Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Expanding drive C: to unallocated drive in Win8

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,449 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:19 PM

My HP pavilion m8330f computer has two 300 hard drives (C: and E: ). I want to expand the primary partition on my C: drive to my second (E: ) drive. I've deleted the E: volume so that the drive (drive 1) is unallocated. When I right click on my C: drive in disk manager to expand the partition, the expand choice is greyed out. What can I do to expand C:?
I've tried running Command Console 3.0 (which obviously is already in Windows 8), but it shows the option grayed out.

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Sony KDFE-55A20 55" LCD RPTV; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVoRoamio Plus, LG BH200 HD DVD/Blu-ray player via HDMI to AVR
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   PokerJoker

PokerJoker

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 474 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:27 AM

I think the Windows drive-extend app doesn't allow you to expand the system drive. That's why it's greyed out.

If this was my system? First, I would make a complete system backup, just in case, and I would make damn sure I had a way (a tested recovery disk) to do a complete bare-metal restore should the unthinkable happen. This is just prudent.

To do the actual expand, I would boot from an Acronis Disk Director 11 CD. Expanding a drive is easy using this product. You could also use something like a Gparted live disk, which is a free download. The key here is that these are Linux-based disks that bypass those pesky Windows restrictions.

Just make sure you have that backup. You should probably also have on hand the set of factory recovery DVDs for your system, which on an HP computer must be burned by you using an app that came with your computer.

Keith

#3 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 4,449 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:17 AM

I wasn't aware of an restriction against expanding a system drive. I don't recall if I have Disc Director 11. I lost all my applications when I upgraded the computer to Windows 8 and had to reinstall them. According to Windows update advisor, my Acronis True Image 11 wasn't compatible with my system and I didn't upgrade, choosing instead Seagate Backup Plus. I'm waiting for a reply from MS on this andif I can't get an easy fix, will probably just reformat the drive as E: and let it go at that.

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Sony KDFE-55A20 55" LCD RPTV; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVoRoamio Plus, LG BH200 HD DVD/Blu-ray player via HDMI to AVR
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

#4 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,944 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:58 AM

You can try this software: http://www.paragon-s...ome/pm-express/

Always have a backup before trying to resize :)

#5 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,870 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:41 AM

You can try this software: http://www.paragon-s...ome/pm-express/

Always have a backup before trying to resize :)

Is there any dramatic changes in NTFS of W8 what would force to choke the PM12 [W7/Vista support] ?

#6 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,944 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:35 AM

The only changes I know of are in the Health Model which wouldn't affect this (and a drive using the Windows 8 health model works in Windows 7. If we ever move to ReFS on the Desktop, that might be a different matter.

#7 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,870 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:54 AM

I would like to see ZFS (by Sun/Oracle), but MS is not that comp who will go that way ...

#8 OFFLINE   PokerJoker

PokerJoker

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 474 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:31 PM

I wasn't aware of an restriction against expanding a system drive. I don't recall if I have Disc Director 11. I lost all my applications when I upgraded the computer to Windows 8 and had to reinstall them. According to Windows update advisor, my Acronis True Image 11 wasn't compatible with my system and I didn't upgrade, choosing instead Seagate Backup Plus. I'm waiting for a reply from MS on this andif I can't get an easy fix, will probably just reformat the drive as E: and let it go at that.

If you still have your Acronis True Image 2011 disk I think you can boot from it and accomplish the same thing, however my memory is a bit fuzzy here. It won't hurt to try booting from it and see.

Keith

#9 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 4,449 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:51 PM

I got a reply back from MS support that nails the answer -- Expand is only avaailable for contiguous disk space. Oh, well.

Charlie
--------------------

#10 OFFLINE   houskamp

houskamp

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,636 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:03 PM

only one I know of that allows multiple drives to look like one is the server editions..

otherwize you would need raid setup..

AKA: SMOKE
MRV was all that's left on my wishlist (wishlist done) :D

#11 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,944 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:19 PM

I completely misread the original post. My suggestion would not work.

#12 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,254 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:59 AM

Try EASEUS Partition Master Home Edition.

It's quite powerful and will do what you want. When viewing the drives in Disk Management, is there another partition in between the C: drive and the now unallocated space? If so, in Partition Master, you would first "Expand" the middle partition in that you move the unallocated space from after the middle partition to in front of it. Then you can expand the C: drive partition to take over the unallocated space as that space will be contiguous

Just to let you know, when you perform the first step, you can apply that change and the system will make the change. With the second step, the computer will need to reboot and the app will make the change via a special boot program before continuing on into Windows.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

Protected By... spam firewall...And...