Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Continuum - time jumping for real

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,071 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:48 PM

They let the Canadian writers slip a bit this week. We don't have any "Leftenants" in the US! My spell checker can't even figure out how to spell it that way. ;)

Considering it's spelled "Lieutenant" regardless of how it's pronounced I'd say it's the same word. Any country still using "The Queen's English" pronounces "Lieutenant" as "Leftenant".
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#42 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,268 posts
  • LocationNear Houston, TX

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:04 PM

Just power-watched the first four episodes and I like it so far. I especially enjoy seeing some 'old friends' from other recent Syfy shows.

#43 OFFLINE   jkane

jkane

Icon

• Registered
  • 695 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:34 AM

It takes place in Canada. What's the issue?

OH! Somehow I thought it was in Seattle or some place Northwest US. I just looked on Wikipedia. It is in Vancouver. Then it makes perfect sense to use the British pronounciation.
:eek2:
- Jeff
922, 722, 501.

#44 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,274 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:25 AM

OH! Somehow I thought it was in Seattle or some place Northwest US. I just looked on Wikipedia. It is in Vancouver. Then it makes perfect sense to use the British pronounciation.
:eek2:

Yup. Takes place in Vancouver, however she tried to pass herself off at first as a Portland police officer.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#45 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,362 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 08 February 2013 - 08:20 PM

The event will take place in July, at a location near Las Cruces, NM.

Posted Image

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#46 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,219 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 26 March 2013 - 06:31 PM

SYFY'S POPULAR SERIES "CONTINUUM" WILL RETURN FOR SECOND SEASON

Posted Image

THIRTEEN ALL-NEW EPISODES BEGIN AIRING FRIDAY, JUNE 7

NEW YORK - March 26, 2013 - Syfy has announced its popular time traveling police drama Continuum will return for a second season. The 13 all-new episode season will premiere in its new time period beginning Friday, June 7 at 10PM (ET/PT).

During its first season, Continuum delivered 1.35 million total viewers, 644K Adults 25-54 and 537K Adults 18-49. In its time period, the series ranked #6 in Adults 25-54 and #10 in Adults 18-49 among all cable entertainment programs with at least three telecasts (based on most current data).

New episodes of Continuum pick up after the gripping Season 1 finale when Kiera Cameron (Rachel Nichols/Criminal Minds, Alias) fought a ticking clock to prevent a cataclysmic act of terrorism.

. . . .

READ MORE
DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR24-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#47 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,561 posts
  • LocationColbert, WA

Posted 26 March 2013 - 10:55 PM

Good!! I like it.

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#48 ONLINE   Holydoc

Holydoc

Legend

• Registered
  • 231 posts
  • LocationPanhandle, FL

Posted 27 March 2013 - 07:04 AM

The problem I am having with this show is that they are killing off so many civilians with no thought of future repercusions. If you believe everyone is connected somehow, then killing several people an episode would change the future dramatically.

Even with the above, if you throw out any reasoning about time travel, the show is entertaining. :)

#49 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,071 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 07:09 AM

The problem I am having with this show is that they are killing off so many civilians with no thought of future repercusions. If you believe everyone is connected somehow, then killing several people an episode would change the future dramatically.

Unless they were supposed to die anyways...
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#50 OFFLINE   renbutler

renbutler

Godfather

• Registered
  • 506 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 07:47 AM

Well, Kellogg and Kiera have mentioned several times that she cannot expect to return to the same future they came from.

#51 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,276 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:53 AM

We watched 2 or 3 episodes of season 1 before it lost our interest. Glad it'll be back, though. We might give it a second go.
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#52 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,476 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:48 AM

This is exactly what happens when you drop acid. No kidding.

Humans survive in their environment by constantly predicting the near future, often subconsciously "if I want to turn right here I will need to turn the steering wheel at a point in time just this far into the near future". They also rely on past experience to guide them "I know just when and how much to turn the steering wheel because I have done this before". Daily existence is a balancing act of constant prediction of the near future and constantly relying on history. We can't really do much about what is happening in the present other than endure it, so we survive mostly by concentrating on predicting the very near future and relying on what we have already learned in the past; we pretty much ignore the present because we have no control over it and we need to pay attention to constantly predicting the near future and constantly relying on what the past has given us, to survive.

When you drop acid, the past ceases to exist for you (your ability to regard it is impaired), and the future ceases to exist for you (same impairment). You can only regard and react to the present. This is why that experience is so profound; it is completely different than everything else we know and do. I do not recommend trying it, however. The stronger the dose, the less you can regard the past and the future. If you take enough to impair them completely, you become a quivering mass, unable to function at any level other than autonomic (respiration and heartbeat). This is sort of an indicator of how important those two processes (prediction and referral to past experience) actually are for us to survive.

Technically the present is of course the only one of the three that actually exists, making the above quoted statement sort of a "Captain Obvious" pronouncement, but we know the future will exist, which is why we need to predict it constantly (at least the very near future) and we know the past did exist, which is why we can still draw on those experiences to guide us through the present, and into the future, even though it will still only be the present for us.

It is pretty ironic that the past (relying on what we know) is important, the future (prediction of) is important, but the only one of the three that actually exists, the present, isn't really important to us at all.

Have you personally tried LSD?

Rich

#53 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,476 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 27 March 2013 - 10:02 AM

They let the Canadian writers slip a bit this week. We don't have any "Leftenants" in the US! My spell checker can't even figure out how to spell it that way. ;)

Leftenant is the proper way to pronounce the British version (which was first) of Lieutenant. Much like Colonel in English and Coronel in Spanish. I've often wondered why "Colonel" is pronounced "kernel" in English.

Rich

#54 OFFLINE   trainman

trainman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,496 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted 27 March 2013 - 11:36 AM

Well, Kellogg and Kiera have mentioned several times that she cannot expect to return to the same future they came from.

But they don't really know whether or not that's true.
trainman is Jim Ellwanger

HR34-700 | Linksys WGA-600N | Samsung 46" LCD | Slimline-5 dish

#55 OFFLINE   renbutler

renbutler

Godfather

• Registered
  • 506 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 05:32 PM

But they don't really know whether or not that's true.

Right. I'm just saying that the writers aren't ignoring the issue.

#56 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,645 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 07:25 PM

Have you personally tried LSD?

Rich

Uh...

Yeah. Many moons ago. In the interests of full disclosure, and since I still have never lied on the internet (believe or don't), I must admit I have. Not proud of it, and wished I never did, actually. Had trouble finding my keys and my shoes for a couple years there.

You know you may have chosen the wrong path when you go into one room to check the time so you can set a clock in the other room, but by the time you get there you forget what the first clock says...eight times in a row (just one example of what really happened). Thankfully, that was temporary........I think. And that did not happen under the influence, that was what things were like after not being under the influence for some time. Again, I recommend against that. Be curious, but best be curious about something else.

It does seem to answer certain universal questions we all have about the universe, but we will all probably get those answers in due time anyway.

But then that explains a lot, doesn't it :grin:

Edited by TomCat, 27 March 2013 - 07:32 PM.

It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#57 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,219 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 21 June 2013 - 10:48 PM

So far, this second season, in my opinion, is stinking up the airwaves.

It seems to have lost the plot.

DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR24-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#58 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,276 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 22 June 2013 - 08:42 AM

So far, this second season, in my opinion, is stinking up the airwaves.

It seems to have lost the plot.

We stopped watching two or three episodes into the first season.

VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#59 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,268 posts
  • LocationNear Houston, TX

Posted 22 June 2013 - 08:49 AM

I haven't seen last nights episode yet but so far I'm entertained by season 2. :cool:

#60 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,561 posts
  • LocationColbert, WA

Posted 22 June 2013 - 11:17 AM

I'm a little lost this season.  But for some reason, either my series link somehow changed, or syfy changed their air date information.  Only the first episode recorded.  It took me until this week to figure it out, then try to find out how many I have missed.  Was last night ep3 or 4 of this season?   I had to record one VOD and then I got last nights back on the recording schedule.

Some of my confusion is from not being sure if I have seen them all in order or not.  The rest is because the plot is strange now.

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

Protected By... spam firewall...And...