Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

New HD Channels (IFC, We, Fuse)

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   jsk

jsk

Icon

• Registered
  • 734 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:11 PM

At some point, yes... but the shopping channels pay to be carried so they should be welcomed. If you don't like a channel, you don't have to watch it.

In my house, those are the most expensive channels. :lol:
Dish Player DVR 722K with OTA module connected to the Eastern Arc

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 07:26 PM

WE is really streched. I was curiius to see how it looked.

That's actually to make the women who watch WE-HD feel better about themselves.They all have stretch marks and so do I,now I feel better about myself.:)

#23 OFFLINE   Wildblue

Wildblue

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:33 PM

What are the new channel numbers, guys?

It's really tedious to go through and look for new channels periodically.

#24 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,790 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:04 PM

What are the new channel numbers, guys?

It's really tedious to go through and look for new channels periodically.

They aren't really new channel numbers... they are the same as their previously carried already SD counterparts.

IFC SD/HD are on 298
We SD/HD are on 128
Fuse SD/HD are on 164

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#25 OFFLINE   tommiet

tommiet

Godfather

• Registered
  • 318 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:16 AM

At some point, yes... but the shopping channels pay to be carried so they should be welcomed. If you don't like a channel, you don't have to watch it.

And if you don't like someone's comments, you don't need to provide an editorial.
Not everyone drinks the Dish Kool-Aid.
**** HARDWARE *****
2 Dish Hoppers (Gave up trying to get a Joey to work)
VIZIO 55” and 48" TruLED LCD 3D HDTV with VIZIO
JVC HDI RX-D402B Receiver
2 SLINGBOX PRO'S

#26 OFFLINE   clotter

clotter

AllStar

• Registered
  • 105 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:08 AM

Great news! I often see movies on IFC that I would like to watch, but never did because it wasn't in HD.

I semi-retract my comment. I checked out a movie playing last night on IFC. HD? Check. OAR? Check. Commercials? WTF? :mad: The last time I watched anything on IFC, it was commercial free. I wonder if the movies are also edited for content? Once that commercial hit, my desire to watch the movie was gone. Oh well, I still have more than enough non-commercial choices.

All in all though, any channel switching to HD can only be good news.

#27 OFFLINE   epokopac

epokopac

Godfather

• Registered
  • 336 posts
  • LocationLawrenceville, Georgia

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:40 AM

I semi-retract my comment. I checked out a movie playing last night on IFC. HD? Check. OAR? Check. Commercials? WTF? :mad: The last time I watched anything on IFC, it was commercial free. I wonder if the movies are also edited for content? Once that commercial hit, my desire to watch the movie was gone. Oh well, I still have more than enough non-commercial choices.

I believe it was around DEC 2010 when IFC became the "Interrupted Film Channel". The version of a film they get is most likely whatever a distributor sends them; it may or may not be edited. Haven't watched IFC in a long time; the only thing I watch on commercial-laden AMC (same parent company I believe) is The Walking Dead.

#28 OFFLINE   Tecmo SB Guy

Tecmo SB Guy

Legend

• Registered
  • 169 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:11 PM

Yeah thanks to Dish for putting IFC in HD.

But are most of the movies they show on this channel not in HD? The commercials are spectacular but when they go back to the movie you can see the significant downgrade.

My excitement disappeared for this channel when I saw the PQ. It's horrible HD compared to other unedited movie channels like HBO, Showtime, Starz, Cinemax, HDNet Movies, Epix, etc.

Although I will give credit where it's due, I saw a bit of "The Descent" on Friday night and it looked like good quality HD. Maybe it was because they showed it in the 2.35:1 format, not the regular 16:9 I saw with the other movies.

The commercials thing, I'm actually okay with. As long as they don't cut out any of the movie to show the commercials, I'm fine because I have a DVR.

And they don't edit for content for most of their movies. IFC puts that disclaimer up before they start every movie.

#29 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,790 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 20 January 2013 - 03:50 PM

And if you don't like someone's comments, you don't need to provide an editorial.
Not everyone drinks the Dish Kool-Aid.

What are you even talking about?

This is a thread announcing new channels in HD... If you don't like them, why even bother posting? I'm sure there are channels you like that others don't want... and the same would be true if they posted in a thread for channels you like.

What Kool-Aid? Dish added some new HD feeds of channels... Please stay on the topic of the thread. Thanks!

#30 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:49 PM

Ive seen nudity and heard some swear words that im almost positive should be censored on other channels. So aside from the commercials I dont think they cut anything.

#31 OFFLINE   Wildblue

Wildblue

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:27 AM

They aren't really new channel numbers... they are the same as their previously carried already SD counterparts.

IFC SD/HD are on 298
We SD/HD are on 128
Fuse SD/HD are on 164

Thanks, Stewart--I've checked my guide using "All Channels", and don't see any of the new HD equivalents at those numbers. I've reset my receiver (Hopper) using the reset button, and then again by unplugging it for 10 seconds. I've called customer service, and did a search here and in the manual, but can't see any options. Is there a way to force my receiver to update the program guide?

I checked, and it does have the latest software update. (S234 for Hopper)

Thanks-

#32 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:44 AM

Thanks, Stewart--I've checked my guide using "All Channels", and don't see any of the new HD equivalents at those numbers. I've reset my receiver (Hopper) using the reset button, and then again by unplugging it for 10 seconds. I've called customer service, and did a search here and in the manual, but can't see any options. Is there a way to force my receiver to update the program guide?

Thanks-

Is your mapping feature turned on? I thought it was always on but I could be mistaken. They may be at the highest numbers, check around 9578. 9587 and 9589.

#33 OFFLINE   BonefishPaul

BonefishPaul

Mentor

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:44 AM

Any chance we'll see ESPN News & Disney Channel brought back in HD during our lifetime?? :confused:

#34 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,790 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:50 PM

Thanks-

I just noticed you are in Alaska... I would have to go back and look at the uplink... they may not have uplinked these new feeds for Alaska yet.

#35 OFFLINE   dennispap

dennispap

Icon

• Registered
  • 660 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:39 PM

Any chance we'll see ESPN News & Disney Channel brought back in HD during our lifetime?? :confused:

Depends how old you are.:lol:

#36 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,103 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 05:53 PM

I just noticed you are in Alaska... I would have to go back and look at the uplink... they may not have uplinked these new feeds for Alaska yet.

Good catch ... All three HD feeds are on 129 ConUS transponders that do not cover Alaska. 129 has some spots that cover Alaska and Hawaii but the new channels are not on those spots.

#37 OFFLINE   BonefishPaul

BonefishPaul

Mentor

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:19 PM

Depends how old you are.:lol:

That's what I am afraid of :eek2:

#38 OFFLINE   Wildblue

Wildblue

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:10 AM

Good catch ... All three HD feeds are on 129 ConUS transponders that do not cover Alaska. 129 has some spots that cover Alaska and Hawaii but the new channels are not on those spots.

Hey, thanks for helping on this, fellas. This is strange. There's some channels that don't come through up here in Alaska because of what satellite they're on. But up until now, they've still been displayed on my program guide, and if I select the channel, I've gotten a sort of on-screen message that it was trying to tune the channel. Examples were like 302HD, 305HD, and lots of others in the 300's.

But now, literally as of like today, I'm now not only seeing these new channels like 128HD, but all those other channels have disappeared from my program guide too. (the other channels were there yesterday) Very strange/interesting. Maybe Dish just updated how the receivers handle this situation. I'm also not seeing the new channels for NHL Center Ice, which should be 885-899. (I don't have any option to watch NHL games other than the one NHL Network channel)

Garys, I'm not sure what the "mapping feature" is, but no, I don't see 9578, 9587 or 9589, or copies of the new channels around that area. But yes, you're right in that up here in Alaska we do get duplicates of many of those non-available channels up the high 8000 and 9000's and some do come through. But I'm not seeing IFC, WE, or Fuse HD. (or at least, not yet)

Edited by Wildblue, 22 January 2013 - 04:18 AM.

#39 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:22 AM

Alaska does not have the channels located in the guide at the same location as they do in the continental US. I don't believe the new HD is available in your area, at least not yet.

#40 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,103 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:33 PM

Mapping depends on receiver ... on the Hopper the channels that are mapped down do not appear on their high numbered channels. 9578, 9587 and 9589 don't show up.

The Hopper also has collapsible channels ... so all of the NHL channels appear as 475 and a subchannel, all the NBA channels appear as 470 and a subchannel. If you don't have a Hopper the channels would appear in the 9500s (HD). And in Alaska many of them would come up "error" as they are on the 48 state beam of 129.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...