Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HMC Buffer When Unit is Off

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   DBSNewbie

DBSNewbie

Icon

• Registered
  • 807 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:32 AM

On the HR2x DVRs, when the unit is turned off, the buffer stays on, allowing the user to rewind a program when turning on the TV (D* Box) in the morning, for example, and see the earlier portions what was showing on the channel in which it was tuned to.

However, on my HR34, the unit does not start buffering until the unit is turned on. I did notice, though, that since the latest update (1/9), the buffer will stay on sometimes even after the unit has been turned off.

Some mornings, when I first turn on the TV (and D* box), I can rewind. Other times I can't. If I turn it off for a short bit, then turn it back on, the buffer stays buffering.

How is the HR34 supposed to behave in regards to the buffer? Is it supposed to stop buffering after a set period of time of the unit being off?

Also, does the new HR44 behave in the same manner as the HR34 does?

Thanks
Slimline, WB616 (2), SWM8 (2), OTA, MRV (U)
Den: Sony KDS-60A3000 -> HR20-700; Sony KDL-40S2000 (5) -> HR20-700 (2) & HR20-100 (3)
Master Bed: Kuro PDP-5020FD -> HR34-700
Master Bath: Sony KDL-26S3000 + PSP -> HR24-200
Daughter's: Sony KDL-40W3000 -> HR20-700
Son's: Sony KDL-40W3000 -> HR24-500
Kitchen: Sharp 20" -> H24-700
Guest: Sharp 20" -> H20-100
Patio: SunbriteTV 3220 -> H25-500
Living Room: Sony 42" XBR Plasma -> HR20-100

Diagram of Setup

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   BAHitman

BAHitman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 431 posts
  • LocationAustin Texas

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:09 AM

I have never noticed that it has buffered while off, but then I usually hit ON, PAUSE, then LIST, and while the TV and AVR are doing their power up routine, the playlist is on the screen when those things get done...

HR34, HR20x3, HR22, HR23, H24, H21

-BAHitman

#3 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,563 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:47 PM

Whatever Channel you are set to when you power the HDDVR off it will hold that buffer for 90 min Continual .

I know this (HOW) I leave one HDVDR BSM'T off (at times) on Channel 256(any channel of your interest) - When I tun on my MB TV (HD) receiver and I happen to go to that channel and see something of interest (already in the middle of show) I hit record and it will display where I want to record it and I select the BSM'T HDDVR .

When I go to the play list and select that show it will say 1 hour or 30 min partial recording depending on when I pressed record from the MB.

This will also work on any powered off HDDVR when you turn it on and if something that is currently playing on the last channel set you hit record and it will record the buffer for you to go back to the start and watch it now or later :)

I think that is what you are asking. :)
"Let's Have Some Fun!"

#4 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:22 PM

I believe others have witnessed this same behavior from the HR34's....I know the HR2x series have the buffer. I believe it will be addressed in a future software update.

#5 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,143 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:34 PM

The Genie (HR34) buffering is different than the HR2x buffering. You can't count on the HR34 being buffered out of standby, based at least in part by client use. Tuners are managed and assigned differently than they are on an HR2x.

#6 OFFLINE   DBSNewbie

DBSNewbie

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 807 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:55 AM

Yes. I am completely aware that the HR34 does not buffer while the unit is off (in standby mode). Or, at least that's the way it should be, for now, until a future update. That's the way it has behaved for the last year that I've had it - until recently.

Since the last update, I've noticed that when the unit is first turned on (like in the morning, for example) sometimes the previous 90 minutes are buffered (that can be rewinded to) and sometimes not.

Prior to the update, the previous 90-minute buffer was never there, when the unit was first turned on.

It happened again this morning. I woke up to Good Morning America on ABC (Channel 7 - Los Angeles) and the previous 90 minutes were buffered.

I think I may have a theory on when it does and does not buffer while the unit is off. As I had mentioned, when I turned on the TV, it was tuned to ABC. Last night, an episode of Modern Family was recorded, which happens to be on ABC.

I'm guessing that if a recording happens to be on the same channel the HR34 was last/ or currently tuned to, then the buffer engages. I will try to experiment with it for a bit and see if that is the case.

I'm wondering if any HR34 (or HR44) users out there can test their units and see whether or not it does buffer while in standby-off mode and if a recording on the same tuned-channel theory has any truth behind it.

Thanks.
Slimline, WB616 (2), SWM8 (2), OTA, MRV (U)
Den: Sony KDS-60A3000 -> HR20-700; Sony KDL-40S2000 (5) -> HR20-700 (2) & HR20-100 (3)
Master Bed: Kuro PDP-5020FD -> HR34-700
Master Bath: Sony KDL-26S3000 + PSP -> HR24-200
Daughter's: Sony KDL-40W3000 -> HR20-700
Son's: Sony KDL-40W3000 -> HR24-500
Kitchen: Sharp 20" -> H24-700
Guest: Sharp 20" -> H20-100
Patio: SunbriteTV 3220 -> H25-500
Living Room: Sony 42" XBR Plasma -> HR20-100

Diagram of Setup

#7 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,143 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:02 AM

I'm wondering if any HR34 (or HR44) users out there can test their units and see whether or not it does buffer while in standby-off mode and if a recording on the same tuned-channel theory has any truth behind it.

Thanks.

My personal experience has been that it generally does buffer under that circumstance, but not always. I have absolutely had (many) situations where it did not buffer (even when that channel was being recorded).

#8 OFFLINE   steve053

steve053

Godfather

• Registered
  • 339 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:54 AM

....Since the last update, I've noticed that when the unit is first turned on (like in the morning, for example) sometimes the previous 90 minutes are buffered (that can be rewinded to) and sometimes not.

Prior to the update, the previous 90-minute buffer was never there, when the unit was first turned on.

It happened again this morning. I woke up to Good Morning America on ABC (Channel 7 - Los Angeles) and the previous 90 minutes were buffered.

I think I may have a theory on when it does and does not buffer while the unit is off. As I had mentioned, when I turned on the TV, it was tuned to ABC. Last night, an episode of Modern Family was recorded, which happens to be on ABC.

I'm guessing that if a recording happens to be on the same channel the HR34 was last/ or currently tuned to, then the buffer engages. I will try to experiment with it for a bit and see if that is the case.

My wife mentioned/complained about this exact issue this morning. Sometimes the HR34 will be buffering when off and sometimes it won't. This morning she was watching the morning news and turned off the TV off around 6 a.m. When she turned the TV on again at 6:30 a.m. there was no buffer (and the channel had not been changed). I can also confirm that nothing was recording or completed recording during that 30 minute window. In fact, the most recent recording completed prior to midnight. That completed recording was on a different channel.

I also noticed that when I open the iPad app the 'currently watching' never identifies what's being watched. It only updates when I manually select a show via 'watch on tv' in the iPad app. This behavior began when I updagraded from an HR20-100 to the HR34. The HR20-100 always correctly identified what was currently being watched.
HR34 hardwired to router
Panasonic 50" Plasma (TH50PX60U)
Onkyo Receiver (TX-SR707)
Harmony 670 Remote
Polk speakers /Velodyne sub

#9 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,267 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:22 AM

I also noticed that when I open the iPad app the 'currently watching' never identifies what's being watched. It only updates when I manually select a show via 'watch on tv' in the iPad app. This behavior began when I updagraded from an HR20-100 to the HR34. The HR20-100 always correctly identified what was currently being watched.

I found that the Currently Watching will only work for the HR34 if the HR34 is not in standby. As soon as you put it into standby mode, it can't figure out what the active tuner is.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#10 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,922 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:03 PM

It seems pretty clear that the HR34 is tuned to nothing when it is in standby (i.e. front panel lights off). If you try to connect to an HR34 with the DirecTV iPad app, the "Currently viewing" panel never loads. Turn the HR34 on and it will then load, showing the current channel.

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#11 OFFLINE   goodwilldrums

goodwilldrums

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:31 PM

I've noticed that after watching something on the DVR (list), I'll press exit, and return to live programing there will be no buffer. But then, at times, there is a buffer.

And I have too have had these inconsistencies happen when I turn the DVR on after it's been turned off all night or during the day. Sometimes there's a 90 minute buffer, other times it's as if I have just tuned to that channel, when in fact it's been sitting on that channel all day long.

I cannot for the life of me figure out the HR34's pattern on this. It's very inconsistent, and driving me crazy.

This has to be a bug right? It's not something that we the users are all doing wrong right?

#12 OFFLINE   Justin23

Justin23

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:48 PM

If the HR34 has been idle for 4 hours, the Energy Saver kicks in. If it's happening during shorter periods of idle...don't know.

#13 OFFLINE   goodwilldrums

goodwilldrums

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:57 PM

I may have found a way to keep the buffer going.

I've tested it all throughout the day and it seems that if you rewind just a bit it will not refresh and act as if you've just tuned to that channel.

It seems as if the bug is when you stay live on the programming you're watching.

It's almost as if you have to trick it in thinking you're behind live TV.

So in the meantime, this is what I'm going with to get around this bug, if and until they get around to fixing it.

#14 OFFLINE   steve053

steve053

Godfather

• Registered
  • 339 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:37 AM

Last night we turned on a program a few minutes after 8 p.m. Rather than watch the program and commercials we switched to a recored program. We did not change the channel on the 'live' tv.

Less than 20 minutes latter we finished watching the recorded program. When we went back to the live tv, there was no buffer. :(

We tried to skip back, but again, there was nothing in the buffer.
HR34 hardwired to router
Panasonic 50" Plasma (TH50PX60U)
Onkyo Receiver (TX-SR707)
Harmony 670 Remote
Polk speakers /Velodyne sub

#15 OFFLINE   wesg

wesg

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 30 May 2013 - 07:15 PM

The HR44 and HR34 are using the same software.  The buffering is a problem with both and does not work like previous HR recieves (hr24 and prior) . This has been a known issue on DTV Forums at least for the last 6 months with no resolution. The buffering for the 34 and 44 is sporatic no matter what I have tried. 

#16 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,922 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 30 May 2013 - 09:58 PM

For those whom buffers are important, perhaps not putting the unit in Standby is a temp. solution. Standby saves but a few watts according to other's testing. 

I never rely on buffering, though I'd like to have it. If there's anything I remotely think I want to go back to in order to watch or just check out, I hit R.

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#17 OFFLINE   wesg

wesg

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 31 May 2013 - 09:39 AM

I have Powersaver off, Auto "find a program" off, Does not make a difference. Software needs to be fixed. PS: Other than software the HR44 is a sweet unit. It is less than half the size of the HR34, has an external power supply, is blazing fast with no delays. Definetly get a HR44 if you can.

#18 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 31 May 2013 - 10:26 AM

The workaround is until they fix the buffer situation, if they are going to, just leave it on.....probably only saves a nickel of month if you turn it off.  I think there is a reason there is no buffer when in standby, and I think it has to do with the 5 tuners, instead of just the pair.  But that is just a guess, as I believe both 5-tuner models have this issue.

Edited by CCarncross, 31 May 2013 - 10:27 AM.

#19 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,378 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 31 May 2013 - 10:45 AM

I seem to lose the buffer when going from live content to recorded content and then back to live content.  I don't understand why either.  I also miss turning on the DVR and seeing that it had stored the last 90 minutes of the channel it was on.  That was a great feature and I used it a lot.   Its nice not always having to record everything.  I find it very annoying thought to end watching a recording and then the live channel has nothing stored to rewind to.  Seems like it should as the box was on the entire time.  Just because I watched recorded programming does not mean I did not want to come back to what was on.  I have learned to just record it but liked it a lot better when I didn't have to.

Directv & Sunday Ticket Sub Since 8/19/2008
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#20 OFFLINE   h_a_h_3

h_a_h_3

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 10:53 AM

This morning I put a my kill-a-watt on the HR44 and C41 installed last week. C41 was 3W off, 4.5W on; HR44 was 19-20W both "off" and "on". The now-gone HR21 was 40W both "off" and "on".

Protected By... spam firewall...And...