Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DVR Setup

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mabrandt

mabrandt

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:21 AM

My father is moving into a retirement home that has Direct TV installed in the apartments. The home pays for the service. They are not individual subscribers. I want to install a DVR for him in his apartment. I was told by the home's director that I can just go to Best Buy and purchase the DVR receiver and hook it up. I am not quite sure how that works. Don't you need 2 inputs to be able to watch one while recording another? Is there a way to split this signal? Not sure exactly what I'll need or if it can even be done.

Thanks.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   mcbeevee

mcbeevee

97% Complete

• Registered
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:27 AM

My father is moving into a retirement home that has Direct TV installed in the apartments. The home pays for the service. They are not individual subscribers. I want to install a DVR for him in his apartment. I was told by the home's director that I can just go to Best Buy and purchase the DVR receiver and hook it up. I am not quite sure how that works. Don't you need 2 inputs to be able to watch one while recording another? Is there a way to split this signal? Not sure exactly what I'll need or if it can even be done.
Thanks.

I'm fairly sure Best Buy quit stocking Directv equipment a few years ago. You would need to order the DVR through an online retailer like Solid Signal. If the Directv system at the apartment is setup for SWM, you only need 1 input wire to the DVR, but it still has 2 tuners.

:)

#3 OFFLINE   mabrandt

mabrandt

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:29 AM

I'm fairly sure Best Buy quit stocking Directv equipment a few years ago. You would need to order the DVR through an online retailer like Solid Signal. If the Directv system at the apartment is setup for SWM, you only need 1 input wire to the DVR, but it still has 2 tuners.

:)

Is there an easy way to tell this? The folks that work there don't seem to have any idea what they have.

#4 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,667 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:35 AM

You can't just "go and get" a DirecTV DVR. It is an item that is added to an account as an additional receiver, plus it adds a DVR fee. Further, you would need to know if the system is SD or HD, legacy or SWM (or a variation for an MDU system which is what you are dealing with).

There is a system operator that manages that system. You need to talk to them to determine what needs to be done, and what costs might be applicable. Someone at that retirement home will know - try the facility maintenance supervisor.

#5 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,746 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:46 AM

Thanks.

If one of the current tennants will let you check their DVR you can simply press the dash button on the remote and see if it says SWM detected on the TV screen.
If it does, the DVR would only need 1 coax connection.
This assumes of course that they have HD service.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#6 OFFLINE   mabrandt

mabrandt

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:56 AM

If one of the current tennants will let you check their DVR you can simply press the dash button on the remote and see if it says SWM detected on the TV screen.
If it does, the DVR would only need 1 coax connection.
This assumes of course that they have HD service.

This is a brand new place. From what the marketing director has told me, my Dad is the first ever to ask for a DVR. I am trying now to find out if the residents have individual receivers or if they are on those mini cable systems that work off of DTV. The mini/private cable systems have no receivers in the room. If they have Bulk DTV, which is different than the mini cable system, I read that they get a basic package and basic receiver with the room, and contact DTV for any extras, such as HBO and DVR's. That would be fine if that's the case. I just don't quite understand why they can't tell me. This is assisted living, not a nursing home. My Dad is used to U-verse that can let him record 4 shows all at the same time. He doesn't use all that capacity, but he dearly loves skipping the ads. I am assuming it is HD. When we toured, I saw all HD sets, but that doesn't really mean it is. I did not notice receivers, but I wasn't looking real hard either.

spam firewall