Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR34 pricing as of 01/15/2013

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:55 AM

I was looking at the Hopper, but I dislike the fact that they say you can record six shows at once, but they don't tell you that only two of them can be on cable channels! I find that misleading.

I got a Genie last Saturday and I have five independent tuners that can record whatever I choose - AND I'm not waiting for the results of lawsuits!!

I wouldn't go near the Hopper or Dish. You never know what technology they will steal next or lose in a lawsuit they have brought upon themselves. It's an ethically and morally bankrupt company.
DTV = Digital Television

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:36 PM

I think it was when the Hopper first came out.

IMO the consideration between Hopper and Genie comes down to how handy PTAT is for an individual. Well, that and which service has the most of what you want of course.

I would actually like PTAT, but the difference between Hopper and Genie for me is NFLST and NHLCI HD channels.
HR34-700, HR22-100

#63 OFFLINE   jjn

jjn

Mentor

• Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:10 PM

Current system is;

2 HR24-500's
1 H24-100
SWM 5 lnb Dish W/Built in Mulitswitch
Whole Home over Ethernet

Called today (cancel, cancel) to see about upgrading the H24 to a DVR because it doesn’t do Pandora. CSR informed me that is was available on the H24, had her check to be sure, she came back and confirmed that is was not. At this point I knew I was in trouble.

Then asked about the cost to upgrade to a DVR, first quote was $99 + $49 install, I said that was more than I wanted to spend. Plus no guarantee what DVR I would get!

Then asked about the new Genie and she said it didn’t do Pandora, not looking good at this point. Had her check again and she said yes it does, there must have been an upgrade, so $250 + $49 install for that. Still said that was to much.

Final offer was no cost for a DVR (self install) but no guarantee what DVR I would get.
Or $99, including install, for a Genie, I said that was to much and asked if there was something better she could do since we have been a customer since 1997. That was it, she could not do any better.

Didn’t even get into the need to replace the existing lnb with a 4 wire lnb and adding a SWM 16 mulitswitch (9 turners total).

Thanked her for her time and said I would have to think about it.
Looks like I’ll be calling again in a couple of days.

#64 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,824 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:20 PM

$99 for a Genie installed is a great deal. That would most likely include a SWiM-16 and necessary accessories.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#65 OFFLINE   jjn

jjn

Mentor

• Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:53 PM

It does but the CSR was, how should I put it, didn't know what she was talking about.
I'll call back and hope I get a CSR that knows what the boxes can and can't do.

#66 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• Registered
  • 1,860 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:51 PM

It does but the CSR was, how should I put it, didn't know what she was talking about.
I'll call back and hope I get a CSR that knows what the boxes can and can't do.

As dennisj said they include that on the install of the Genie, but you got to sometimes remind them of your current setup before they put a note for the installer

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#67 OFFLINE   west99999

west99999

Icon

• Registered
  • 934 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:27 PM

As dennisj said they include that on the install of the Genie, but you got to sometimes remind them of your current setup before they put a note for the installer

The note means nothing to a technician. Most notes mention dogs and cats but nothing of the parts needed. :lol: The work order would generate all the equipment needed for the install and nothing else would get installed despite some silly note.

#68 OFFLINE   jjn

jjn

Mentor

• Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:01 PM

So I just got off the phone with DTV and they are going to drop ship a Genie for $53.04.
Tried to explain that I was keeping the 2 HR24-500’s and replacing the H24-100 with the Genie (total of 9 turners). CSR said it would work with our existing system and my monthly bill stays the same, plus got Showtime for 6 months free. Let you know what happens.

#69 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,171 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:15 PM

Current system is;
2 HR24-500's
1 H24-100
SWM 5 lnb Dish W/Built in Mulitswitch
Whole Home over Ethernet

CSR said it would work with our existing system

Sorry, but the CSR was incorrect. If you have the Genie (5 tuners) plus two HR24's (2 tuners each) you have 9 tuners. Your current dish can only support a maximum of 8 tuners.

Either you need a new LNB plus an SWM16, OR you need to limit one of your HR24's to only using one tuner (which you can do in satellite setup).

#70 OFFLINE   jjn

jjn

Mentor

• Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:03 PM

Yes thats right, I tried to explain that to the CSR but they said it would work.
Need a new LNB, SWM16 and another line from the SWM16 to the power inserter.

#71 OFFLINE   Lisn2me

Lisn2me

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:18 PM

Just called to see if I could upgrade to a Genie receiver and best prices was $249, my contract is not up until November so maybe as it gets closer I can get that down.

Side note the rep did say the HR44 droped two days and installers should have them now.

#72 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,824 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:25 PM

Yes thats right, I tried to explain that to the CSR but they said it would work.
Need a new LNB, SWM16 and another line from the SWM16 to the power inserter.

You don't necessarily need another line for the PI. You can power it with the #1 output - just be sure it's connected via the power passing port of each splitter back to the 16.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#73 OFFLINE   jjn

jjn

Mentor

• Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:07 PM

Thanks dennisj00, I was using this diagram http://manuals.solid...-Install-LR.pdf for what would be needed.
With our existing setup 9 turners will not work, need a SWM-16 installed, don't know why they said the existing setup would work, but they are drop shipping the HR34 without a proper install.
I don't want to turn off one of the turners on the HR24 which would give us 8 total.
Let ya know what happens once the HR34 is installed.
I'm sure there will be a 776 error code "Too many receivers or tuners are connected to the SWiM. Test with SWiM meter and upgrade to SWiM 16 if necessary"

#74 OFFLINE   ctxx24

ctxx24

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 09:45 AM

I just got the genie shipped with 2 clients for 50...i have to hook it up tho... Being I already have whole home and sending my hr22 back do I just hook this up the same way the others are?

#75 OFFLINE   Guindalf

Guindalf

Legend

• Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:03 AM

Yes.
There is no dark side of the moon really - as a matter of fact, it's all dark

#76 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,912 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:27 PM

I just got the genie shipped with 2 clients for 50...i have to hook it up tho... Being I already have whole home and sending my hr22 back do I just hook this up the same way the others are?

How are all your units set up right now? What all do you have today?

#77 OFFLINE   slo_dave

slo_dave

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 03:25 PM

Just got off the phone..

Off contract
perfect payment history (autopay)
3+year customer
no recent offers/discounts taken

Best I could do was:

Genie: $ 418 installed :lol:
HD-DVR: $118 plus shipping :lol:

all of which would extend me for two years..

Said no thanks

#78 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 03:48 PM

Just got off the phone..

Off contract
perfect payment history (autopay)
3+year customer
no recent offers/discounts taken

Best I could do was:

Genie: $ 418 installed :lol:
HD-DVR: $118 plus shipping :lol:

all of which would extend me for two years..

Said no thanks

They must have heard you were slo Dave and thought they could pull that off. ;) Try again and if you get the same results, tell the front line CSR that you are thinking of cancelling. Then they will send you to retention. Tell them you really don't want to leave, but Dish will give you a free Hopper and they want $418. And if DIRECTV could give me a free Genie, I would rather stay. Then see what they say.

Edited by RACJ2, 02 March 2013 - 10:39 AM.

HR34-700, HR22-100

#79 OFFLINE   ctxx24

ctxx24

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 09:36 PM

I just have the hr22 in the living room and 2 small boxes in the 2 bedrooms it's the whole home set up.. I don't know anymore then that.. don't know much about setting this stuff up.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...