Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Question - Owned/Leased/Swap

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   rbmcgee

rbmcgee

Legend

• Registered
  • 132 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:55 PM

Hi all,

I've been w/ DTV since 1998. Currently I have 3 H20-100s and 1 standard def receiver. 2 of my H20s are owned by me (bought on ebay and activated) and 1 of the H20s (and the SD receiver) was part of what DTV originally gave me and are listed as leased.

I recently got a 3D TV and I would like to check out the DTV 3D channels but, as you are aware, the H20s are not capable of showing the 3D channels.

I called DTV and they said I was eligible for a straight swap (no commitment) with one of my H20s for a 3D capable receiver H21/h22/etc. I then asked if instead of sending back one of my h20s in the swap if I could send back the SD receiver instead. They said that would require commitment.

Then I'm reading on this forum and I get the impression DTV doesn't even want the h20s back.

Here are my questions:
1) If I do agree to the swap, will DTV actually want the h20 sent back or will they just tell me to keep it?
2) If they do tell me to keep it can I just deactivate the SD receiver and then I would end up with 3 h20s and 1 h2x?

Note: I really need 3 h20s because they don't have the hdgui and I can, and do, send both an hd signal and an sd signal out simultaneously and I have antennas that require the OTA input and the h2x won't have those. That is why 3 h20s and 1 h2x would be the happiest ending.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,247 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:11 PM

Hi all,

I've been w/ DTV since 1998. Currently I have 3 H20-100s and 1 standard def receiver. 2 of my H20s are owned by me (bought on ebay and activated) and 1 of the H20s (and the SD receiver) was part of what DTV originally gave me and are listed as leased.

I recently got a 3D TV and I would like to check out the DTV 3D channels but, as you are aware, the H20s are not capable of showing the 3D channels.

I called DTV and they said I was eligible for a straight swap (no commitment) with one of my H20s for a 3D capable receiver H21/h22/etc. I then asked if instead of sending back one of my h20s in the swap if I could send back the SD receiver instead. They said that would require commitment.

Then I'm reading on this forum and I get the impression DTV doesn't even want the h20s back.

Here are my questions:
1) If I do agree to the swap, will DTV actually want the h20 sent back or will they just tell me to keep it?
2) If they do tell me to keep it can I just deactivate the SD receiver and then I would end up with 3 h20s and 1 h2x?

Note: I really need 3 h20s because they don't have the hdgui and I can, and do, send both an hd signal and an sd signal out simultaneously and I have antennas that require the OTA input and the h2x won't have those. That is why 3 h20s and 1 h2x would be the happiest ending.

The problem you are going to run into is that DirecTV is expecting a swap of a H20 for a H2x. After you deactivate the H20, even if they don't want it back, it will most likely be flagged, especially if it was the leased one. If DirecTV thinks that you are deactivating the SD receiver for the H2x, you will end up with a commitment.

Your only way around this is if you deactivate one of your owned receivers. At a later time, you might be able to get away with reactivating it. However, I would gather that the no commitment swap is really for people that have a leased H20 that they want to swap out. So, if you deactivate the owned H20 and replace it with a H2x, you might end up with a new commitment.

That brings up the question as to whether having a commitment is even that big of a deal for you. If they will give you a H2x for free to swap out the SD receiver and they only require a commitment, is it that much of an issue?

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#3 OFFLINE   rbmcgee

rbmcgee

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 132 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:38 PM

Thanks for the response.

I thought there might be a catch.

The reason no commitment is very good is that if there is a problem, I hold every card. If a tornado blows away the dish ... I get a new, installed dish for free. Also, if DTV looses some channels (contract issues) I call and complain and they start giving me free stuff. From my experience, the conversations are much more pleasant if you don't have a commitment and the retention department is much more flexible. I'm not sure if I want to play that card for this issue though.

Perhaps someone else knows a loophole.

#4 OFFLINE   rbmcgee

rbmcgee

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 132 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:48 PM

The Merg,

After reading your post again you said "After you deactivate the H20, even if they don't want it back, it will most likely be flagged". What if I receive the new h2x and never deactivate the h20 (assuming they don't want it back). Are they going to force me to deactivate a receiver that they don't want back (or possible just deactivate it themselves?) That doesn't make any sense. Why would they do that? They would rather have 5 receivers activated than 4 (more $). Then I could turn around and deactivate the sd receiver.

#5 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,415 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:59 PM

I would think that doing that would trigger the commitment.

#6 OFFLINE   rbmcgee

rbmcgee

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 132 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:06 PM

So what you're saying is that either I deactivate a receiver or I'm in a commitment, ie, force me to deactivate?

I would call DTV and ask them to choose:
1) No commitment and 5 receivers, or
2) No commitment and 4 receivers

I just find it hard to believe they would choose option 2.

Of course, this all assumes they don't want the h20s back.

#7 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,415 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:13 PM

The no commitment would require a swap/deactivation of an H20. I don't think the CSR would be able to override the commitment.

#8 OFFLINE   rbmcgee

rbmcgee

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 132 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:25 PM

Well I do know how it would actually work. And the swap/deactivation doesn't happen at the same time. This is what would actually happen.

1) I agree to the swap
2) DTV ships me a H2x
3) I receive the H2x
4) I call up to activate the H2x (it is at this point that push would meet shove.) At this point I have 5 receivers in my hand and DTV probably doesn't even want 4 of them back and they just sent me the fifth one.

At this point, on this phone call 2 things could happen
1) They activate the H2x and force me to deactivate the H20 (via threat of commitment), or,
2) They activate the h2x and I hang up. (with now 5 receivers activated)

I understand it is a unique and tricky situation and not one that you could call DTV and talk about. Tis the reason for this thread.

#9 OFFLINE   JBv

JBv

Godfather

• Registered
  • 795 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:59 PM

Well I do know how it would actually work. And the swap/deactivation doesn't happen at the same time. This is what would actually happen.

1) I agree to the swap
2) DTV ships me a H2x
3) I receive the H2x
4) I call up to activate the H2x (it is at this point that push would meet shove.) At this point I have 5 receivers in my hand and DTV probably doesn't even want 4 of them back and they just sent me the fifth one.

1) They activate the H2x and force me to deactivate the H20 (via threat of commitment), or,

I understand it is a unique and tricky situation and not one that you could call DTV and talk about. Tis the reason for this thread.

The 3D swap for the H20 is a *swap*. For it to activate as a replacement and without a commitment one of your receivers is *automatically* going to be deactivated at the same time.
It's one step for the agent.

Also another thing...on the 3D swaps I've done, it has been asking for the H20s/HR20s back. This is the only time I've seen an Hx20 required to be returned, of course what was required last month (or yesterday even!) may not be the case when you swap yours out.
DirecTV Employee
The postings on this site are my own and do not represent DirecTV's positions, strategies, or opinions.

#10 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,247 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:04 PM

1) I agree to the swap
2) DTV ships me a H2x
3) I receive the H2x

That's not exactly how it works though. The CSR can activate the new receiver as a swap or an upgrade/additional receiver. With the swap, the system wants a receiver deactivated and one activated. The system then does not create a commitment. If the CSR chooses the upgrade activation, the system automatically creates a commitment. In the swap out situation, the receiver is flagged so that even though DirecTV does not want it back that receiver ID will most likely not be able to be activated again.

- Merg

#11 OFFLINE   rbmcgee

rbmcgee

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 132 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:04 PM

JBv,

Thanks very much for sharing your experience. If was what I was hoping to find when I posted, although the answer was not what I was wanted. Aside from everything else, if they want the h20s back ... end of discussion.

#12 OFFLINE   rbmcgee

rbmcgee

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 132 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:12 PM

The Merg,

I assume when you say "With the swap, the system wants a receiver deactivated and one activated." the system wants an h20 deactivated and not just any receiver. If I tried to sub the SD receiver, the system would probably claim upgrade.

#13 OFFLINE   rbmcgee

rbmcgee

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 132 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:15 PM

Looks like I'm going to have to choose between no hdgui and an ota antenna vs 3d channels.

If anyone wants to off-topic comment ... are the 3d channels worth it?

#14 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,247 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:20 AM

The Merg,

I assume when you say "With the swap, the system wants a receiver deactivated and one activated." the system wants an h20 deactivated and not just any receiver. If I tried to sub the SD receiver, the system would probably claim upgrade.

Yup.

- Merg

#15 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,415 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:02 AM

Looks like I'm going to have to choose between no hdgui and an ota antenna vs 3d channels.

Not to me. I'd be more likely to watch a 3D Bluray.

#16 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:27 AM

Why dont you get an AM21? That way you can have 3D channels and OTA? The other thing that stands out a little here is you've been with D* since 1998 and you're trying to avoid a 2 year commitment, that sounds a little ludicrous if you step back and look at it from our perspective. I really doubt you're going anywhere and about holding all the cards, you have 3 H20's...and an SD box...you're not really burning it up keeping up with their latest and greatest equipment. Are you using the SD output from all 3 H20's now? That would mean you have SD dup siignals to at least 3 other SD tv's still? :confused:

#17 OFFLINE   rbmcgee

rbmcgee

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 132 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:16 PM

iamge didn't appear will try again

#18 OFFLINE   rbmcgee

rbmcgee

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 132 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:22 PM

Wow CCarncross,

There’s a lot of stuff in that post. Since I’ve got some time, I figure I might just as well respond and elaborate.

Disclaimer: I’ve seen certain dbstalk threads deteriorate into shouting matches between 2 different approaches to a given situation. Person A wants person B to see things the way person A sees it and vice-versa. I believe if person A sees it one way and person B sees it another way, that’s OK and neither is right or wrong.

Let’s start:
DTV Commitment:
In 2007 a massive lightening bolt struck my house. Despite surge protectors and UPS machines, it fried everything. My dish and all my dtv receivers were fried. At that time, I did not have a commitment. Within 2 days I had a new dish and all new receivers and all it cost me was a 2-year commitment. During that commitment I had an LNB fail. It cost me $49 or $99 to have it replaced. After that commitment ended, dtv lost a lot of stations due to the contract. I simply called dtv to register my complaint and to remind them that “Dish” had those channels. Next thing I know, I’m talking to retention and she’s giving me premium channels and coupons for ppv. I never used any of that but that’s not the point. Last year I traded 1-year commitment for free Sunday Ticket.

No commitment means you have money in the bank that can be used to buy things from dtv. Getting an h21 is not worth that price. I will spend that money (commitment) on something bigger and more important.

3D channels
I believe dtv has 3 3d channels. The only channel I would possibly care about is espn3d. From what I’ve heard and what I’ve read, it’s not that great. They tend to loop the same stuff. That would get old. Perhaps espn will move toward simulcasting games as standard operating procedure. Even at that, if I could watch the Rose Bowl in HD or in 3D would I choose 3D? At first I would (novelty) but would I really watch 3d on an ongoing basis? I don’t know. Therefore, it is possible that, on an ongoing basis, I will never tune to any of the 3d channels. So think about me and 3d channels as “I want to check it out” rather than a “I gotta have it” kind of guy. That means the value of 3d channels to me is pretty low.

Equipment:
Always the difficult and controversial subject.
I’m a computer guy. I have 3 hdtvs, 1 sdtv 4 dtv boxes and 6 computers in my house. I also have 5 widescreen led computer monitors ranging in size from 20” to 26”. Note: I’m not going o talk about music, photographs, documents, dvds or bluray discs because that’s not the subject. Only live TV and recorded shows.

I’ve had whole house dvr since about 2003. I’ve had whole house hd dvr since about 2008. Not only can I watch live tv and recorded shows from any room in the house, I can watch live tv and recorded shows from anywhere in the world. I can stream both (live/recorded) to my smart phone, tablet or to any pc I’m sitting at. I’ve been able to do this since probably 2010. I have unlimited storage capacity and I can take a recording, remove the commercials and then save it. I can also set playback to automatically skip commercial breaks. I’ve had “smart” tvs for over 10 years. If I could buy a new tv without the “smarts”, I would. Don’t need it. Never will use it.

Every dtv box feeds a tv and also feeds a computer capture/pvr card.

Below is photo I just took at the monitor I’m presently looking at. You may notice that my dtv remote is actually down the left hand of the screen. If I click on a station logo icon, it takes me to that station. From that remote I can turn off/on any light in the house, I can wake/sleep/view and of the computers and I can call up any of the 6 surveillance cameras.

All of the computers have the ability to view TV in this fashion. Some of the computers can view the image in HD (what you’re looking at is an svideo feed of a sd signal). I would say that TV gets viewed in this way 75% of the time. Only 25% is there something worth turning on the hdtv and viewing in glorious big screen HD. As I said, I can also view TV in HD on this screen, but at this size, hd really isn’t necessary.

For me, dtv boxes do not determine how many tvs/display devices the programming can be viewed on … it simply limits the amount of stations that the whole house can tune to at any given moment. Right now I’ve got the ability (as a whole house) to watch 3 hd “cable” stations and 1 sd “cable” station plus any tv/display device can watch any ota hd or sd without limit. And when I say watch I mean watch and/or record. To make this system run I need 3 dtv boxes feeding both hd and sd simultaneously and I need 3 dtv boxes that can take an antenna.

Summary:
If I lose an h20, I will have to buy an am21 (dtv won’t give me one for free and they said they don’t even have any left) and one of those monoprice converters so that I can output both hd and sd at the same time just to keep the system running as designed.

That’s about $100 for 3d channels. Is it worth it to me? (see 3d channels above), I’m pondering. I’ve already decided that 3d channels are not worth a commitment.

Attached Thumbnails

• dtv 001 (Medium).jpg
  • dtv 002 (Medium).jpg

spam firewall