Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

3D from the HR34 Does not work on my Yamaha

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Happs

Happs

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:02 PM

I've seen a few post about this issue but no complete solutions.

I just purchased a YAMAHA RX-V471 with 4 HDMI inputs. My old Onkyo did not have HDMI so I upgraded. The Yamaha says it works with 3D so being a discontinued model at a good price I thought I'd try.

Well the old Directv 3D channels (which are very few) worked fine with the HR34 directly to the TV and the 3D BluRay directly to TV also.

But then I connected the Yamaha to the HR34 and the Directv channels give me a split image on all of the 3D channels. That is a side by side display when watching 3D. Well that won't work but before I give up I better connect the LG 3D BluRay player to make sure. I used the 3D BRAVE movie and it is stunning going from BluRay to Yamaha and into TV. So it DOES pass through 3D. So maybe it is just the HDMI problems on the Yamaha so I switched inputs and AGAIN the BluRay plays 3D fine on either HDMI input on Yamaha but HR34 does not work on any of the Yamaha 4 HDMI inputs. I even tried a recorded 3D show from the HR34 and still have side by side video.

So I am sure it's the HR34 box not passing 3D on HDMI or something....what can it be and how can I fix it ??????

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   afulkerson

afulkerson

MI Citizen Corps Vol of Year

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,658 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:33 AM

Side by Side is the format that DirecTv puts out for 3D.

#3 OFFLINE   FHSPSU67

FHSPSU67

CE'er & Retired Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,405 posts
  • LocationWindber, PA

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:45 AM

Side by Side is the format that DirecTv puts out for 3D.

Yes, and it's the TV that should auto-detect the side-by-side and adjust accordingly. I have the same problem and just have to go into my TV's menu and change 3D detection from 'Auto' to 'Side by Side".
Fred
DIRECTV since November 1995
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler" A.Einstein

#4 OFFLINE   Happs

Happs

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:02 AM

Thanks Fred. That was kind of dumb of me. I went into my TV menu and 3D options were grayed out but another option was 3D test and that worked fine.

But I kept looking and Oops there is a 3D button on my remote....tried that and there was the options for side by side and above and below. Switched that to side by side and it worked great ! Does a little flashing back and forth when I change 3D channels but it finally works.

Thanks Fred.....hey I'm right over in Stoystown

#5 OFFLINE   FHSPSU67

FHSPSU67

CE'er & Retired Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,405 posts
  • LocationWindber, PA

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:20 AM

Glad I could help, and of course you know by now that you likely have to switch back for normal viewing. Stoystown's a neat place. I grew up in Gray and played Littgle League Baseball for Gray, and against the Stoystown Lichliters (Sp?)
Fred
DIRECTV since November 1995
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler" A.Einstein

#6 ONLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,237 posts
  • LocationFlat Branch, NC

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:41 AM

This was an interesting thread. I have a Panasonic 42GT25 connected to my HR34. I don't recall if I have ever looked at 3D content with this combination. Previously my HR24 was connected to the Panasonic. There were no issues with 3D. Yeasterday I checked and had the same split screen. Changing it from auto to side by side in the tv menu corrected the issue, but then I had to change the setting back. Moving the HR24 back to the Panny also corrected the issue. The tv could auto detect the side by side coming from the HR24. So it would seem its an HR34 issue. Glad I dont watch 3D.
HR20-100, HR20-700, HR24-100, HR34-700/AM21

#7 OFFLINE   turls

turls

Legend

• Registered
  • 128 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:34 PM

Ok, I know I have not tried EVERY single troubleshooting solution yet, but I don't like jumping through hoops when it is likely the issue is something else.

Side by side (SBS) on my H25 is detected fine by my Sony projector and works great.

Side by side on my HR34 is NOT detected and the side by side switch is not made. I believe this problem started about the time I noticed there had been an upgrade (which I believe is the 0x05FD update, the one where you can use FF/RW to skip in the guide).

Yes, these are different inputs on my Lumagen processor, part of the cabling path is different, yada yada. But this worked almost flawlessly until very recently. Most I would have to do before is power cycle the Lumagen processor.

Anyone else? Its one of those things that I think its a DirecTV issue and I can get by for a while since I have the H25 to fall back on, but I want to raise the flag.

As far as settings on the projector, all that does is try to use simul 3d on the split image if I fool with the setting.

Edited by turls, 17 January 2013 - 03:52 PM.

Love DirecTV on Demand? ISPs don't.

As you read posts claiming that OTA/ATSC is not important, remember that you are at the mercy of the individual stations and their negotiation status with DirecTV (not to mention missing out on subchannels). And these negotiations are not "one and done" but will come up every once in a while--and at that point you can lose your stations completely if there is an impasse.

#8 OFFLINE   turls

turls

Legend

• Registered
  • 128 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:56 PM

Anybody with this type of issue should post in the issues thread, whether you can do a workaround with a TV mode or not. Not all display devices have a workaround and this is broken (likely because of the upgrade) regardless.

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=211847
Love DirecTV on Demand? ISPs don't.

As you read posts claiming that OTA/ATSC is not important, remember that you are at the mercy of the individual stations and their negotiation status with DirecTV (not to mention missing out on subchannels). And these negotiations are not "one and done" but will come up every once in a while--and at that point you can lose your stations completely if there is an impasse.

spam firewall