Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Local channels Off Air

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Mike109

Mike109

Legend

• Registered
  • 250 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:08 PM

I noticed last night that according to the Dish EPG all my local channels were "Off Air" somewhere between 11:35pm tonight until 2:30am. This was either via satellite or OTA listings. I just checked & they still are. Times vary slightly depending on the channel. The sub-channels seem OK. The Zap2it listings are OK.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   coldsteel

coldsteel

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:17 PM

reset, reload the EPG.
DISH 625 dvr

The opinions posted on this site are my own and do not represent DISH Network's positions, strategies or opinions. Unless I decide to be bad or call out an idiot...

#3 OFFLINE   Mike109

Mike109

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 250 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:04 PM

Supposedly everything was updated overnight.

What's the easiest way to reload the EPG?

#4 ONLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,396 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:07 PM

What's the easiest way to reload the EPG?

The safest way is probably to do a Check Switch.

Other methods involve resetting or power cycling the receiver.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#5 OFFLINE   some guy

some guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:30 PM

I noticed last night that according to the Dish EPG all my local channels were "Off Air" somewhere between 11:35pm tonight until 2:30am. This was either via satellite or OTA listings. I just checked & they still are. Times vary slightly depending on the channel. The sub-channels seem OK. The Zap2it listings are OK.

It may have been caused by the new Sat migration. If your DMA is part of the transition, error 030/031/off air may appear and that time frame sounds in line with the migration.

#6 OFFLINE   Mike109

Mike109

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 250 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:36 PM

The safest way is probably to do a Check Switch.

Other methods involve resetting or power cycling the receiver.

I've previously done both of those but hoping there was a another way. Sometimes the EPG ends early & if you scroll to the end you are given an option to update the guide. I was looking for something similar to that but I guess it does not exist.

#7 OFFLINE   Mike109

Mike109

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 250 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:39 PM

It may have been caused by the new Sat migration. If your DMA is part of the transition, error 030/031/off air may appear and that time frame sounds in line with the migration.

Somehow I missed that there was going to be a migration. I just did a search on this forum & nothing showed up.

I'm in the Chicagoland area & have the Eastern Arc. Am I affected?

#8 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,365 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:56 PM

Somehow I missed that there was going to be a migration. I just did a search on this forum & nothing showed up.

I'm in the Chicagoland area & have the Eastern Arc. Am I affected?

Eastern Arc local channels are moving to new spots ... so if you're seeing "Off Air" yes, you are affected.

The first batch moved yesterday morning ... here is the list:
http://www.dbstalk.c...549#post3162549

Moves will be reported AFTER they occur. As always changes are posted in the "Uplink Activity" thread for the current month as soon as I have a chance (I work days so it may not be immediate). If you need immediate information please look on my website http://uplink.jameslong.name/updates/ . A RSS feed is available.

#9 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,462 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:22 PM

I saw this as well... on my LiLs... figured something was up... because while it said "Off Air," if you actually looked the description for the show that was supposed to air was sometimes still there!

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#10 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,365 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:38 PM

BTW: We should be seeing the final HD local uplinks to fill out the "carry one/carry all" requirement for HD locals. Several channels were added along with the shuffle yesterday morning. It should be an interesting few weeks of uplinks.

#11 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,443 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:06 PM

Yea, the FCC's "wisdom" of carry one carry all has left the rest of us with carry none.
Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#12 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,365 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:03 AM

Yea, the FCC's "wisdom" of carry one carry all has left the rest of us with carry none.

Congress writes the laws, under the influence of lobbyists. The FCC just interprets and enforces those rules.

For the markets that have no HD channels it means no HD until space is found for all of the potential HD in the market. But for the majority of the markets it means everything that is broadcast over the air in HD will be on satellite in HD. That is not a bad thing and with new satellites (like Echostar 16) being put into service we will be seeing new markets along with filling out the old.

#13 OFFLINE   Mike109

Mike109

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 250 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:25 AM

Thank you for the information.

#14 ONLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,396 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:20 AM

I've previously done both of those but hoping there was a another way.

It would be confusing if there were more than 3-1/2 ways to force a guide update.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

spam firewall