the ATSC tuner, this is a function of the tuner! BUT, NO TV decodes DD on an HDMI input. TVs are stereo devices. The EDID on every TV tells the source to send stereo at whatever bitrate it supports.

Also to go even further, most TVs do not pass DD through an HDMI input to the optical digital output of the TV. When you are on an HDMI input of any Samsung TV, go to sound menu and try to change the SPDIF output format to DD or DTS, you cant, they are grayed out. The DD and DTS options are only available for built in tuner and streaming apps. This is what sucks about adding a Surround bar like the B&W Panorama to a TV that has HDMI sources. what could be as easy as running a single optical cable from TV to bar wont get you 5.1 sound to the bar. You have to run optical or coaxial digital from each source to the bar.

This is puzzling me. Have you actually hooked up another of your HRs to exactly the same cables and wiring that the 24-500 has on it? If the problem is with the 500 you would not hear the odd sounds you are hearing on another HR and your only issue then would be getting another 24 from D*. If the odd sounds are still heard on the HR replacing the 500, you've got a problem with the AV set. That's just about as simple as you can get. Have you done that?

You seem to be lashing out at the 500s as a group, even going to extent of taking VOS's lending D* (What, they couldn't buy one?) his Sony AV set completely out of context.

Rich

#37 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,988 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:55 PM

You seem to be lashing out at the 500s as a group, even going to extent of taking VOS's lending D* (What, they couldn't buy one?) his Sony AV set completely out of context.

Rich

Let me address this.
They did buy a Sony AVR and have it delivered to me as a loaner, so I could then send them mine for testing.
Why they wanted mine was it reacts very quickly to a loss of Dolby, so it makes it very easy to notice the problem, as the blue DD 5.1 light goes out/blinks, followed by the display scrolling as it reacquires the DD 5.1 signal.
The loaner they sent [a newer model] was actually less sensitive to the loss of Dolby, and didn't have the bright indicator light.
A.K.A VOS

#38 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,439 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:14 PM

Let me address this.
They did buy a Sony AVR and have it delivered to me as a loaner, so I could then send them mine for testing.
Why they wanted mine was it reacts very quickly to a loss of Dolby, so it makes it very easy to notice the problem, as the blue DD 5.1 light goes out/blinks, followed by the display scrolling as it reacquires the DD 5.1 signal.
The loaner they sent [a newer model] was actually less sensitive to the loss of Dolby, and didn't have the bright indicator light.

I've got one of those Sonys without the blue light. I think they only made one or two models like that, my newest Sony has the blue light again. I didn't know about the loaner (my apologies to anyone from D* that's reading this). I've been using Sony AV systems for years, mainly because I understand them, getting that model without a blue light really surprised me.

Rich

#39 OFFLINE   double

double

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:43 PM

[quote name='hdtvfan0001']Then again.....that's not the original issue you posted.[/QUOTE]

I have no idea what you mean by that! I have only spoke of one issue here. The loss of sound when on DD. A loss of sound that is COMPLETELY different than other KNOWN audio issues with both DTV and terrestrial TV services.

[/QUOTE]
There still is no validation shown of a wide-ranging problem as reported in the original post. There were some early firmware issues as ith any new device, and isolated cases of certain models of certain manufacturers having Dolby-related hiccups primarily linked to drivers to support those AVRs. Testimony of other HR24 users NOT have the issue further substantiates this as an isolated issue.[/QUOTE]

No validation? Did you look at anything that I posted? I didnt say wide ranging problem, I said known problem. It is or was KNOWN that the HR-24 had a unique problem in respect to audio dropouts. Also, there are no "drivers" for HDMI devices!! It isnt USB. Testimony of others that do not have the problem substantiates nothing!! That is hilarious! Are you saying that because no one has responded to my post with said problem, it doesnt exist? LOL, im not quite sure what to respond to that.

[/QUOTE]
Had that course been followed, the OP likely already would have a replacement unit by now and the problem resolved. I also read nothing about replacement cables being substituted to validate that cables/connections could be eliminated as a source of the problem....diagnostics 101.[/QUOTE]

WTF do you think I am doing? I have trouble shot. I came here to research and see if anyone else experienced this problem. Found that people still are, whether it is being experienced widely or not i didnt specify, but there are posts dated 2013 on the internet of people experiencing this. Also, reread my posts, i have tried numerous different brands of cables, three different receivers and two different TVs.

[/QUOTE]
As stated earlier, following a process of elimination path to get to the root cause is the only way to resolve the issue. At this point, complaining without logically attempting to resolve the matter is just complaining.[/QUOTE]

As stated earlier, that is exactly what I am doing!!! I regrettably made a pit stop here to pick the brains of other intelligent members (obviously not all) who for the most part know more than almost any CSR i have ever spoken with. I cant understand how you think my process is not logical. Are you implying that i was not ever going to call DTV to get it fixed? are you implying i was coming here to bitch and wait for a magical fix? oh well

#40 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,102 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:45 PM

Heee's baaaaaack....

Posted Image

Protected By... spam firewall...And...