Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR34 pricing as of 01/15/2013

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   machavez00

machavez00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,644 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Arizona

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:40 PM

After looking at everything we went out and looked at the dish. First thing he says is that baby is six years old or more (it was).

He calls and gets me approved for the new slimline with swm. Pulls one out of the truck and installs it.

I have an AT9 "side car" dish. It sounds like it will be replaced with a SWiMline dish. Too bad, the 5 LNB dishes has access to more channels than the SL3 dishes.

I have an HR20 and an R15 and also want to upgrade to the "Genie" I'm going to upgrade the 27" Sony (R15) to a 39" HDTV. I also have another SD set that is not connected in a guest bedroom. That set has component inputs and can use the 10 pin output.

I've been off contract for 5 years. From the sounds of it, I'll still need to jump through some hoops to get a deal. I have Cox, Dish, and soon CenturyLink (Prism TV), making offers on a monthly basis. I have no plan on leaving for Cox or Dish. CL will have to offer me a smoking 40/20 triple-play deal to drop DirecTV

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:59 PM

Speed, size and quietness.

don;t care about size, hate power bricks
my HR34 is quiet
never noticed a speed problem, but then I am not a sports person that needs to flip between 5 games at a time
Wireless is not a factor don;t need it

So I guess it all boils down to preference and needs

#23 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,501 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:12 PM

Exactly. I don't reboot mine where I need to get it back quickly, quick power blips don't affect me since its on a ups. I use the guide at most a few times a month, never to scroll through it. Might make a bigger difference for others.

As long as they don't start getting exclusive features (like far in advance only for hr44), which won't happen, I'm good.

#24 OFFLINE   Turbe

Turbe

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:29 PM

EDIT: I may cancel this equipment order.. may wait for 44 (perhaps is why a deal on the 34???)

I cancelled the order.. I'm going to wait it out for the 44 and new clients.

#25 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• Registered
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:20 AM

I thought retention always get you a deal when off contract especially when they want you to commit for 2 years, or give you a lot of bill credits

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#26 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:31 AM

I thought retention always get you a deal when off contract especially when they want you to commit for 2 years, or give you a lot of bill credits

Not always, especially due to all the abuse of the system.

#27 OFFLINE   rahlquist

rahlquist

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:44 AM

Can and will are two different things. Its been a few years since the wife worked for D* but I can tell you that the deal you get is in part up to the rep, as evidenced here by the different deals everyone gets offered.

Retention's job is to limit customer churn with the least costly method they can. If they don't see your account as particularly valuable, payment history as good to excellent, and you aren't nice, well, you get what you get.

All the cute signs you see on the internet about attitude affecting price, nothing is more true than that when dealing with D* and trying to get a deal. Being angry argumentative and comparing to a deal you saw X get online are good ways to get a rep to just shut down. No matter what though, the deal you get will be limited by what promotions they have available for the reps in the system, and by what the rep is willing to do for you.

Our last deal of $0 for Genie installed, with new LNB/SWiM16/CCK is the simplest proof these techniques can work.

#28 OFFLINE   Guindalf

Guindalf

Legend

• Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:06 AM

Can and will are two different things. Its been a few years since the wife worked for D* but I can tell you that the deal you get is in part up to the rep, as evidenced here by the different deals everyone gets offered.

Retention's job is to limit customer churn with the least costly method they can. If they don't see your account as particularly valuable, payment history as good to excellent, and you aren't nice, well, you get what you get.

All the cute signs you see on the internet about attitude affecting price, nothing is more true than that when dealing with D* and trying to get a deal. Being angry argumentative and comparing to a deal you saw X get online are good ways to get a rep to just shut down. No matter what though, the deal you get will be limited by what promotions they have available for the reps in the system, and by what the rep is willing to do for you.

Our last deal of $0 for Genie installed, with new LNB/SWiM16/CCK is the simplest proof these techniques can work.

I can confirm that all of the above is true!

A conversation with a CSR last night netted me a $0 upgrade to an HR34/Whole home/Cinema kit upgrade with a $30 bill credit for 12 months!
There is no dark side of the moon really - as a matter of fact, it's all dark

#29 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,509 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:02 PM

hate power bricks

I agree with you when the brick is at the plug, and ends up blocking other outlets. But that's not the case with the HR-44 power cord. The brick is in the middle of the cord. So, I have no problem with it.

To deal with bricks that are at the plug, I've bought a bunch of 1ft extension cords, which allows me to move the bricks away from the outlets on the power strip or UPS.

#30 OFFLINE   O2BRich

O2BRich

Legend

• Registered
  • 175 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:25 PM

What are the monthly charges for a Genie setup.
Do you pay a lease fee for each C-31 like it was a normal receiver etc?

Just wondering if it would pay to replace my 4 DVR's with a HR34 and 3 C-31's.
Bruce
Direc TV Customer since 11/98

HR21-100 via HDMI - 60" Sony Bravia 3
HR20-700 via HDMI - 55" Samsung
HR22-100 via HDMI - 37" Toshiba
HR22-100 via HDMI - 32" Sylvania
Slimline 5, SWiM 8, Whole Home over Ethernet.

#31 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,085 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:27 PM

What are the monthly charges for a Genie setup.
Do you pay a lease fee for each C-31 like it was a normal receiver etc?

Just wondering if it would pay to replace my 4 DVR's with a HR34 and 3 C-31's.

Monthly mirroring/receiver charges are exactly the same $6/month with the first box on the account credited back the $6. So you're paying $18/month now and would still pay that $18/month for the three C31's.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#32 OFFLINE   O2BRich

O2BRich

Legend

• Registered
  • 175 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:15 PM

Monthly mirroring/receiver charges are exactly the same $6/month with the first box on the account credited back the $6. So you're paying $18/month now and would still pay that $18/month for the three C31's.

Bummer:mad:

No reason to upgrade right now then as I get 8 tuners with my current deployment at the same price. :D
Bruce

#33 OFFLINE   tivoreno

tivoreno

AllStar

• Registered
  • 110 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:10 PM

A conversation with a CSR last night netted me a $0 upgrade to an HR34/Whole home/Cinema kit upgrade with a $30 bill credit for 12 months!

Similar conversation yesterday got me HR34/C31/Cinema Kit for $50 with a $20/mo/12mo credit. Installation is tomorrow.

Question: I am currently paying the whole home DVR $3 fee. Will that continue with Genie?

#34 OFFLINE   rahlquist

rahlquist

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:19 PM

Similar conversation yesterday got me HR34/C31/Cinema Kit for $50 with a $20/mo/12mo credit. Installation is tomorrow.

Question: I am currently paying the whole home DVR $3 fee. Will that continue with Genie?

Yes as long as you are keeping whole home.

#35 OFFLINE   rahlquist

rahlquist

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:21 PM

Bummer:mad:

No reason to upgrade right now then as I get 8 tuners with my current deployment at the same price. :D

Depends how you look at it. For $0 I got rid of an R16 and went from 6 usable tuners in the house to 9. The only cost increase was to add whole home $3/mo because I hadnt been running it before.

#36 OFFLINE   O2BRich

O2BRich

Legend

• Registered
  • 175 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:41 AM

Depends how you look at it. For $0 I got rid of an R16 and went from 6 usable tuners in the house to 9. The only cost increase was to add whole home $3/mo because I hadnt been running it before.

Hmmmm. Good point :sure:
Bruce

#37 OFFLINE   pfp

pfp

Whatever

• Registered
  • 1,557 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:04 AM

HDDVR, with 2 tuners and additional storage space - $6/mo
RVU clinet - $6/mo

Why go with the RVU client?
I do, I offer a complete and utter retraction. The imputation was totally without basis in fact, and was in no way fair comment, and was motivated purely by malice, and I deeply regret any distress that my comments may have caused you, or your family, and I hereby undertake not to repeat any such slander at any time in the future.

#38 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,501 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:49 AM

Small box, no hard drive clatter, yet can still trickplay.

#39 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,085 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:30 PM

Other reasons, less power draw, CID if phone line connected to HR34, access to AM21/OTA channels if connected to HR34, Genie recommendations, centralized ToDo/Series Link management are a few that come to my mind.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#40 OFFLINE   cnr1089

cnr1089

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:38 PM

I am at such a loss on what I am going to do. I have been looking at the Hopper ever since CES and it is starting to look real interesting. I have been a DTV customer for 10 years and have been off contract for 4-5 years. I was thinking of the HR44, but not sure I can wait, the Hopper does look pretty nice (and we record 70% of our stuff from local channels).

Anyway, I called to cancel, and they offered me Genie+C31 for $49 plus $20 off my bill for the next year. To me, getting a HR34, with the HR44 around the corner seems like a waste, and the some of the concepts of the hopper are pretty neat. The Dish interface, however, kind of rubs me the right way.

I am not fishing here, I really am at a standstill (I called Direct tv to really cancel, or at least have them try and make me pay $300 for the Genie, in which case I would have had no problem going to Dish)....

Protected By... spam firewall...And...