Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Nhlci 2012-2013 cbc hd?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   hdtimmy

hdtimmy

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:56 PM

On Saturday, the CBC will be broadcasting 3 games. Does anyone know if DirecTV will have CBC HD set up by then? Last year it took them a couple of weeks to set it up and we had to watch CBC SD.

I really, really enjoyed watching CBC HD last year and I am looking forward to it this Saturday. I will be disappointed if we have to watch CBC SD.

Thanks in advance.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   milton

milton

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 191 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:37 PM

A few years ago, NHL Network used to air HNIC every Saturday night. They no longer do that -- Why?

Did the league not like this because same teams were shown too often (like the Leafs)? Were ratings not high enough compared to other programming? Did CBC charge too much to rebroadcast?

I think NHL Network should just air HNIC from 6:30 through After Hours. One of the benefits of this is that Canadian teams are often not featured on NBC or other NHL Network games. In fact, it probably evens it out fairly well.

#3 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,312 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:38 PM

Welcome hdtimmy!

Each year the amount of HD games from Canada has increased on CI. And as a self-proclaimed HD snob who won't watch hockey in SD, lets hope this year is 100%. But until it starts, we're not going to know.

You might want to go over to the "NHL 2012-2013 Thread / NHL Center Ice / All NHL topics" thread.

Again, welcome.

#4 OFFLINE   FLWingNut

FLWingNut

Godfather

• Registered
  • 414 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 06:06 AM

A few years ago, NHL Network used to air HNIC every Saturday night. They no longer do that -- Why?

Did the league not like this because same teams were shown too often (like the Leafs)? Were ratings not high enough compared to other programming? Did CBC charge too much to rebroadcast?

I think NHL Network should just air HNIC from 6:30 through After Hours. One of the benefits of this is that Canadian teams are often not featured on NBC or other NHL Network games. In fact, it probably evens it out fairly well.

I seem to recall the NHL network said they got better ratings in the US by showing US teams. Theory is, we'd rather see 2 US teams than Edmonton at Vancouver.

#5 OFFLINE   Grafixguy

Grafixguy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 383 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:24 AM

I seem to recall the NHL network said they got better ratings in the US by showing US teams. Theory is, we'd rather see 2 US teams than Edmonton at Vancouver.

They also think we all want that stupid crawl at the bottom of the screen so we can read the same day old tweets over and over and over again.

#6 OFFLINE   Peter305

Peter305

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:57 AM

They also think we all want that stupid crawl at the bottom of the screen so we can read the same day old tweets over and over and over again.

The NHL network is picking up the Hockey tonight show at 6:30 every week. Then some weeks they are showing the 7 PM game but not the double header. It is to be hoped that there will be a dedicated HNIC channel in NHLCI but we will have to wait and see.

#7 OFFLINE   hdtimmy

hdtimmy

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:34 PM

CBC in SD is more than likely a sure thing on channel 770, if they have it set up like last year. What I'm wondering about is CBC in HD on channel 770-1. I've got some friends from the north coming over and hope to have it in HD.

Hopefully the CI channels and games will be added to the guide on Wednesday and all of our questions will be answered. I guess I'm just nervous because it took DirecTV two weeks last season to put a CBC HD game on 770-1.

#8 OFFLINE   cmasia

cmasia

Icon

• Registered
  • 690 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:54 PM

Last season, 770-1 was lit up almost all the time for both games of the HNIC doubleheader.
There were a couple of errors, but overall it was good.

My beef was D*'s closing of the channel at the end of the 7:00 game, reopening it right at 10:00.
Missed a lot of good Don Cherry!

Also, early in the season, D* occasionally cut off "After Hours". But that improved as the season progressed.

#9 OFFLINE   hdtimmy

hdtimmy

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:31 PM

Sounds like you watched 770-1 almost every Saturday night, just like myself. I agree with you on all points.

#10 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,312 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:19 PM

What Bettman said was that their survey showed that we'd rather watch their NHL Live show. There were a couple of users here who posted they did prefer the NHL show and since the 2nd HNIC game was available on another CI channel, didn't think it was 'bad'.

#11 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,211 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:52 PM

CBC in SD is more than likely a sure thing on channel 770, if they have it set up like last year. What I'm wondering about is CBC in HD on channel 770-1. I've got some friends from the north coming over and hope to have it in HD.

Hopefully the CI channels and games will be added to the guide on Wednesday and all of our questions will be answered. I guess I'm just nervous because it took DirecTV two weeks last season to put a CBC HD game on 770-1.

The Anik F2 satellite had a error for part of week 1.
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#12 OFFLINE   hdtimmy

hdtimmy

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:16 PM

Thanks for this info JoeTheDragon! I wasn't aware of this outage. I went to LyngSat and I see that DirecTV is using Shaw Direct for CBC HD.

Now that I know this information, I wonder why SportsNet Ontario is the only SN that we get in HD (besides MLB). SportsNet East, Pacific, and West would be available to DirecTV via their Shaw Direct receiver along with Ontario.

On Saturdays they could use it to show us CBC, and all other days they could use the same receiver to show us a SportsNet game, couldn't they? There must be other factors involved that I am not aware of.

It seems like a waste to use this receiver to only show games from two channels when they could use this receiver for a game almost every night of the week. Again, there must be a rights/legal issue that keeps this from happening.

#13 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,312 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:52 PM

Now that I know this information, I wonder why SportsNet Ontario is the only SN that we get in HD (besides MLB). SportsNet East, Pacific, and West would be available to DirecTV via their Shaw Direct receiver along with Ontario.

Over in one of the other hockey threads, this was posted:

Agreed - very good points. Last season I went on a "mission" to try and figure out the reason for #2 and #3. After a lot of CSR's transferring me to a lot of people, I managed to get a hold of someone in the DirecTV sports department to ask about 2 and 3. He spoke to his rep at the NHL who confirmed that the league does not guarantee to provide dual feeds, and generally will not provide the Canadian HD feed to providers due to the fact that the Canadian TV stations charge a higher fee for distributing.

Also, he noted one exception that is unique to DirecTV. If the game is coming from Sportsnet Ontario (ie: many Leafs and Sens games), then DirecTV will almost always show it in HD because they have a pre-existing contract with Sportsnet Ontario for the Blue Jays games in order to meet the MLB requirement that dual HD feeds are always available - so they don't have to pay more for that feed, and they don't have to rely on the league to provide it.

#14 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,928 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:33 PM

Thanks for this info JoeTheDragon! I wasn't aware of this outage. I went to LyngSat and I see that DirecTV is using Shaw Direct for CBC HD.

On Saturdays they could use it to show us CBC, and all other days they could use the same receiver to show us a SportsNet game, couldn't they? There must be other factors involved that I am not aware of.

It seems like a waste to use this receiver to only show games from two channels when they could use this receiver for a game almost every night of the week. Again, there must be a rights/legal issue that keeps this from happening.

You should take a look at the tour of DirecTV's facility:
http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=211046

They don't use a receiver that a Shaw Direct subscriber would use where they can just change the channel, they use a commercial receiver that outputs either a raw transport stream or broadcast quality baseband video with captioning and other data intact and is then re-encoded by DirecTV. In most cases these receivers are only authorized for the one channel they are in use for.

For CBC they're likely using the C-Band feeds and not the Ku-band feeds used by Shaw Direct subscribers.

#15 OFFLINE   hdtimmy

hdtimmy

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:14 AM

Very cool, thanks for the link. I figured that the receiver would be commercial grade, I just didn't realize that it would be locked in to one channel.

Looks like they would have to acquire a few more receivers and sign some broadcast agreements to give us Canadian feeds in HD, all without help from the NHL.

#16 OFFLINE   quik

quik

AllStar

• Registered
  • 64 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:04 AM

I can understand why NHL channel doesn't want to show just hnic every Saturday.

I would just be happy if NHLCI would provide the two games in HD along with the full HNIC show.

As someone who grew up in Ontario watching hnic, it's was great to have it in one continuous broadcast on the NHL channel. But the fact that the leafs have been sh#t for so many years now I'm not surprised they stopped.

Now that we have this hr34 at our disposal makes it easier for me to record hnic now that it's separate channels. Less conflicts with the 5 tuners all on one box. Before I had two hr22 at the same TV trying to schedule everything was as pain to sort out (I record a lot of hockey).

quick
1 x HR22-100 HD-DVR

1 x HR34-700 Genie

#17 OFFLINE   fireponcoal

fireponcoal

Icon

• Registered
  • 713 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:11 AM

We did get one Sportsnet west feed in HD last season. Not a games VS an eastern opponent either. ONE..

#18 OFFLINE   blackhawkzone

blackhawkzone

Godfather

• Registered
  • 513 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:59 AM

the league does not want to give it away for free when they can increase centre ice sales. You will NEVER see what you want again on the NHL network. I have that on pretty good authority.

#19 OFFLINE   blackhawkzone

blackhawkzone

Godfather

• Registered
  • 513 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:00 AM

We did get one Sportsnet west feed in HD last season. Not a games VS an eastern opponent either. ONE..

I remember an Oilers vs Hawks game last season that was commercial free.

#20 OFFLINE   Grafixguy

Grafixguy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 383 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:55 AM

the league does not want to give it away for free when they can increase centre ice sales. You will NEVER see what you want again on the NHL network. I have that on pretty good authority.

FWIW, I wish the NHL Network would show ZERO games. Between that horrible crawl on the bottom of the screen and the lack of pre- and post-game shows as well as no intermission from the games, their coverage sucks.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...