Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR34 pricing as of 01/15/2013

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Reggie3

Reggie3

DBSTalk Club Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 549 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:56 AM

Stuart asked that we start a new thread so here we go

Basement: H21-100 to 60" Sony SXRD

Family Room: HR34 Genie HDMI to 70" Slharp Elite (Feb 22nd, 2013)

Main Bedroom:  HR22-100  to 50" Panasonic Plasma

Loyal DirecTV customer since 1996

20140423_090700_zps7jf13ohp.jpg

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Rickt1962

Rickt1962

Legend

• Registered
  • 296 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:31 PM

Great title ! No price

King Cable Cutter ! XBMC , PLEX , Raspberry Pi   Love my New Boxes :)

Avatars are to protect the Ugly people from scaring others !
Come from the land of Pennsylvania where Cable TV was invented ! Had HBO back in the 70's and total cable bill was $ 12.00 and all TV's got Cable with no extra fee ! Been using satellite since the C-Band Days and Dave and Charlie

#3 OFFLINE   Montezuma58

Montezuma58

AllStar

• Registered
  • 71 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:19 PM

This morning they gave me a price of $349 for one genie and one RVU. Dropped to $249 when I didn't bite. I passed and gave up on negotiating at that point. They were jerking me around prior to discussing pricing at all and I didn't feel like haggling any more.

#4 OFFLINE   korndawg

korndawg

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:40 PM

I was offered it for free but with a $49 install fee. I only have 2 TV's and one DVR (HR24). I'm thinking about taking the upgrade since the HR34 has the PIP feature and that it offers so many streams. However with the HR44 around the corner, do I wait? Is the HR34 on par on performance as the HR24?

#5 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,975 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:46 PM

The HR44 is the greatest thing since sliced bread.
DirecTV: Genie, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/35)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#6 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,911 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:44 PM

But the crux of the problem, if someone doesn't want to pay full lease price, what are the chances, once the 44 goes national, of getting it? At some point, they may have a better chance since more at being made, but at what point are your chances substantially higher?

#7 OFFLINE   pfp

pfp

Whatever

• Registered
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:56 PM

Also consider that today when you order an HD DVR they can't guarantee an HR24 vs an HR20. I'd imagine once the HR44 is released the same will be the case that they cant guarantee an HR44 vs and HR34.
I do, I offer a complete and utter retraction. The imputation was totally without basis in fact, and was in no way fair comment, and was motivated purely by malice, and I deeply regret any distress that my comments may have caused you, or your family, and I hereby undertake not to repeat any such slander at any time in the future.

#8 OFFLINE   Reggie3

Reggie3

DBSTalk Club Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 549 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 06:26 PM

Great title ! No price

I did not have time to post my story - :)

Now I do. Got my install yesterday morning. I had first tired CR Roulette in November and was in the US$300 plus region and no posting on the forum for free were being done. I called last week and my walk away price was US$50. They quoted me US$49 right off the bat and only US$24 install. I took it.

The installer came yesterday morning when it was close to freezing. After looking at everything we went out and looked at the dish. First thing he says is that baby is six years old or more (it was).
Posted Image

He calls and gets me approved for the new slimline with swm. Pulls one out of the truck and installs it. Only needs to use two of the previous four cables. The cables are so cold some of them snap off in his hands - combination of the cold and years in the UV. He then replaces the multiplexer with the SWM unit. I only needed three cables run - one to each room.

Installs the HR34 and finds all the wall outlets I had installed were only for cable systems and not for high frequency of Sat. He replaced all of then and other barrel connectors I had in the system.

He hooked up the HR-22 I had and the H24 and then connected the HR-34 to the internet via the Linksys WUMC710 I had at my AV rack - The HR-34 did not show it would connect to the internet but the H24 did as well as the HR22. I did a bunch of resets on the Linksys router and the cable modem and he did some software updates and boom suddenly it was connected.

Took a full day for the guide to fully load. Love the system. Oh because of the new dish and new components my signal strengths went from the mid to high 80s to mid to high 90s (though I have never had a reception issue)

#9 OFFLINE   Rickt1962

Rickt1962

Legend

• Registered
  • 296 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 06:48 PM

I did not have time to post my story - :)

Now I do. Got my install yesterday morning. I had first tired CR Roulette in November and was in the US$300 plus region and no posting on the forum for free were being done. I called last week and my walk away price was US$50. They quoted me US$49 right off the bat and only US$24 install. I took it.

The installer came yesterday morning when it was close to freezing. After looking at everything we went out and looked at the dish. First thing he says is that baby is six years old or more (it was).
Posted Image

He calls and gets me approved for the new slimline with swm. Pulls one out of the truck and installs it. Only needs to use two of the previous four cables. The cables are so cold some of them snap off in his hands - combination of the cold and years in the UV. He then replaces the multiplexer with the SWM unit. I only needed three cables run - one to each room.

Installs the HR34 and finds all the wall outlets I had installed were only for cable systems and not for high frequency of Sat. He replaced all of then and other barrel connectors I had in the system.

He hooked up the HR-22 I had and the H24 and then connected the HR-34 to the internet via the Linksys WUMC710 I had at my AV rack - The HR-34 did not show it would connect to the internet but the H24 did as well as the HR22. I did a bunch of resets on the Linksys router and the cable modem and he did some software updates and boom suddenly it was connected.

Took a full day for the guide to fully load. Love the system. Oh because of the new dish and new components my signal strengths went from the mid to high 80s to mid to high 90s (though I have never had a reception issue)

Do I see chicken wire ? hmmmm time to move LOL

King Cable Cutter ! XBMC , PLEX , Raspberry Pi   Love my New Boxes :)

Avatars are to protect the Ugly people from scaring others !
Come from the land of Pennsylvania where Cable TV was invented ! Had HBO back in the 70's and total cable bill was $ 12.00 and all TV's got Cable with no extra fee ! Been using satellite since the C-Band Days and Dave and Charlie

#10 OFFLINE   rcw119

rcw119

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:17 PM

I called tonight and got offered $199. The CSR told me to call back in a month and they may do better. I still have a year in March on my current contract. I replaced a DVR with an H25 connected to whole home to my other 2 hddvrs. I have Premier, nomad, etc.

#11 OFFLINE   Montezuma58

Montezuma58

AllStar

• Registered
  • 71 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:54 PM

Some more about my situation now that I'm at the computer instead of a phone so I can type some more. Note: I am an AT&T customer with the services bundled. The rep I talked to was an "AT&T DirecTv" rep. I don't know if this has any bearing on what was offered. I'm not currently under contract and have been a customer for 9 years.

My current set up:
SL3-SWM LNB
1 HR-24
2 HR-22
1 D-12

I want to drop the D-12 in the kids' room and replace it with one of the 22s. I want to drop the other 22 and use a genie/c31 in the master bedroom and living room. And leave the 24 in place with my projector. I'm aware that this would require a SWM-16 and swapping out the LNB.

At first the CSR tried to convince me I didn't need one because I already have the ability to record 6 things at once. Technically true but doesn't stop the wife from complaining when she sits down in the living room to watch something live only to find both tuners busy with cartoons. I told the CSR I still wanted to get one. Then the CSR said I would only be able to get one genie and would have to replace the other receivers with C31s. When she finally allowed me to have some input as to what I actually wanted to do she told me it was not possible. I just told her it was then she finally started to talk about pricing. She started out at $349 for the genie and one c31. She came back with $249. I had about given up on the call before any price discussion so I just decided to bow out for them moment.

#12 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,911 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:58 PM

It is true you can only have one Genie. It is not true that a C31 is required. But, what you basically wanted to do is possible like you said.

#13 OFFLINE   Montezuma58

Montezuma58

AllStar

• Registered
  • 71 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:18 PM

It is true you can only have one Genie. It is not true that a C31 is required. But, what you basically wanted to do is possible like you said.

Looking back I should have gave up on the call and tried later when the rep tried to dissuade me in the first place. It really rubbed me the wrong way when I was told something was impossible when I know better. They could of at least said something like "yes it's possible but it would require equipment that's not part of the standard installation it will cost you extra".

I've called for equipment upgrades before. Sometimes they came up with deal I liked sometimes they didn't. But they've at least gave the impression the were working with me to get what I want. I've never been stonewalled like this before. Oh well, enough venting. I'll just wait a while then spin the CSR roulette wheel another time.

#14 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,911 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:28 PM

Yeah, when I had called to replace my 34, the rep told me that they could not guarantee I'd get the same as a replacement, as it was "functionally equivalent". There are plenty of reps that know what they are talking about, unfortunately not all do.

#15 OFFLINE   Turbe

Turbe

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:43 PM

I called today since a previous premium channel promo was up tomorrow.. offered a 3 Premium Deal with a $5 of each of three Premiums for 12 months which I accepted

I had a previous offer for whole home HD DVR in October 2012, already had one HD DVR from a couple years ago, 4 HD Receivers and 2 SD Receivers from yesteryear..

today, I was offered at no charge, $99 (waived), $49 Pro Install (waived), new HR-34 Genie, two Genie Receivers (Model #C31*) to swap or add new and upgrades to both with SWM installations / dishes (we have a 2nd house on the same property, separate D* installations with two separate 5 lnb Dishes though the Main House and 2nd House are connected via multiple coax and other including one fiber).

This promo does required a new 2-Year commitment (I tried to get around this but failed).. $20/month cancellation fee deducted from $480 total fee

install appointment setup for next week :)

btw: Premium Promo today was HBO, Cinamax and Showtime for $22/mo for 6 Months (includes $5 discount per each Premium) plus an additional $5 credit each month for Auto Pay for 12 months (we have been on Auto Pay since the beginning which is years but they still gave this $5 per month discount)! Total: $20 credit per month.

Still getting HD for 24 Months Free Credit $10
and
Choice XTRA Classic for 12 Months Credit for $10

*I was actually offered 4 of the Model #C31, I declined the two extra and may decline 1 more.

EDIT: I may cancel this equipment order.. may wait for 44 (perhaps is why a deal on the 34???)

Edited by Turbe, 16 January 2013 - 11:19 AM.
asked to remove about 2nd Genie

#16 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:46 AM

The HR44 is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

What am I missing here, only difference I see if the power brick and wireless when compared to the 34

#17 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,911 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:56 AM

Speed, size and quietness.

#18 OFFLINE   Reggie3

Reggie3

DBSTalk Club Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 549 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:25 AM

Do I see chicken wire ? hmmmm time to move LOL

No a dog run - and lots of work being done to remove five trees and a garden that was not planted yet. Also coax that will be run inside the house. But yes a pretty ugly yard.

#19 OFFLINE   Turbe

Turbe

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:21 AM

No a dog run - and lots of work being done to remove five trees and a garden that was not planted yet. Also coax that will be run inside the house. But yes a pretty ugly yard.

I think he means the wire on your deck fence :D

I'm surprised you didn't paint the coax..

#20 OFFLINE   Reggie3

Reggie3

DBSTalk Club Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 549 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:02 PM

I think he means the wire on your deck fence :D

I'm surprised you didn't paint the coax..

Coax will be coming down - Always the plan - Getting quotes now to put all my wiring inside the house. Have to replace all the windows before I paint the house. Colorado weather is too harsh with UV and weather extremes on wood exterior windows (If I had built the house I would have had aluminum clad with e-coating windows, which is next on the list)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...