Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR34 pricing as of 01/15/2013

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,288 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:41 PM

I am at such a loss on what I am going to do. I have been looking at the Hopper ever since CES and it is starting to look real interesting. I have been a DTV customer for 10 years and have been off contract for 4-5 years. I was thinking of the HR44, but not sure I can wait, the Hopper does look pretty nice (and we record 70% of our stuff from local channels).

Anyway, I called to cancel, and they offered me Genie+C31 for $49 plus $20 off my bill for the next year. To me, getting a HR34, with the HR44 around the corner seems like a waste, and the some of the concepts of the hopper are pretty neat. The Dish interface, however, kind of rubs me the right way.

I am not fishing here, I really am at a standstill (I called Direct tv to really cancel, or at least have them try and make me pay $300 for the Genie, in which case I would have had no problem going to Dish)....

I guess the Hopper is for some people. I like having 5 tuners at my discretion and not someone elses. Not to mention isnt there a cap on how long the local channels recordings are available as well? Seems like a waste of a 2TB drive if they are gonna limit those local recordings. The HR44 is not going to be that much different to justify not get a HR34. In no way shape or form would I jump ship. What else would you gain? Are there HD channels Dish has that you want or would you save money? If so great. If not, you might reconsider.
Directv & Sunday Ticket Sub Since 8/19/2008
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   shaneman

shaneman

Mentor

• Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:48 PM

Just got off the phone. Upgraded my HR20-700 to HR34. 100% free, no begging, no pleading, no threatening to leave. I was out of contract. Been with DTV 10+ years. No recent discounts. Easy!

#43 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,785 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:54 PM

crn1089, IMHO unless you're spending your time in the guide and playlist vs. watching programming the HR34 is fine. Even then the HR34's speed is just a tad slower then the HR24 at times, other times it's faster. So DIRECTV's willing to basicvally give you a HR34+C31 and $191 dollars in credits sounds like a good deal to me.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#44 OFFLINE   cnr1089

cnr1089

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:03 PM

Ok, so they are trying to get me to keep my current DVRs, and for me, I like the idea of a single point for all my recordings, other then “more tuners” (and my opinion, less centralization), why should I keep my old DVRs instead of getting a C31 for my two other TVs (I have 2 DVRs, I am going to replace with 1 Genie, 2 C31s, because I am going to add a tv)? I realize this is a debate here, but just trying to understand.

Your right though, I prefer Direct TV, since I am not paying much out of pocket to upgrade, why not....The CSR seemed to imply that I was downgrading by replacing my DVRs (and she tried to convince me I could set up recordings in a centralized fashion from my current DVRs, I cannot)....

The whole built-in sling sounds nice though (I work from home, and to stream to my iPad sounds nice). The CSR said that I would get that with the Cinema Connection kit, which is required for the Genie, can I really access (in real time) live and recorded stuff from my iPad?

#45 OFFLINE   Red Orc

Red Orc

Legend

• Registered
  • 210 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:11 PM

I asked a couple of weeks ago and I was told $300.

#46 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,785 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:22 PM

Ok, so they are trying to get me to keep my current DVRs, and for me, I like the idea of a single point for all my recordings, other then “more tuners” (and my opinion, less centralization), why should I keep my old DVRs instead of getting a C31 for my two other TVs (I have 2 DVRs, I am going to replace with 1 Genie, 2 C31s, because I am going to add a tv)? I realize this is a debate here, but just trying to understand.

Your right though, I prefer Direct TV, since I am not paying much out of pocket to upgrade, why not....The CSR seemed to imply that I was downgrading by replacing my DVRs (and she tried to convince me I could set up recordings in a centralized fashion from my current DVRs, I cannot)....

The whole built-in sling sounds nice though (I work from home, and to stream to my iPad sounds nice). The CSR said that I would get that with the Cinema Connection kit, which is required for the Genie, can I really access (in real time) live and recorded stuff from my iPad?

If you can handle managing all your series links now spread out then why not keep the two existing DVR's. If one of these locations is a bedroom I'd consider the C31 mainly because it's silent.

As for streaming don't forget that DIRECTV does stream a bunch of channels now using your Internet connection. If you want Sling you can always get one and connect it to a DIRECTV receiver. Remember if you go with the Hopper that when streaming a live channel that takes one of the three tuners in the box.

#47 OFFLINE   cnr1089

cnr1089

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:29 PM

If you can handle managing all your series links now spread out then why not keep the two existing DVR's. If one of these locations is a bedroom I'd consider the C31 mainly because it's silent.

As for streaming don't forget that DIRECTV does stream a bunch of channels now using your Internet connection. If you want Sling you can always get one and connect it to a DIRECTV receiver. Remember if you go with the Hopper that when streaming a live channel that takes one of the three tuners in the box.

The whole reason I want the Genie is to not have to manage between multiple DVRs. I hate doing that now with our two DVRs. The next advantage is we are adding a 3rd TV (which we also don’t want to have to manage).

Oh, the CSR was trying to convince me to keep a non DVR (non C31) as one of my clients, as it can have its own live buffer. Is there any downside of that when connected to a Genie?

#48 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,785 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:15 PM

The whole reason I want the Genie is to not have to manage between multiple DVRs. I hate doing that now with our two DVRs. The next advantage is we are adding a 3rd TV (which we also don’t want to have to manage).

Oh, the CSR was trying to convince me to keep a non DVR (non C31) as one of my clients, as it can have its own live buffer. Is there any downside of that when connected to a Genie?

If you're used to how WHDVR works now there is no change with a HR34 in the mix.

#49 OFFLINE   cnr1089

cnr1089

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:38 PM

If you're used to how WHDVR works now there is no change with a HR34 in the mix.

Your right, right now I have "Whole Home" now, but a unified recording list with a pool of tuners is a big difference in the way we record shows. Now we balance between 2 dvrs, have conflicts upstairs, run downstairs and schedule (we can schedule from our phones, but have no control over priority, etc).

#50 ONLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,899 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:46 PM

I switched to a 34 and receiver partly for the same reason. I generally had various channels assigned to a DVR, but like not having to deal with that.

#51 OFFLINE   brett_the_bomb

brett_the_bomb

Legend

• Registered
  • 175 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:15 PM

Your right, right now I have "Whole Home" now, but a unified recording list with a pool of tuners is a big difference in the way we record shows. Now we balance between 2 dvrs, have conflicts upstairs, run downstairs and schedule (we can schedule from our phones, but have no control over priority, etc).

I've never had this problem, but now that you describe the issue I can understand not loving that lol. I would think that "it depends" is way to look at it. I would think having redundancy via multiple dvrs, that way you don't have a single point of failure. Even if you don't record with your current dvrs, you don't have to start over with your playlists and it wouldn't tie up a genie tuner when your on live TV. In general my view is at worst if you left your dvrs in you could do every thing you can with clients and more if you want. But c31s are small. Great kitchen or behind TV receiver. Good luck choosing!
My setup: 3x HR 23-700, 1x HR 24, 1x HR34, 4x C31's, WiFi CCK. Nomad...

#52 OFFLINE   patmurphey

patmurphey

Godfather

• Registered
  • 509 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:19 AM

I guess the Hopper is for some people. I like having 5 tuners at my discretion and not someone elses. Not to mention isnt there a cap on how long the local channels recordings are available as well? Seems like a waste of a 2TB drive if they are gonna limit those local recordings...

That is incorrect information. Prime Time Anytime is optional, as are channels and days it uses. If it is used the recordings are kept in part of the 1.25TB user space for 8 days (optionally less), but any recording or series can be "saved" or pre-set to be saved until deleted. If PTAT is enabled then all of the PTAT channels are available 24/7 for viewing with just one of the three tuners. Any of us that need more tuners can have second (leased) Hopper or a third (purchased). All recordings are viewable on any Hopper or Joey.

#53 ONLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,899 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:38 AM

I wouldn't say the channels it uses is optional, it's either on or off. I agree that it's a good option for some, but for me, I like having discrete tuners without having to have a separate box, and without being required to use a C31 instead of my H25, which is essentially what Dish does.

#54 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,211 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:46 AM

Uh, 'on' or 'off' is the two options, hence it is 'optional'! :)

For me the PTAT is a really good thing. When I switched over to Dish this past week, I only needed to turn PTAT on and instantly I had 1/2 my series timers taken care of. And with the other channels I'm finding no more and maybe even slightly less channel/timer contentions.

Depending on what you watch PTAT is either really great or just ho-hum!

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#55 ONLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,899 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:13 PM

He said PTAT is optional, as is the channels it uses. I have never heard of you being able to activate just Fox and CBS PTAT. It picks up everything on the transponder doesn't it?

#56 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,211 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:32 PM

Yes,you can select which of the ones available that you want to record, which days of the week, and how long to keep them within some limits.

The only thing you can't change is the hours that it does recordings. But other than just not wanting something recorded, there is no downside to recording them all as it only uses one tuner.

Lloyd

#57 ONLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,899 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:39 PM

Ok, I thought it was just on or off.

#58 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,211 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:43 PM

I think it was when the Hopper first came out.

IMO the consideration between Hopper and Genie comes down to how handy PTAT is for an individual. Well, that and which service has the most of what you want of course.

Lloyd

#59 OFFLINE   Guindalf

Guindalf

Legend

• Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:24 AM

I was looking at the Hopper, but I dislike the fact that they say you can record six shows at once, but they don't tell you that only two of them can be on cable channels! I find that misleading.

I got a Genie last Saturday and I have five independent tuners that can record whatever I choose - AND I'm not waiting for the results of lawsuits!!
There is no dark side of the moon really - as a matter of fact, it's all dark

#60 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,211 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:30 AM

I'm not waiting for the results of lawsuits either and I have Dish! One side or the other will 'win', or they'll come to some agreement. And the current lawsuit only affects the Autohop function, not PTAT itself.

Dish does in fact tell you how the Hopper and PTAT works, but just like D* all things are not explained in ads on TV and in the paper. That's not the function of ads.

One thing that is very nice about PTAT is if it is enabled, then at any time during the day if you are tuned to one of the PTAT channels, then the other boxes can view any of those 4 channels without using another tuner. Effectively giving you access to 4 broadcast channels and 2 other channels with just 3 tuners used.

But again if the big 4 broadcast channels are not what you watch quite a bit, then the Hopper isn't as good as the Genie. In my case, my series link count dropped by half when I switched because of PTAT.

Lloyd

spam firewall