Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Continuum - time jumping for real

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:26 PM

I think it's a cool show although a somewhat unbelievable premise which has been done countless times in the past (terminator, etc.). I wonder when they are going to get around to the theory that if a time traveler does something in the past to change the future everything blows up.

Meanwhile, I also wonder how long the protector is going to cry about not seeing her kid & husband anymore and take up with her hunky new partner...

This will probably take 3 or 4 seasons like Castle.

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,568 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:49 PM

The producers are on record as saying that this just isn't going to happen.

I thought about this show in comparison to the other 20 shows I am watching, and each of the other 20 is clearly superior, so I guess this is where I draw the line. I'm clearly in the minority it appears, as I am shocked by how many here actually like this drivel.

No worries; you're allowed. Vanilla and chocolate, and all that. I guess somebody likes it; it's already renewed in Canada. Here Comes Honey Boo Boo also has its audience, so there is room for all.

Also, I should go on record as saying that it was no surprise that a Canadian import is branded as "new", this obviously happens all the time, and I don't need that pointed out to me. But it is still an insult to our intelligence. That can be overlooked if you like the show. I really don't (second ep was a little better, with its "high point" being, guess what, yet another ham-handedly choreographed running gun battle), so I can't overlook that. I'm out.

Edited by TomCat, 23 January 2013 - 01:56 PM.

It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#23 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,272 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:36 PM

The use of "new" is not an absolute, it is situational, circumstantial and subjective. The laundry soap, "Tide" is a good example. The makers of Tide use it quite regularly as an attention-getter, even if only the package graphics have changed.

Like many other consumer products, the adjective 'NEW" on a package doesn't necessarily mean the product is actually new. It is the same with descriptions of tv shows. If a show is new to a country, DMA or market, then use of the word 'new' is justified and appropriate.

Personally, as far as I'm concerned, any show that I haven't seen is 'new' to me. ;)

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#24 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,568 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:50 PM

The use of "new" is not an absolute, it is situational, circumstantial and subjective. The laundry soap, "Tide" is a good example. The makers of Tide use it quite regularly as an attention-getter, even if only the package graphics have changed.

Like many other consumer products, the adjective 'NEW" on a package doesn't necessarily mean the product is actually new. It is the same with descriptions of tv shows. If a show is new to a country, DMA or market, then use of the word 'new' is justified and appropriate...

No one's arguing that, first off.

Second, you could not be more incorrect. There are CPSC laws on the books that strictly spell out the usage of terms like "new" in advertising. For instance, for a package to use the word "new", this means that something in the formulation would have to have had a change, and to a certain level of significance, in the last 6 months. If the product does not change, 6 months passes, and the package still says "new", there is a significant liability issue with a strong possibility of hefty fines. "Improved", is also only allowed if there is a proven change that is obviously deemed an "improvement" by the CPSC.
It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#25 OFFLINE   LOCODUDE

LOCODUDE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,653 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:12 PM

Kinda liking this show.... :)

Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it.

Confucius

#26 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:09 PM

I think it's a cool show although a somewhat unbelievable premise which has been done countless times in the past (terminator, etc.). I wonder when they are going to get around to the theory that if a time traveler does something in the past to change the future everything blows up.

Unless you assume that whatever those who go back in time do actually shape the future. They actually address that option in the first episode.

#27 OFFLINE   Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 508 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:32 PM

In a show like this, I interpret the time-travel plot element as a convenient contrivance to isolate the protagonist from getting significant assistance in her quest. It's like the "shuffle off to the other side of the galaxy" contrivance for Voyager--no help from StarFleet--they are on their own. In essence, it's a McGuffin, just there to setup the plot, but completely unimportant to the overall story, which is her against them. Yes, she has a sidekick, but really, it's her against them.
Luke

Sagaciously eschew obfuscating sesquipedalianisms.

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.--from Joan of Arcadia

#28 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,825 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:26 PM

I think it was Issac Asimov who once said that there will never, ever be time travel into the past - not because it is impossible, but based upon human nature and logic. His argument was that if we invent it, people will be unable to resist going back and messing with history. That would continue until we end up creating a history in which time travel is never discovered and therefore that would become the one and only history.

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#29 OFFLINE   jkane

jkane

Icon

• Registered
  • 695 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:57 AM

If you go back into your own time stream and change things, another time stream gets created. No parodox. ;)
- Jeff
922, 722, 501.

#30 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,828 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:13 AM

If you go back into your own time stream and change things, another time stream gets created. No parodox. ;)

It all depends on which time travel theory you subscribe to.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#31 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,272 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:40 PM

Who was it that said, "The past no longer exists, the future does not yet exist; there is only the present."

I think it was me.

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#32 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,818 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:36 PM

Who was it that said, "The past no longer exists, the future does not yet exist; there is only the present."

I think it was me.

I believe you said that next week:)

#33 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,825 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 26 January 2013 - 03:49 PM

I think it was me.

In the words of David Crosby; "Sheer profundity!"

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#34 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,568 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:12 AM

Who was it that said, "The past no longer exists, the future does not yet exist; there is only the present."...

This is exactly what happens when you drop acid. No kidding.

Humans survive in their environment by constantly predicting the near future, often subconsciously "if I want to turn right here I will need to turn the steering wheel at a point in time just this far into the near future". They also rely on past experience to guide them "I know just when and how much to turn the steering wheel because I have done this before". Daily existence is a balancing act of constant prediction of the near future and constantly relying on history. We can't really do much about what is happening in the present other than endure it, so we survive mostly by concentrating on predicting the very near future and relying on what we have already learned in the past; we pretty much ignore the present because we have no control over it and we need to pay attention to constantly predicting the near future and constantly relying on what the past has given us, to survive.

When you drop acid, the past ceases to exist for you (your ability to regard it is impaired), and the future ceases to exist for you (same impairment). You can only regard and react to the present. This is why that experience is so profound; it is completely different than everything else we know and do. I do not recommend trying it, however. The stronger the dose, the less you can regard the past and the future. If you take enough to impair them completely, you become a quivering mass, unable to function at any level other than autonomic (respiration and heartbeat). This is sort of an indicator of how important those two processes (prediction and referral to past experience) actually are for us to survive.

Technically the present is of course the only one of the three that actually exists, making the above quoted statement sort of a "Captain Obvious" pronouncement, but we know the future will exist, which is why we need to predict it constantly (at least the very near future) and we know the past did exist, which is why we can still draw on those experiences to guide us through the present, and into the future, even though it will still only be the present for us.

It is pretty ironic that the past (relying on what we know) is important, the future (prediction of) is important, but the only one of the three that actually exists, the present, isn't really important to us at all.

Edited by TomCat, 29 January 2013 - 07:45 AM.

#35 OFFLINE   coldsteel

coldsteel

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:52 AM

OK... head just 'sploded...
DISH 625 dvr

The opinions posted on this site are my own and do not represent DISH Network's positions, strategies or opinions. Unless I decide to be bad or call out an idiot...

#36 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,896 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:57 PM

What with Rock, Paper, Scissor being forgotten in the not too distant future?

And then there's the phone tech. What they're going to do in the future, implant phones into everyone's head?

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#37 OFFLINE   jkane

jkane

Icon

• Registered
  • 695 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:50 AM

They let the Canadian writers slip a bit this week. We don't have any "Leftenants" in the US! My spell checker can't even figure out how to spell it that way. ;)
- Jeff
922, 722, 501.

#38 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,111 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:14 PM

They let the Canadian writers slip a bit this week. We don't have any "Leftenants" in the US! My spell checker can't even figure out how to spell it that way. ;)

I heard that but it didn't even hit me as a mistake, I guess I have heard it enough that it went right by. I would consider it more of a speaking mistake rather than a writing mistake as the word is spelled the same regardless of pronunciation
My Setup

#39 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:05 PM

It takes place in Canada. What's the issue?

#40 OFFLINE   BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy

Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt...&a

• Registered
  • 5,259 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:16 PM

I heard that but it didn't even hit me as a mistake, I guess I have heard it enough that it went right by. I would consider it more of a speaking mistake rather than a writing mistake as the word is spelled the same regardless of pronunciation

http://en.wiktionary.../wiki/leftenant

English

Etymology
Phonetic rendering of lieutenant (UK, Canada, Australia, NZ)
Pronunciation: /lef"ten@nt/, /lu:"ten@nt/ (US)
Noun
leftenant (plural leftenants)
An archaic spelling of lieutenant.
Quotations:
1909: He is said to be a leftenant. Of the police force. A leftenant. - William N. Famous, Colonel Crook Stories, page 3.

Thanks to Google search, people can appear to be smarter than they really are.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...