Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

eastern or western sat best for location?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ebox4greg

ebox4greg

AllStar

• Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:44 PM

We just had DISH reinstalled.

Previously, we had a dish that had TURBO HD on it with 3 "eyes" (lnb's)

We were on sats 109, 119 and 129 I believe. Point to the West?

We had standard definition and HD for locals and several more stations. Good for when the HD feed was pixellated, we could watch the SD ones.

installer is worried about line of sight this time due to some power lines and trees that have grown. (where it previously was---on the side of the house).

So installer states it would be better to mount on the opposite side of the house pointing to a different set of satellites....

i'm assuming we're on the EASTERN "ARC" from what I've read.
Now we have sats 77, 72.7, and 61.5...... i'm in the NASHVILLE, TN area, so I read that locals are on 61.5
I did a diag on the receiver, and we do not have 77 listed, just 72 and 61

it is my understanding that we have NO sd channels on the Eastern Arc..... Flipping thru the guide, indeed there are none. tonight the local channels were very pixellated for about 10 minutes... OOPS, couldn't switch to the SD channels.

We have the VIP222K. We seem to have a somewhat smaller dish now... Is this the 1000.2 or .4? it's black and just sayd DISH HD, not "TURBO HD".

The installer could have pointed the sat to either by moving the dish over on the opposite of the garage and it would have had a better line of sight. but it was raining that day.

SO, my question, Are there advantages or disadvantages being pointed to the EASTERN ARC (other than no SD channels for locals)??????

would I have been better off staying on 109,119 and 129?

Which are "newer" sats???? 77,72,71 or 109,119,129? Is one set more populated or used than the other?

Just want to make sure the installer made the right decision for installing on the EASTERN ARC for the NASHVILLE, TN market.

Thanks in advance for answering questions. :)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,462 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:04 PM

Newer is a relative term... some satellites on the Western arc are probably newer than ones on the eastern arc... but the concept of an eastern arc is newer.

On the eastern arc, there are SD channels... but speaking specifically of LiLs (which you seem to be), you are correct... when Dish adds an HD feed of a LiL on eastern arc they have been taking down the corresponding feed.

If you just got a new installation/re-location I can't think of a reason why you shouldn't have gotten the full eastern arc... which should include 61.5, 72.7, and 77. Now, you may not end up watching/missing anything on 77... but it could be the lack of 77 indicates a problematic install.

Could be an improperly pointed dish... could be bad cabling... bad LNB... or a bad switch... any of these could be a sign of things to come and could possibly related to your other troubles with the signal.

You're probably going to need to call and have them send someone back out there to take a look.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#3 OFFLINE   ebox4greg

ebox4greg

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:15 PM

It was a rainy, cold day (yesterday 1/15). most likely not an optimal day for peak signals....

So, you're saying I should have 61,72, AND 77 showing in the POINT DISH diagnostics???????..... I think I ran the "switch test", and I did NOT see 77.

Also, how do i see the actual "SIGNAL LEVELS" relative to a #?
I see a full green bar after the diags were run.

I read somehere the signal could range from 43 to 70????????

Just want to make sure I have an optimal install. the installer didn't look to happy installing in the rain (this was a corporate scheduled install) so I wonder if he took shortcuts.

At first he stated he need to install near the grounding block on the house which is near the telephone, and internet connections........but then, after he decided to install on the EASTERN ARC, he said he would just ground it "under the house".............What would he have grounded it to? not aware of another grounding block on that side of the house.

not sure what's on 77. we have the DISH AMERICA package........

sorry for all the questions. just want to make sure I don't have a sloppy install. thanks!!

#4 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,359 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:22 PM

BTW: On the topic of "newer satellites" Eastern Arc would win ... Some of DISH's oldest satellites at 77 are finally being replaced by Quetzsat-1, Rainbow-1 (which became Echostar-12) is being replaced by Echostar 16 at 61.5 (first known use by subscribers was this week - Echostar 15 at 61.5 is a 2010 satellite) and the satellite at 72.7 (Nimiq 5) is only a few years old (2009).

But as Stewart noted, satellite age is irrelevant. Even the "older" satellites are not very old (2006-2010) - and they are all in decent condition.

Nashville has HD locals on both arcs ... the choice is really up to the line of sight to each satellite group.
The only thing on 77 are locals for other markets and DISH Latino channels ... you really don't need it (and DISH makes a dish that is Eastern Arc for just 61.5 and 72.7).

#5 OFFLINE   ebox4greg

ebox4greg

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:47 PM

Ok, here are some more stats the more I looked.

61.5 and 72 are the only ones listed.

61.5 has a 78-80 signal

72 has a 59-60 signal.

I put in my zip code 37091...Choosing the DISH type only lists Super, 500 and 300. It says chose super for 105/121.......500 for 110/110 (which I used to have)......

and type 300 dish for 61.5 (I thought my dish was a 1000.2 or .4).

Port 1 is 72
Port 2 is 61.5

James Long's input suggested I don't even need 77, since all the channels I am subscribed to are on 72 and 61, and this is indeed a different dish that I have seen before, so it may be true that this dish is fitted to the EASTERN ARC. (would this special dish be the reason 77 is not showing in the diag)???

I guess I kinda freaked out after all the pixellating on locals tonight. Don't want that to be a recurring thing..

Its cloudy here, but not raining, cold. do the signal levels look ok?
61.5 is 78-80 72 is 59/60.

Could they be peaked better? or are these sufficient?

I'll take a picture of it tomorrow, and I am going to check the ground as well.

Also, as he drilled it into the brick, I think his drill died on him, so the dish is bolted with ONE screw on the top right,
and two screws on the bottom. anyone see any issues with this?

#6 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:35 PM

Ok, here are some more stats the more I looked.

61.5 and 72 are the only ones listed.

61.5 has a 78-80 signal

72 has a 59-60 signal.

I put in my zip code 37091...Choosing the DISH type only lists Super, 500 and 300. It says chose super for 105/121.......500 for 110/110 (which I used to have)......

and type 300 dish for 61.5 (I thought my dish was a 1000.2 or .4).

Port 1 is 72
Port 2 is 61.5

James Long's input suggested I don't even need 77, since all the channels I am subscribed to are on 72 and 61, and this is indeed a different dish that I have seen before, so it may be true that this dish is fitted to the EASTERN ARC. (would this special dish be the reason 77 is not showing in the diag)???

I guess I kinda freaked out after all the pixellating on locals tonight. Don't want that to be a recurring thing..

Its cloudy here, but not raining, cold. do the signal levels look ok?
61.5 is 78-80 72 is 59/60.

Could they be peaked better? or are these sufficient?

I'll take a picture of it tomorrow, and I am going to check the ground as well.

Also, as he drilled it into the brick, I think his drill died on him, so the dish is bolted with ONE screw on the top right,
and two screws on the bottom. anyone see any issues with this?

1000.2 dish is used for both the Eastern and Western arcs When set up for Eastern Arc it has 2 LNBs 1 for 61.5 and one for 72 61.5 is in it's first week of usage for local channels and as with anything new needs some fine tuning. If you go to DBStalks and satelliteguys.us you will find others complaining about 61.5, give them the rest of the week and DISH should have it smoothed out.

#7 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,462 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:58 PM

Signal level varies across transponders... so it is hard to say for sure if those signals are good... but you may be ok.

The only "concern" during any rainstorm install (mine was installed in the rain incidentally) is that they might peak it in a way that was necessary to optimize signal during that particular rain... but then when the skies are clear, you might not be optimally peaked.

As I had hinted, and James furthered... there may be no need right now for you to have 77, so that may have been intentional. I don't know for sure how you could tell for certain (without looking up on the roof at the LNBs) if you have a correctly installed 61.5/72.7 OR an incorrectly installed 61.5/72.7/77... by which I mean, you could be fine and only supposed to have 2 locations OR you could be improperly installed and something is failing or misaligned.

Without knowing more or seeing more, it is hard to say for certain... so while not having 77 might not be a problem, it would be nice to know if you don't have it because you literally do not have the hardware installed OR because there is a problem.

I am on eastern arc... but haven't noticed issues with my LiLs... then again, since they are in the process of moving things around maybe I just haven't been watching at the right time. IF your problem was just with the LiLs (and not other SAT channels) then James could be right and it is a temporary thing.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#8 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,359 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:06 AM

The signal strength screen should show the third input and a red box if an LNB for 77 is connected but not getting any signal. On the Point Dish screen it would show up as "Conn". With two green boxes and no red I'm fairly certain that the LNB is built just for 61.5 and 72.7.

#9 OFFLINE   ebox4greg

ebox4greg

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:52 PM

Here are the dish pics. the LNB says DPP Digital LNBF.

Looking closer, this setup is only setup for 61.5 and 72.7, since there are only 2 inputs, correct?

Its clear today, and the signal levels are the same as I posted yesterday.

Have been no whacky stuff with the locals on 61.5 today.

What exactly is happening to the locals on 61.5. i read somehwere they are changing them around. Are they moving them to a different satellite?
since I just got installed Monday 1/14, am I already pointed to the new locals source satellite, or will someone have to come and repoint once they are moved over?

Also, the dish is NOT grounded anywhere. I think this would be a slight issue.

The installer insisted earlier installing near the ground block (where everything else is grounded...phone, internet, etc).

All the sudden he's moving to the oppposite side of the house. I asked him where he would ground it at, and he just says he'll ground it underneath the house? I am not aware of another grounding block on that side of the house underneath.

So, a few questions I guess I answered for myself. the dish is obviously the one setup specifically for the eastern ARC, because of its lnbf. (only a single wire leading under the house--before its split under the house).

Signals are the same. All the HD's work, so I guess for now signals are optimal??????????

Should I have them come back and ground it properly??????

Also, look at the mount on the entire dish pic. There is no screw in the TOP LEFT. Seems like two screws would be needed on the TOP screws for stability instead of two screws on the bottom. The mount seems sturdy though.

Attached Thumbnails

• dish1.jpg
  • dish2.jpg

#10 OFFLINE   ebox4greg

ebox4greg

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:55 PM

yeah, its a dish obviously made for the Eastern Arc with 61.5 and 72.7 only.
there are no "red" indicators in the diag screen. and the LNBF would have to have 3 heads to be receiving all 3 correct? It only has 2.

The signal strength screen should show the third input and a red box if an LNB for 77 is connected but not getting any signal. On the Point Dish screen it would show up as "Conn". With two green boxes and no red I'm fairly certain that the LNB is built just for 61.5 and 72.7.

#11 OFFLINE   ebox4greg

ebox4greg

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:45 PM

DISH confirmed the equipment should have been grounded. they're sending a tech out to examine the install job.

Maybe they can check the signal levels as well.

Surprise today as well! A price increase! since we activated on 1/15, I think there is a price protection.

#12 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,359 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:05 PM

Yep ... that is a 61.5/72.7 only dish.

Don't worry about the local channel shifting. DISH is just moving channels around on 61.5 to other places on 61.5.

#13 OFFLINE   ebox4greg

ebox4greg

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:36 PM

I'll report back after the second tech visits to inspect the install.

to GROUND the dish

to CHECK the signal levels

to CHECK the mount (screws missing).

spam firewall