Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Confused by college basketball blackouts

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Sandra

Sandra

Legend

• Registered
  • 256 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:39 AM

Last Saturday the BYU - Santa Clara game was being carried on the following:

TWCSN LA
Comcast California
Root Rocky Mountain
Root Northwest

On the TWC and Comcast channels it says the game is not available in my area...but the game IS being shown on the Root channels. I don't get it.

The only variable I can see is that DirecTV has ownership in the Root channels, but I cannot see why they would affect blackouts.

Also, why would the game be blackout out on ANY channel? The game was not on ESPN Full Court, so who were they blacking it out from?

Sandra

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,095 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:55 AM

TWCSN LA
Comcast California
Root Rocky Mountain
Root Northwest

On the TWC and Comcast channels it says the game is not available in my area...but the game IS being shown on the Root channels. I don't get it.

The only variable I can see is that DirecTV has ownership in the Root channels, but I cannot see why they would affect blackouts.

Also, why would the game be blackout out on ANY channel? The game was not on ESPN Full Court, so who were they blacking it out from?

Sandra

CSN and TWCSN are only paying FSN / fox for local rights?

and root is still affiliated with Fox Sports Networks.
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#3 OFFLINE   HGuardian

HGuardian

Godfather

• Registered
  • 429 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:35 PM

TWCSN LA
Comcast California
Root Rocky Mountain
Root Northwest

Sandra

College basketball blackouts on RSNs make the least sense of any. I've noticed what you are talking about many different times. Watching on Root is usually better anyways as they don't have a distracting channel overlay or bottom scorebar always on.

#4 OFFLINE   stevetanneyhill

stevetanneyhill

Mentor

• Registered
  • 52 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:56 PM

I understand that blackouts happen and that they are a result of a complicated mix of contractual provisions with different teams, leagues, networks, etc., but why can't DirecTV just notify viewers in advance if a program is going to be blacked out? The frustration for me is not knowing if a game is going to be blacked out until the second before a game is scheduled to be broadcast. I had Dish years ago (got rid of it in 2008) and they had a simple notification next to each event in the guide if it were scheduled to be blacked out. It was always there at least 24 hours before the broadcast (and often times before that). So you knew that if the blackout symbol wasn't there, and you were subscribed to the channel, that you'd get the event. DirecTV really needs something like this.

#5 OFFLINE   sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork

Icon

• Registered
  • 887 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:17 PM

TWC Sports and CSN own most of the rights to WCC basketball. Possibly since you are out of market those rights have been sold to Root (DirecTV) to be shown on a Nat'l basis.

#6 OFFLINE   dxtrfn80

dxtrfn80

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:06 PM

I understand that blackouts happen and that they are a result of a complicated mix of contractual provisions with different teams, leagues, networks, etc., but why can't DirecTV just notify viewers in advance if a program is going to be blacked out? The frustration for me is not knowing if a game is going to be blacked out until the second before a game is scheduled to be broadcast. I had Dish years ago (got rid of it in 2008) and they had a simple notification next to each event in the guide if it were scheduled to be blacked out. It was always there at least 24 hours before the broadcast (and often times before that). So you knew that if the blackout symbol wasn't there, and you were subscribed to the channel, that you'd get the event. DirecTV really needs something like this.

I was at Radio Shack today and they had Dish Network and it lets you know if a event is blacked out before tuning to it. Had to see the Pac 12 Network and HRTV while tuning to channels. Please DTV add Pac 12 and HRTV.

#7 OFFLINE   HinterXGames

HinterXGames

Godfather

• Registered
  • 313 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:31 AM

It is odd, as college games are not suppose to be affected by blackouts when you have the sports pack, but I have noticed that any games listed on ESPN3.com with a subject to blackout map, will affect RSN's. (had this with a few Uk games this year), so had to go there to watch it. It will also be blacked out on the RSN if it's on your local channel. So i'd always be sure to check those two things also.

#8 OFFLINE   stevetanneyhill

stevetanneyhill

Mentor

• Registered
  • 52 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:52 AM

It is odd, as college games are not suppose to be affected by blackouts when you have the sports pack, but I have noticed that any games listed on ESPN3.com with a subject to blackout map, will affect RSN's. (had this with a few Uk games this year), so had to go there to watch it. It will also be blacked out on the RSN if it's on your local channel. So i'd always be sure to check those two things also.

It's actually a little more complicated than that (believe it or not!). I've been able to tune into some games that are on ESPN3 that are subject to blackout on the map. A simple notification in the program guide would really solve so many problems.

#9 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,019 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:12 PM

I have the sports pack, and I was able to see all of the UK games in HD, but not necessarily on every channel on which they were listed. If you live in an area where the game was available OTA, even if it was on a sub-channel, then it will be blacked out. That only happens to me when UK plays on CBS, and my local CBS station moves it to a sub-channel so they can show an ACC game on the main channel. If you live in an area that gets the Big Blue Network on a sub-channel, though, you will be blacked out on DirecTV, even if you have the sports pack.

#10 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,019 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:18 PM

It's actually a little more complicated than that (believe it or not!). I've been able to tune into some games that are on ESPN3 that are subject to blackout on the map. A simple notification in the program guide would really solve so many problems.

That would be very complicated given the number of channels and the number of games. Often a game is blacked out on one channel but available on a different channel, but which channel is in the clear and which is blacked out changes by zip code. In those cases, the function that searches for the program on another channel has worked very well for me.

#11 OFFLINE   sdk009

sdk009

Icon

• Registered
  • 639 posts
  • LocationStanislaus County Farmland

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:19 PM

Unless a game is on Full Court, I will never understand why any university or conference would want ANY game, football or basketball, blacked out. What better recruiting tool than telling the parents of an athlete that no matter where they live, they will still be able to see their son play.
If I were up against an SEC or ACC school when recruiting an athlete in a region not in those conferences' footprint and I saw a D* dish on the roof, the first thing I would say is, "you won't be able to see your son play if he chooses an ACC or SEC school because those conferences black out games on a regular basis."

#12 OFFLINE   stevetanneyhill

stevetanneyhill

Mentor

• Registered
  • 52 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:06 PM

That would be very complicated given the number of channels and the number of games. Often a game is blacked out on one channel but available on a different channel, but which channel is in the clear and which is blacked out changes by zip code. In those cases, the function that searches for the program on another channel has worked very well for me.

I'm no expert on the technology involved, but I don't see why it would be difficult to implement (considering Dish has been doing it for several years).

#13 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,019 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:40 AM

Unless a game is on Full Court, I will never understand why any university or conference would want ANY game, football or basketball, blacked out. What better recruiting tool than telling the parents of an athlete that no matter where they live, they will still be able to see their son play.
If I were up against an SEC or ACC school when recruiting an athlete in a region not in those conferences' footprint and I saw a D* dish on the roof, the first thing I would say is, "you won't be able to see your son play if he chooses an ACC or SEC school because those conferences black out games on a regular basis."

The problem is that the conferences sold the television rights to the highest bidder, and it is those who hold the rights that set the blackout rules.

That said, the SEC was a bad example. I do not live in an SEC territory, yet I can get every single SEC football game, and every single Kentucky basketball game, including the Blue/White scrimmage and the two pre-season exhibition games. The only time I cannot get a game on DirecTV is if it is the CBS game, and my local CBS channel relegates it to a subchannel. In that case, I can still get the game OTA, but only in SD.

The only time an SEC game is blacked out is if it is shown OTA on a subchannel (or on the main channel in the very few markets that still do not have their locals on DirecTV). That tends to happen only in the SEC territory. It is easy to get the SEC games out of market.

The ACC is a different story. I live in an ACC area, but not all of the ACC games are televised. When they are, they have separate coverage for in-market versus out-of-market. Within market, many of the games are televised by Raycom/Jefferson Pilot. The same games might be shown nationally on ESPN, but the ESPN broadcast is blacked out locally. Wht really upsets me about that agreement is that the Raycom/Jefferson Pilot broadcast is shown by my local CBS channel instead of the CBS broadcast of the SEC game.

The ACC used to have a rule that if any ACC game was shown OTA, all other ACC games that were being played at that time were blacked out (including ESPN Full Court). As far as I know, the ACC was the only conference that did this, and I do not think they do that anymore. That was the one blackout rule I could not understand.

Edited by fleckrj, 18 January 2013 - 10:49 AM.

#14 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,019 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:47 AM

I'm no expert on the technology involved, but I don't see why it would be difficult to implement (considering Dish has been doing it for several years).

But I do not believe that Dish has out-of-market sports channels. The problem for DirecTV is that each channel will have a different blackout rule for each game and each zipcode. For football games on the ESPN package, DIrecTV does show a map of the areas that are blacked out, but the football channels are only used on Saturday, and the maps are up during the week. The basketball channels are used every night, often with multiple games on each channel, so it would be impractical to show a map of the blackouts for the upcoming basketball game.

#15 OFFLINE   HinterXGames

HinterXGames

Godfather

• Registered
  • 313 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:37 PM

Hmm, that makes sense, though I'm not sure why it hadn't happened previously for basketball games, and i've never had a college football game blacked out on an RSN, so just found it odd, but good to know that sub channels may have an affect.

#16 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,101 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:56 PM

What, exactly, have they been doing?
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#17 OFFLINE   stevetanneyhill

stevetanneyhill

Mentor

• Registered
  • 52 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:05 PM

But I do not believe that Dish has out-of-market sports channels. The problem for DirecTV is that each channel will have a different blackout rule for each game and each zipcode. For football games on the ESPN package, DIrecTV does show a map of the areas that are blacked out, but the football channels are only used on Saturday, and the maps are up during the week. The basketball channels are used every night, often with multiple games on each channel, so it would be impractical to show a map of the blackouts for the upcoming basketball game.

Dish does have out of market sports channels. It's called Mulit-Sport (similar to DirecTV's Sports Pack). When you look at the channel guide a little notification tells you (ahead of time) if a program is going to be blacked out. It's VERY helpful. I really wish DirecTV would provide something similar. I understand the blackouts, but the not knowing in advance is really a pain.

#18 OFFLINE   sdk009

sdk009

Icon

• Registered
  • 639 posts
  • LocationStanislaus County Farmland

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:07 PM

The problem is that the conferences sold the television rights to the highest bidder, and it is those who hold the rights that set the blackout rules.

That said, the SEC was a bad example. I do not live in an SEC territory, yet I can get every single SEC football game, and every single Kentucky basketball game, including the Blue/White scrimmage and the two pre-season exhibition games. The only time I cannot get a game on DirecTV is if it is the CBS game, and my local CBS channel relegates it to a subchannel. In that case, I can still get the game OTA, but only in SD.

The only time an SEC game is blacked out is if it is shown OTA on a subchannel (or on the main channel in the very few markets that still do not have their locals on DirecTV). That tends to happen only in the SEC territory. It is easy to get the SEC games out of market.

The ACC is a different story. I live in an ACC area, but not all of the ACC games are televised. When they are, they have separate coverage for in-market versus out-of-market. Within market, many of the games are televised by Raycom/Jefferson Pilot. The same games might be shown nationally on ESPN, but the ESPN broadcast is blacked out locally. Wht really upsets me about that agreement is that the Raycom/Jefferson Pilot broadcast is shown by my local CBS channel instead of the CBS broadcast of the SEC game.

The ACC used to have a rule that if any ACC game was shown OTA, all other ACC games that were being played at that time were blacked out (including ESPN Full Court). As far as I know, the ACC was the only conference that did this, and I do not think they do that anymore. That was the one blackout rule I could not understand.

Here in Northern California, almost all ACC & SEC football games as well as most basketball games that are on RSNs are blacked out. And yes, I am a Sports Pack sub.

#19 OFFLINE   wmb

wmb

Godfather

• Registered
  • 452 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 08:15 AM

The problem for DirecTV is that each channel will have a different blackout rule for each game and each zipcode.

Why would this be the case? Right now, they have the logic in place for the receiver to know whether the game is blacked out or not. They just need to find a way to show that in the guide. Heck, they even have unsubscribed premiums (e.g. HBO, Showtime...) in a subdued font.

#20 OFFLINE   Sandra

Sandra

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 256 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:57 AM

On Saturday the Toledo-Ohio game was on Sportsime Ohio, with Full Court picking up that feed. For some reason the game is blacked out on the Sportstime Ohio channel, so I had to watch the absolutely terrible, fuzzy Sportstime Ohio SD feed on the FC channel.

Jeez...

Sandra

spam firewall