Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

HR-24 Losing Connection When Playing Off DVR On Genie

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   sacflies

sacflies

AllStar

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:33 PM

Hey guys, I had a Genie and 2 clients installed yesterday. I also have 2 HR-24's. Well, whenever I watch shows off the HR-24 in the bedroom on the Genie downstairs the play stops and I get a message saying the HR-24 has lost connection to the network. There is a Cinema Connection Kit installed where the Genie is located, with an ethernet cable running from the CCK to my wireless repeater. And I assume all the other boxes (the 2 HR-24's and 2 clients) connect to the Genie via coax. I had this same problem when I had one of the HR-24's installed where the Genie is now and I would try to play programs off the HR-24 upstairs on the HR-24 downstairs. With the same connection using the CCK. The HR-24 upstairs would lose connection.

Should I try connecting the Genie straight to the wireless repeater, bypassing the CCK? Would this allow all the other boxes to connect via coax? Would this be a better option? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thx in advance.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,273 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:57 PM

Should I try connecting the Genie straight to the wireless repeater, bypassing the CCK? Would this allow all the other boxes to connect via coax?

As is the result of the many other threads on the same topic, it should work so try it.

Whether or not it is a better option is comes down to whether it solves your problem and we cannot predict that.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#3 OFFLINE   sacflies

sacflies

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:53 PM

I searched but I couldn't really find much. Maybe I am using the wrong search words. Or just dumb! But these forum search engines are always a little flakey. I will try connecting the Genie directly to my repeater. Thx for the reply.

#4 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:59 PM

No matter how you have it hooked up, it almost sounds like you are trying to do whole over wireless and not over DECA. Whole home is not really reliable over wireless. The CCK is fine over wireless for VOD downloads, but not for whole home playback. Maybe I'm missing something, but you keep talking about connecting things through your wireless repeater. The only way I think is reliable is either fully wired ethernet connections or fully wired DECA. The CCK should really only be used to connect your DECA network to your ISP connection, like your Comcast or other providers modem/router for the internet connectivity for VOD downloads, youtube, or Pandora..

#5 OFFLINE   sacflies

sacflies

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:34 PM

OK, here is how my Genie is hooked up. And I don't really know jack about all this so bear with me. There is a box labeled SWM ODU ONLY where the cable from the dish comes in. A cable runs out of that to a SWM two-way splitter and a cable runs out of that into the Genie, and another cable runs out into a Connected Home Adapter (the CCK I presume?). From this Connected Home Adapter an ethernet cable runs out into the wireless repeater, and a cable runs out into a DC To RF Adapter and an AC adapter runs out of the DC To RF adapter into the power strip.

Don't really know where the DECA comes into play (built in to the Genie?), but that is how my Genie is hooked up. So I guess in essence I am trying to do Whole Home over wireless, since the repeater is wirelessly running off my main router upstairs. I use several of these wireless repeaters (Encore ENHWI 2AN3) around the house to get internet access to various Blu-ray players, PS3's, HTPC's etc.

I ran a test on the Genie today and it did come back saying that it was losing connection and kicked out diagnostic code 72-79-992. I called the guy that did my install today and he said he would talk to someone that could better trouble shoot my situation and would get back to me. He didn't call back today. Hopefully he will tomorrow. I asked the installer about trying to do Whole Home over wireless, but he seemed under the impression that the router that he plugged into was my main router, although I told him it was a wireless repeater when he was installing it. Maybe he didn't know what that meant exactly.

So if my problem IS trying to do Whole Home over wireless, how do I go about getting it installed when my main hardwired router is upstairs in the master bedroom? Install the Genie in that room with a hardwire to the main router? But I am sure everyone doesn't have their main router located where the Genie is being installed. What are the alternatives here?

Sorry, but this stuff gets confusing to me. Should know more about it but frankly...I don't! Thanks for any further help in this matter.

Oh, just as an aside, in order to keep from having to run 3 additional cables from my dish down across my front door, making for a messy install, he turned off one of the tuners on one of my HR-24's (in a currently little used bedroom) in order to keep my setup under the 8 tuner limit (I have 2 HR-24's) to remain with the much easier SWM 8 install.

#6 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,381 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:25 AM

So if my problem IS trying to do Whole Home over wireless, how do I go about getting it installed when my main hardwired router is upstairs in the master bedroom? Install the Genie in that room with a hardwire to the main router? But I am sure everyone doesn't have their main router located where the Genie is being installed. What are the alternatives here?

I don't think that you have whole home over wireless. Just your connection to to the Internet is wireless. However, if you have the option to make it hard-wired to the Internet, I would. Do you have another receiver in the Master Bedroom that can be directly connected to the main router? If so, take the splitter off of the coax going to the Genie and connect the Coax directly to the Genie. Bring the splitter and the CCK to the Master Bedroom and install the splitter and CCK there. Then connect the CCK to the router via ethernet.

I have no idea whether this will fix your Whole-home problem or not. But it will get your DECA network hard-wired to the Internet.

#7 OFFLINE   sacflies

sacflies

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:14 PM

I have a client in the master bedroom. And clients don't have Ethernet ports. I could put one of the HR24's in the master bedroom. So I will try that. Gonna have to get a rather long Ethernet cable as the TV is on the other side of the room from the router. But, like you say, this probably won't solve my Whole Home issue, as that is dealing with the receivers talking to each other over coax I guess.

So if I hardwire the HR24 in the master bedroom that will allow for that hardwire connection to all the other receivers and clients over coax? And I guess this will only help with VOD stuff, which I don't do much of?

But you know, I am sitting here thinking about how my Genie is getting internet access other than over wireless. The main router is upstairs and the CCK is plugged into my wireless repeater, so how else would my Genie be getting internet access other than over wireless? Or is that where the DECA comes into play? And is internet access and Whole Home totally independent from each other? Arrggghh! I am so confused!

Installer hasn't called back today either. Looks like they are going to leave me hanging all weekend.

#8 OFFLINE   Billzebub

Billzebub

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 543 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:25 PM

I'm having the same problem with my HR 24 connecting to my HR 34 today. I'll reboot and see what happens.

#9 OFFLINE   Billzebub

Billzebub

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 543 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:47 PM

I'm having the same problem with my HR 24 connecting to my HR 34 today. I'll reboot and see what happens.

I rebooted the HR34 and it seems to work now. I use the 34 as a server and don't usually view TV from it, so I just noticed that after an update on 1/9 it reset all my video resolutions so only 480p was set. Reselected all the others without a problem.

spam firewall