Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Ever Since Genie Upgrade - Lockups and Freeze Ups

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Spazzman

Spazzman

AllStar

• Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 06:56 AM

Guys,

My experience with Genie is less than enjoyable. I decided to re-up my contract and upgrade my dual tuner DVR to the new 5x DVR. Ever since the upgrade - when shows are played back on all of my DVRs - the shows freeze. DTV stated to me that a software update will happen soon to resolve the issue. That statement was made to me by them on Dec 31st. I noticed the Genie was updated with new Software on 1/9. Previous issues with youtube not working have been resolved however, the freezup on DVR playback remains.

I have two DVRs. My original plus the new Genie. Also, I have a 3rd receiver in the bedroom. The freeze ups happen on all of the devices. Is there a workaround?

Steve

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Krazeyman

Krazeyman

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:04 AM

Guys,

My experience with Genie is less than enjoyable. I decided to re-up my contract and upgrade my dual tuner DVR to the new 5x DVR. Ever since the upgrade - when shows are played back on all of my DVRs - the shows freeze. DTV stated to me that a software update will happen soon to resolve the issue. That statement was made to me by them on Dec 31st. I noticed the Genie was updated with new Software on 1/9. Previous issues with youtube not working have been resolved however, the freezup on DVR playback remains.

I have two DVRs. My original plus the new Genie. Also, I have a 3rd receiver in the bedroom. The freeze ups happen on all of the devices. Is there a workaround?

Steve

If you are watching a recorded show on your original Dvr that has the program stored on it. (Not recorded on the genie) Do you have any problems with that?

#3 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:18 AM

Press and hold the INFO button and then Run the System Test. If there is something wrong with either your HDD or the Satellite feed, there should be an error code returned.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#4 OFFLINE   Go Beavs

Go Beavs

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,302 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR DMA

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:06 AM

Guys,

Steve

Sounds like a signal problem if it is affecting all your boxes.

Genie, Hx2x, nomad
D* customer since Oct '99

#5 OFFLINE   BAHitman

BAHitman

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 431 posts
  • LocationAustin Texas

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:17 AM

Sounds like a signal problem if it is affecting all your boxes.

I sort of suspect that they changed the LNB to a SWM LNB and that may be the source of the issue if it happens on all of the receivers...

Can this be seen with live TV as well...

How are the signal strenghts on all receivers?

HR34, HR20x3, HR22, HR23, H24, H21

-BAHitman

#6 OFFLINE   Spazzman

Spazzman

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:25 AM

Guys - its not a signal problem because live tv is perfect. It only affects playback of dvr'd shows. DTV told me it had to do with a software update.

#7 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,742 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:32 AM

But if it happens on shows recorded on your old DVR, and being played back locally, then it has nothing to do with the Genie software. Your old DVR is on completely different software.

#8 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:42 AM

Guys - its not a signal problem because live tv is perfect. It only affects playback of dvr'd shows. DTV told me it had to do with a software update.

Did you run the system test? Did it come back clean?
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

spam firewall