Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

For the love of God!!! HR24 audio dropouts

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#41 ONLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,595 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:48 PM

[quote name='double']I have no idea what you mean by that! I have only spoke of one issue here. The loss of sound when on DD. A loss of sound that is COMPLETELY different than other KNOWN audio issues with both DTV and terrestrial TV services.

[/QUOTE]
There still is no validation shown of a wide-ranging problem as reported in the original post. There were some early firmware issues as ith any new device, and isolated cases of certain models of certain manufacturers having Dolby-related hiccups primarily linked to drivers to support those AVRs. Testimony of other HR24 users NOT have the issue further substantiates this as an isolated issue.[/QUOTE]

No validation? Did you look at anything that I posted? I didnt say wide ranging problem, I said known problem. It is or was KNOWN that the HR-24 had a unique problem in respect to audio dropouts. Also, there are no "drivers" for HDMI devices!! It isnt USB. Testimony of others that do not have the problem substantiates nothing!! That is hilarious! Are you saying that because no one has responded to my post with said problem, it doesnt exist? LOL, im not quite sure what to respond to that.

[/QUOTE]
Had that course been followed, the OP likely already would have a replacement unit by now and the problem resolved. I also read nothing about replacement cables being substituted to validate that cables/connections could be eliminated as a source of the problem....diagnostics 101.[/QUOTE]

WTF do you think I am doing? I have trouble shot. I came here to research and see if anyone else experienced this problem. Found that people still are, whether it is being experienced widely or not i didnt specify, but there are posts dated 2013 on the internet of people experiencing this. Also, reread my posts, i have tried numerous different brands of cables, three different receivers and two different TVs.

[/QUOTE]
As stated earlier, following a process of elimination path to get to the root cause is the only way to resolve the issue. At this point, complaining without logically attempting to resolve the matter is just complaining.[/QUOTE]

As stated earlier, that is exactly what I am doing!!! I regrettably made a pit stop here to pick the brains of other intelligent members (obviously not all) who for the most part know more than almost any CSR i have ever spoken with. I cant understand how you think my process is not logical. Are you implying that i was not ever going to call DTV to get it fixed? are you implying i was coming here to bitch and wait for a magical fix? oh well[/QUOTE]

Well, when are you going to call DirecTV? It's been two days since you started this thread.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   double

double

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:02 PM

Double, did you miss the post about it happens on some HD sources from EVERY PROVIDER?

I'm not trying to defend D* here, I'm saying, some of the issues are at the source. I believe someone else also pointed that out and you got a little "soapboxy" about it...your credentials aren't really any more impressive than many other very helpful posters here, so please don't think you're better equipped to troubleshoot or analyze it than others here. Many of us realize there is a long list of variables in the transmission chain, and its not as cut and dry as you may like to make it.

you are correct, they do experience audio issues, just not like this one. i have described and other members have confirmed the hr24 had other, completely different issues related to dropouts.

im not sure what "soapboxy" means.

i would beg to differ about my credentials! i would love to know how many members here install 6 digit A/V systems regularly? how many people here have installed $50,000 32x32 Crestron DM HDMI matrices that transmit over fiber? How many here have been extensively trained in HDMI delivery systems and have been DMC-E certified. You can look over what i have been trained on here! I am not tooting my own horn, but my experience and projects speak for themselves. You may be used to the typical computer forum cowboy, i am not one of them.
AU9 Dish/ SWM-16 Multiswitch
HR-24/500 HDMI to Yamaha RX-A820 to Samsung UN55ES7500
HR-22/100 HDMI to LN52A650 LCD & Component Video to Toshiba 20HLV86 LCD w/DVD
HR-21/700 HDMI to Samsung LNS4095DX
HR-22/100 HDMI to Viewsonic 40" LCD
HR-20/700 HDMI to Veiwsonic 40" LCD

Every location has 1 RG6Q and DECA. System has broadband DECA.

Broadband provided by Verizon DSL

#43 OFFLINE   double

double

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:08 PM

This is puzzling me. Have you actually hooked up another of your HRs to exactly the same cables and wiring that the 24-500 has on it? If the problem is with the 500 you would not hear the odd sounds you are hearing on another HR and your only issue then would be getting another 24 from D*. If the odd sounds are still heard on the HR replacing the 500, you've got a problem with the AV set. That's just about as simple as you can get. Have you done that?

You seem to be lashing out at the 500s as a group, even going to extent of taking VOS's lending D* (What, they couldn't buy one?) his Sony AV set completely out of context.

Rich

yes, i stated i had swapped other boxes in its place earlier. i never said i was hearing odd noises, i am getting complete dropouts for differing lengths of time between 3-12 seconds at a time. it happens on live, recorded, buffered material. it is definitely the box.

also, VOS has commented and clarified. anybody who clicked on the two links i provided or searched dbstalk for hr24 audio dropout would have seen his thread discussing this. i havent taken anything out of context.

#44 ONLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,595 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:11 PM

Heee's baaaaaack....

Posted Image

+1

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#45 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,695 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:11 PM

Did you look at anything that I posted? I didnt say wide ranging problem, I said known problem. It is or was KNOWN that the HR-24 had a unique problem in respect to audio dropouts.

The operative word here "was", and that was a couple of years ago.
Even when it was a problem, it didn't match your post.
About ever 4 mins or so it would "blimp" with a recording. Playing another recording from another DVR would also have this problem, but if it was the same recorded program, it would happen at a different point in the recording.
If you played the recording from the 24 on another receiver, it didn't have a problem.

NONE of them ever lasted 10 sec, though the type of amp being used can extend the time the problem lasts.
This has been seen in the thread about Dolby problems that were encoder related. Some very nice amps take much longer to recover than my cheap Sony.

"My point" is not to piss on your troubleshooting skills, but to try to point you in a better direction. You either have a problem with your setup, "or" a semi-unique problem with "this HR24".

Dolby isn't perfect, but most/all of the problems now relate to the feed being sent to DirecTV.
A.K.A VOS

#46 OFFLINE   double

double

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:13 PM

Well, when are you going to call DirecTV? It's been two days since you started this thread.

already called.

#47 OFFLINE   double

double

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:20 PM

I am pretty surprised at the reaction i got from this thread. hdtv00001, for some reason has taken personal offense to the fact i am frustrated with a problem i have been experiencing for quite some time that dozens of others have experienced specific to the hr24. another member on this thread has confirmed there was an issue specific to the hr24 that engineering knew about. i wanted to come here and see if it was still a problem or really just get anybodys input or experiences with the box. instead i got an a**hole that felt the need to reply to my every post, miss valuable information i posted, and contribute absolutely nothing!!!! thanks everyone, what a community!!!!

#48 OFFLINE   double

double

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:24 PM

Heee's baaaaaack....

Posted Image

oh, i get it now, it makes sense......you are 13!!

#49 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,695 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:28 PM

I am pretty surprised at the reaction i got from this thread. hdtv00001, for some reason has taken personal offense to the fact i am frustrated with a problem i have been experiencing for quite some time that dozens of others have experienced specific to the hr24. another member on this thread has confirmed there was an issue specific to the hr24 that engineering knew about. i wanted to come here and see if it was still a problem or really just get anybodys input or experiences with the box. instead i got an a**hole that felt the need to reply to my every post, miss valuable information i posted, and contribute absolutely nothing!!!! thanks everyone, what a community!!!!

I've tried to be helpful and informative, as I've been dealing with DirecTV and Dolby problems dating back maybe 5 years.

If you think there is a problem with your 24, if it's anything like the old problem, you can find this out by:

Use MRV and play recordings from other DVRs, and play recordings from this 24 on other DVRs.

If the problem exists on all DVRs, most likely it was the feed with the corrupted Dolby.
If on the other hand, a recording that plays well on another DVR, has problem on your 24, and a recording on your 24 plays fine on another DVR, "then" this 24 looks to be defective.
A.K.A VOS

#50 OFFLINE   double

double

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:34 PM

The operative word here "was", and that was a couple of years ago.
Even when it was a problem, it didn't match your post.
About ever 4 mins or so it would "blimp" with a recording. Playing another recording from another DVR would also have this problem, but if it was the same recorded program, it would happen at a different point in the recording.
If you played the recording from the 24 on another receiver, it didn't have a problem.

NONE of them ever lasted 10 sec, though the type of amp being used can extend the time the problem lasts.
This has been seen in the thread about Dolby problems that were encoder related. Some very nice amps take much longer to recover than my cheap Sony.

"My point" is not to piss on your troubleshooting skills, but to try to point you in a better direction. You either have a problem with your setup, "or" a semi-unique problem with "this HR24".

Dolby isn't perfect, but most/all of the problems now relate to the feed being sent to DirecTV.

VOS, thanks, i completely understand. that is exactly why i came here! obviously i have a bad box. i guess others on this thread only use the forum to praise directvs efforts and defend them from all attacks. i was under the impression problems and issues could be discussed.

#51 OFFLINE   double

double

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:36 PM

I've tried to be helpful and informative, as I've been dealing with DirecTV and Dolby problems dating back maybe 5 years.

If you think there is a problem with your 24, if it's anything like the old problem, you can find this out by:

Use MRV and play recordings from other DVRs, and play recordings from this 24 on other DVRs.

If the problem exists on all DVRs, most likely it was the feed with the corrupted Dolby.
If on the other hand, a recording that plays well on another DVR, has problem on your 24, and a recording on your 24 plays fine on another DVR, "then" this 24 looks to be defective.

only on this dvr. with all DD content from any recording both on the suspect 24 and also MRV from any other DVR. its definitely got problems!!

#52 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,695 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:47 PM

VOS, thanks, i was under the impression problems and issues could be discussed.

only on this dvr. with all DD content from any recording both on the suspect 24 and also MRV from any other DVR. its definitely got problems!!

Hopefully the forum will continue to be a place for this.

"Yep" it sounds like this box is bad. What should be of some comfort is not all of them are, so a replacement should resolve the problem.
A.K.A VOS

#53 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,530 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:43 PM

you are correct, TVs can decode DD on the ATSC tuner, this is a function of the tuner! BUT, NO TV decodes DD on an HDMI input. TVs are stereo devices. The EDID on every TV tells the source to send stereo at whatever bitrate it supports.

Also to go even further, most TVs do not pass DD through an HDMI input to the optical digital output of the TV. When you are on an HDMI input of any Samsung TV, go to sound menu and try to change the SPDIF output format to DD or DTS, you cant, they are grayed out. The DD and DTS options are only available for built in tuner and streaming apps. This is what sucks about adding a Surround bar like the B&W Panorama to a TV that has HDMI sources. what could be as easy as running a single optical cable from TV to bar wont get you 5.1 sound to the bar. You have to run optical or coaxial digital from each source to the bar.

Thank you very much for the clarification. TV's decode DD, but rarely other than in the RF chain feeding the ATSC/QAM tuner (actually, just after demod and demux). Agreed.

While HDMI has the capability of passing DD, I think you are correct that in most cases audio that arrives at a TV via HDMI is not decoded as DD there, and that it rarely if ever is passed back out through the optical output of a TV. Again, we're agreed. Not that any of that even matters.

And don't fret over the haters; they will eventually screw themselves into the ground. Ignore them; the rest of us are still here with you and generally speaking we are not here to take cowardly pot shots at you for sport from behind the safety of a keyboard. You're pissed, and frustrated, and rightfully so.

I think we can all agree that there are audio dropouts due to transmission and reception, but I also think those are pretty rare compared to audio dropouts from the STB to the AVR via DD, which seem to be much more common.

A few posters here seem not to realize the importance of what I posted earlier, which is that DD is the ONLY audio transmitted with an HD channel over ATSC, cable, or DBS. Any non-DD audio feeds connected from the STB are generated from that DD source, typically a stereo 2.0 mixdown. And that is a process that will not generate drop-outs of its own.

What that means is that since the problems lie typically in the DD link from STB to AVR and rarely manifest in the stereo 2.0 audio outputs, DD as the source and DTV as the provider can't really be at fault for not providing coherently-solid audio to the STB. This points to the problem being after that point in the chain, either a faulty DD pickoff and retransmit from the STB, or an interopability issue with the consumer-grade DD decoder as it listens for DD from the STB.

If its the first problem, which is uncommon, you should consider getting them to replace the HR24. If it is the second problem, which has a long history of being a common problem, you should first up rev firmware in the AVR. Then either consider a different AVR or just don't use DD.

But that it might be a problem prior to the uplink or in transmission is not borne out by the low number of complaints, and that it might be a problem in poor reception is something easily determined, and not very likely.

Edited by TomCat, 16 January 2013 - 06:48 PM.

It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#54 OFFLINE   double

double

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:27 PM

tomcat, thanks. all good info.

#55 OFFLINE   Philz

Philz

• Registered
  • 8 posts
  • LocationVA Beach

Posted 24 November 2013 - 10:29 PM

I recently updated my boxes to HR44 with 2 mini genies and a HR24-100
Unfortunately  I'm getting 1-2 sec Audio dropout  2  - 3 an hour on HR24 with DD enabled.

Such dropouts are not present on my older HR20 and newer HR44 or minis using same AV & cables.

Phil-

Edited by Philz, 24 November 2013 - 10:31 PM.

#56 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,396 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 25 November 2013 - 10:51 AM

It does seem worse with Dolby on, and some AV receivers handle it better than others. It would make my Onkyo click. Still happens on occasion with my Denon, but without clicking. I haven't watched it in a few seasons but I swore it was worst with a particular program on History.

Happens very rarely to me.  My Sony AVRs that everyone disparages have very few problems.  I have 11 active 24s and don't have enough audio dropouts to even mention them.  

Rich 

#57 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,908 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 25 November 2013 - 11:21 AM

I recently updated my boxes to HR44 with 2 mini genies and a HR24-100
Unfortunately  I'm getting 1-2 sec Audio dropout  2  - 3 an hour on HR24 with DD enabled.

Such dropouts are not present on my older HR20 and newer HR44 or minis using same AV & cables.

Welcome to DBSTalk! 

Is your '24 going through an AVR via HDMI? Can you  bypass that, and do audio via fibre cable?

Have you rebooted it? 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#58 OFFLINE   Philz

Philz

• Registered
  • 8 posts
  • LocationVA Beach

Posted 25 November 2013 - 11:33 AM

During weekend I touched base with a friend of a friend that works for DTV doing installs.

We discussed my setup & sound issue being had ,he came to the conclusion it was more then likely due to my HR24 coaxial cable length .

SWM Dish to 4 way splitter > 40 ft.

The 4 way Splitter wire feed

1) HR44 with power source > 9 ft

2) Mini > 30ft

3) Mini > 90 ft

4) HR24 > 140 ft

#59 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,648 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 25 November 2013 - 11:39 AM

Happens very rarely to me.  My Sony AVRs that everyone disparages have very few problems.  I have 11 active 24s and don't have enough audio dropouts to even mention them.  

Rich 

It's gotten a lot better, this is a revived thread :)

#60 OFFLINE   Philz

Philz

• Registered
  • 8 posts
  • LocationVA Beach

Posted 25 November 2013 - 11:41 AM

Welcome to DBSTalk! 

Is your '24 going through an AVR via HDMI? Can you  bypass that, and do audio via fibre cable?

Have you rebooted it? 

Thanks

Ive tested in a number of ways

HR24 > HDMI > AV Pioneer 1020-k > Panasonic ST60 Plasma

HR24 > Optical > AV Pioneer 1020-k

HR24 > Dig Coax > AV Pioneer 1020-k

Now An interesting one.
HR24 > HDMI > Panasonic ST60 Plasma Optical out > AV Pioneer 1020-K.

DD didn't pass through TV optical out of course but i did notice 2 channel sound feed drops occurred when HR24 DD enabled.

From there I listened more closely finding drops occurred on 2 channel sound feed with any AV wire combination when DD was enabled

Yes many reboots unfortunately not resolving DD drops.

EDIT ADDING ADD MORE DETAIL:

Spoke with DTV advanced tech on Friday , Advanced offered HR21 , HR22 or HR23 replacement to resolve issue.

I told him to hold off on such move I needed to do research give me a call back on Tuesday.

Im going to request dish move which will shorten up SWM Dish to 4 Way Splitter & HR24 wire run by half.

What I will be looking at:

SWM Dish to 4 way splitter > 8 ft.

The 4 way Splitter wire feed
1)Mini with power source > 5 ft

2)HR44 > 20 ft

3)Mini >  30 ft
4)HR24 > 70 ft

The above is much more balanced run f,sure compared to my current setup only good can come from it solving issue being had

Edited by Philz, 25 November 2013 - 01:27 PM.

spam firewall