Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Continuum - time jumping for real

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,624 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:55 PM

Continuum is supposed to be about a female cop ("protector") from 2077 that jumps back in time to 2012. OK.

But the show itself seems to have experienced its own time jump; Syfy is positioning the show as a brand new show. New to them, maybe, but not only did this show apparently jump all the way from Canada, it also jumped from 2012 to 2013. IOW, it appears this show is not really "new" as the first 10 eps are clearly marked in epguides as if they aired beginning last May. Not only that, the DTV GUI reports equivalent original air dates for this week's and next week's ep.

NBC used to say "if its new to you, it's new to you", or something about that inane when puffing up Seinfeld eps in the summer a decade and a half ago. This is no less stupid. There is something to be said for full disclosure, but I don't really care whether they are pulling the wool here or not, just that they bring us a good show.

Well, that boat has sailed. Maybe Syfy was less than forthcoming regarding this show's genesis because they are so embarassed by it, and think "new show" badging will somehow automagically wash the stink off of crapola production and writing in what is really a second-hand hand-me-down from the Klondike.

It used to be that you could tell a Canadian import by its hokey amateurish production and casts of unknowns. It was a little like triple-A ball for producers; they could hone their craft up north and then try for the big leagues in LA. That line blurred a lot with quality shows like Rookie Blue and Flashpoint, which are better than a lot of Hollywood fare.

But Continuum is a throwback, with 1990's hokum aplenty and a storyline that makes little sense even if you suspend disbelief and accept the time travel dilemma. The level of cleverity here never seems to rise above "running gun battle" (ho hum). It may have one of the most stunning creatures ever to walk the planet as its lead, but she has been much better in Alias, Criminal Minds, and a couple of others that I can't quite recall at the moment (Injustice?). Always a hot-babe fave, I always looked forward to Rachel Nichols in anything, and was always happy to cut her a break on average acting chops. After all, she's not there because she's Olivier, she's there for the exact reason we all imagine.

But maybe those more-expensive shows had better directors and could coach her into a role more effectively. Here, she seems to be completely single minded with a cardboard cut-out personality that makes her anything but interesting. Too bad; she's pretty fine. Maybe I'll just watch this one with the sound off.
It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,889 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:05 PM

The air dates are the original Canadian air dates. You know SyFy does this if you've read any of the other threads in here on shows that originated in a different country then aired on SyFy.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#3 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,025 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:32 PM

Yep, loved the pilot, it's a keeper. Has gotten excellent reviews.
DirecTV: Genie, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/35)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#4 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,889 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:15 PM

I enjoyed it as well.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#5 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,173 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:05 PM

i enjoyed it too, I did notice the date discrepancy but just adjusted my SL to both and problem solved
My Setup

#6 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,267 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:28 PM

Yup. Enjoyed it as well. As for the OAD, as mentioned, that's how SyFy has always done it with regard to series that aired in other countries first. IFC does it as well with 13 and The Audience Network does it as well.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#7 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,889 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:26 AM

Yup. Enjoyed it as well. As for the OAD, as mentioned, that's how SyFy has always done it with regard to series that aired in other countries first. IFC does it as well with 13 and The Audience Network does it as well.

It makes total sense to me to use that date. After all it's called "Original Air Date" not "Original U.S. Air Date".
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#8 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,267 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:32 AM

It makes total sense to me to use that date. After all it's called "Original Air Date" not "Original U.S. Air Date".

+1

Of course, it would be nice if the guide data could use the First Run flag correctly in combination with DirecTV's algorithm for recording first run shows so that you didn't need to update your SL to record First Run and Repeats. :)

- Merg

#9 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,889 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:56 AM

Of course, it would be nice if the guide data could use the First Run flag correctly in combination with DirecTV's algorithm for recording first run shows so that you didn't need to update your SL to record First Run and Repeats. :)

Agreed!
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#10 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,156 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:00 AM

It's not just other countries, SyFy says they have all new episodes of Fringe too.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#11 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,047 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:31 PM

Watching the first episode as I post this. So the Big Business Dictatorship are the good guys and the Democratic Rebels are evil. With a plot like that, I don't see this show lasting very long.
DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR24-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#12 OFFLINE   Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 511 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:50 PM

I have to agree with this. I asked myself, just WHO exactly, are the good guys, and who are the bad guys? There is no one to really support.

It almost looks like the cigarette smoking man from X-Files is going to be a good guy in this series. :) (Yeah, I know, Wm. B. Davis). Does he actually REMEMBER the girl from so many years ago? That would tell us a lot about how time travel works in "this universe".
Luke

Sagaciously eschew obfuscating sesquipedalianisms.

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.--from Joan of Arcadia

#13 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,267 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:53 PM

Watching the first episode as I post this. So the Big Business Dictatorship are the good guys and the Democratic Rebels are evil. With a plot like that, I don't see this show lasting very long.

I think the fact that the rebels don't care about civilian casualties is what is supposed to make them evil. The attack they did to take out the board killed thousands of normal citizens.

- Merg

#14 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:22 PM

Rachel Nichols has always been a fav of mine, glad to see her back...it was interesting, we'll have to see where it goes....

Isn't Lost Girl the same where its a Canadian transport and shown there 1st as well?

#15 ONLINE   lugnutathome

lugnutathome

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,754 posts
  • LocationWoodburn, OR

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:53 PM

So far this new show is intriguing time will tell but so far I'm eagerly awaiting episode two.

Indeed. Lost Girl has the same issue though I've forgotten if it picks up as "new" or in fact requires I flag "both" Going to have to check on that stuff.

Don "In addition the obvious draw to Lost Girl, Kensi's quips are priceless" Bolton

Rachel Nichols has always been a fav of mine, glad to see her back...it was interesting, we'll have to see where it goes....

Isn't Lost Girl the same where its a Canadian transport and shown there 1st as well?

What's a dazzling urbanite like you doing in a rustic setting like this?

#16 OFFLINE   RASCAL01

RASCAL01

Godfather

• Registered
  • 297 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:06 PM

Both come up as new for Dish :)
RASCAL01
DISH 622, Hopper, Hopper2, Joey
TOSHIBA REGZA 55 LED/LCD 24O HZ
SONY AV 5.1 SOUROUND SOUND
SONY 3D BLUE RAY PLAYER

#17 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,267 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:36 PM

Both come up as new for Dish :)

They come up as new for DirecTV, but do you set your SL for First Run or Repeats for recording them? The Guide Data implies that it is not a First Run (even though for us here in the U.S. it is).

- Merg

#18 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,268 posts
  • LocationNear Houston, TX

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:03 PM

Setting the Dish timer for 'New Episodes' picks up Continuum.

#19 OFFLINE   RASCAL01

RASCAL01

Godfather

• Registered
  • 297 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:15 PM

They come up as new for DirecTV, but do you set your SL for First Run or Repeats for recording them? The Guide Data implies that it is not a First Run (even though for us here in the U.S. it is).

- Merg

Only set up for new episodes.
RASCAL01
DISH 622, Hopper, Hopper2, Joey
TOSHIBA REGZA 55 LED/LCD 24O HZ
SONY AV 5.1 SOUROUND SOUND
SONY 3D BLUE RAY PLAYER

#20 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,910 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:06 PM

I like the first episode nd looking forward to the rest of the series.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...