Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

ASK DBSTalk: How do you set up a Timer for 921 OTA?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ibglowin

ibglowin

Godfather/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,424 posts

Posted 27 January 2004 - 09:26 AM

OK,

We aren't going to be home for Super Sunday. I get CBS OTA in HD. How can I set up a manual timer to start and stop on Sunday?

I have seen post about doing this but last night I went to try this and all I could pull up was a screen in the PVR section that would let me do a manual STOP but no way to change it to start and stop at some future time.

I even went in and set a timer to record the same station only from my Dish local channel 8814 becasue I heard you could then switch it somehow over to the OTA tuner from Sat tuner to record but I could not see a way to change the tuner from SAT to OTA.

Help, what am I missing here??? :confused:

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   Jerry G

Jerry G

Icon

• Registered
  • 812 posts

Posted 27 January 2004 - 10:24 AM

Bring up main menu. Then select Timers (7, I think). Select Create. The OTA channels are listed at the end of the channel list. Select your OTA channel. I set the minutes before and after to zero. Then select the Set Time/Date button. Set up you start time, end time, and date. Exit that screen. That's it. If you want to check it, bring up the Timer screen again or the PVR screen.

#3 OFFLINE   ibglowin

ibglowin

Godfather/Supporter

• Topic Starter
  • Gold Members
  • 1,424 posts

Posted 27 January 2004 - 10:27 AM

Bring up main menu. Then select Timers (7, I think). Select Create. The OTA channels are listed at the end of the channel list. Select your OTA channel. I set the minutes before and after to zero. Then select the Set Time/Date button. Set up you start time, end time, and date. Exit that screen. That's it. If you want to check it, bring up the Timer screen again or the PVR screen.

You da man!

Thank you! :P

#4 OFFLINE   DonLandis

DonLandis

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,363 posts

Posted 27 January 2004 - 10:58 AM

One thing I discovered this morning is if your 921 reboots, it may lose signal on that channel. 7 out of 9 channels here lose signal. 2 don't. Don't know why those two are stable but my CBS channel is one that gets lost after a reboot and I need to manually add it back again.

#5 OFFLINE   ibglowin

ibglowin

Godfather/Supporter

• Topic Starter
  • Gold Members
  • 1,424 posts

Posted 27 January 2004 - 11:07 AM

I seem to be loosing OTA channels as well after doing a hard reboot. Have to add them back in (not the call letters, just alow to lock on the channel and save) and all is well.......

#6 OFFLINE   DonLandis

DonLandis

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,363 posts

Posted 27 January 2004 - 01:34 PM

When you add those channels back after the reboot, do you see multiple instances of them in the manual timer selection list? I do here. They keep adding and adding. How do I get rid of the replicas in that list? I only have the correct number in the guide because there I can delete the old ones first before adding new ones that work. Wish they would get this fixed!

#7 OFFLINE   ibglowin

ibglowin

Godfather/Supporter

• Topic Starter
  • Gold Members
  • 1,424 posts

Posted 27 January 2004 - 01:40 PM

Just went home at lunch and set up a manual timer for OTA for this PM to test this out. I did see multiple entry's for some of the OTA in this guide! I suppose this is due to not deleting each time you have to re-enter OTA. I had several cases of duplicate and triplicate channels. I guess I should go in and delete these from the add locals menu.

#8 OFFLINE   mcowher

mcowher

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 27 January 2004 - 02:16 PM

When you add those channels back after the reboot, do you see multiple instances of them in the manual timer selection list? I do here. They keep adding and adding. How do I get rid of the replicas in that list? I only have the correct number in the guide because there I can delete the old ones first before adding new ones that work. Wish they would get this fixed!

I have the multiple channels issue as well! They only show up in the channel selection for Timer events.

#9 OFFLINE   Ronald K

Ronald K

AllStar

• Registered
  • 52 posts

Posted 27 January 2004 - 02:40 PM

I have noticed that if you leave your 921 on a sat channel, when the timer kicks in it will significantly increase my chances of getting a good OTA recording.

#10 OFFLINE   CAL7

CAL7

Legend

• Registered
  • 124 posts

Posted 27 January 2004 - 03:32 PM

When setting the OTA channel number, is there a shortcut to get to the end of the channel list? I think on my 501, I could just hit the NUMBER-SELECT and it jumped to that channel on the list. My 921 jumps out of the timer menu and goes live to the channel I enter.

#11 OFFLINE   Bogney

Bogney

Legend

• Registered
  • 160 posts

Posted 27 January 2004 - 04:20 PM

When setting the OTA channel number, is there a shortcut to get to the end of the channel list?

Enter 9999 and you will be at the start of the OTA channels.

#12 OFFLINE   ibglowin

ibglowin

Godfather/Supporter

• Topic Starter
  • Gold Members
  • 1,424 posts

Posted 27 January 2004 - 08:45 PM

Well it worked! I even left it on a different DTV channel to make it switch and it recorded perfectly. Look out Super Bowl.

BTW: on a side note, I deleted ALL my DTV channels and then did a rescan and saved. When I went back into the manual timers screen and scrolled down to the OTA stations I still had duplicate channel listing! Anybody know how to clear out the duplicates and what happens if you pick one or the other?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...