Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Another list of Questions from Possible Direct TV convert

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   cnr1089

cnr1089

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:48 PM

Ok, so I have seen several posts like this, but they all seemed to have gone in different directions...

I have been with DirectTV for over 10 years and have been off contract for about 3 years. My bill is around $100 a month for 2 DVRs (two tvs), HD, and an Occasional HBO or Showtime sub depending on what show is in season.

I am getting sick of our relatively high bill for the lack of channels we actually watch. Was holding out for the battle of the providers and media producers to be figured out and for some more IP based turn-key TV solutions, but alas, I don’t see that happening in the next year.

Anyway, it is time for me to get a whole-home DVR. So it is the Direct TV Genie (which I am sure Direct TV wants me to pay $300 for) or the Dish Hopper (which I would get for free for being a new sub).

Plus, switching to Dish (at least initially) will likely cut my monthly bill significantly. As of right now, Direct TV throws me HBO or showtime for free every once in a while, but not much else.

So, my questions:

1) What is my actual monthly cost going to be? On the Dish website, it says $39.99/month ($59.99 after the first year), but it didn’t change when I said 3 tvs (I will be adding a 3rd tv from my current setup), I assume that isn’t really my final cost. How much do more boxes cost me per month to have?

2) Hopper with Sling...

Is it “slinging” the whole interface as if it is a Joey box? If so, can it sling to multiple devices at a time (same # as the number of Joey boxes you could have, assuming they aren’t current’y accessing the Hopper)?

(I realize that Hopper with sling is available starting tomorrow).

3) Primetime Anytime

Almost everything I record would be covered by this (not all, but a lot). So, can I just set up season passes for my shows and not have to manage “8 days of primetime”? That is, if I record Modern Family, do I have to manage the fact that it was recorded by the tuner all at once with other channels during prime time? Seems like that detail would be hidden from the user? If I do keep modern family until I have time to watch it, does it manage the space properly so it doesn’t waste space for all the other channels I am not keeping?

Anything else I should be aware of? The biggest thing I want, honestly is a nice centralized DVR where I do not have to worry about which DVR has what recordings (or which DVR I set up a recording on). I would consider staying with Direct TV if they gave the Genie (new one HR44) and the client boxes for free, plus maybe gave me a break on my bill, but otherwise, it doesn’t make financial sense to not switch.

Thoughts/comments?

Thanks!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   ebox4greg

ebox4greg

AllStar

• Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:56 PM

I just came from DIRECTV due to a billing nightmare they refused to correct.
I don't think the HR44 is being distributed yet.

the current GENIE HR34 has its issues definately. Good luck dealing with retention on getting a "deal".

#3 OFFLINE   Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:18 AM

1) What is my actual monthly cost going to be? On the Dish website, it says $39.99/month ($59.99 after the first year), but it didn’t change when I said 3 tvs (I will be adding a 3rd tv from my current setup), I assume that isn’t really my final cost. How much do more boxes cost me per month to have?

Thoughts/comments?

Thanks!

I too had a difficult time changing over, but I just did it 30 minutes ago.

As far as the total bill. If you go online and start filling out the application, you will be given the "real" total before final submission.

Mine came out to $70.99 for the top package (That price is for the first year)

#4 OFFLINE   ilyag2

ilyag2

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:12 AM

Whatever programming package you choose, you need to add $10/mo. for the Hopper/DVR service and an add'l $7/mo. for each Joey. Also, to get HD for life, sign up for paperless billing. Otherwise, it's another $10/mo.

If you go to DISH online for pricing, got to "build my own" as the previous post suggested. Note - you have to hit "add equipment" (under "configure") to see the hopper/joey charges. It's a button next to the picture of the sling adapter. (It will also add the sling adapter, though).

#5 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 592 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:01 AM

I can answer some of this:

2) No, it does not sling the interface. Just the programming. However, the browser app and the apps for mobile devices is pretty full-featured. Trust me when I say you don't want some things from the TV interface on your 4" touchscreen...

3) When you set up to save a series from PTAT, it only saves that series, not the whole PTAT recording.

#6 OFFLINE   cnr1089

cnr1089

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:54 AM

Thanks for all the responses, it is useful to know more about how the Hopper actually works.

So, as for pricing, the website is pretty confusing (I will call at some point, once I am more serious about making the jump).

Ok, here is what I get on the Dish Builder (note, I chose Top 200 because it is severely discounted for the first year):

America's Top 200	$64.99
First Year Monthly Discount	-$10.00
$20.00 Online Bonus Credit - Click here for details
Additional Programming

TV 1 Living Room HD DVR	Included
TV 2 Master Bedroom HD DVR	Included
TV 3 Other HD DVR	Included
DVR Fees	$7.00
Monthly Receiver Fees	$0.00
Whole Home Service Fees	$0.00
Hopper Outlet Fees	$0.00
One Time Fees
Hardware Charge	$0.00
Activation Fee	$99.00
Promotion - Activation Fee	-$99.00

Total Due Today Package and the $7 DVR fee and
Monthly Bill
* This is an estimate of your first statement based on your current programming & equipment selection. Pricing will be adjusted when the $20.00 Online Bonus is submitted.	$61.99

It seems to imply that I am only paying for $7 for a DVR Fee (note, on the previous page, I have “ Free Hopper Whole-Home HD DVR for 4 rooms Hopper Details” selected) per month and that is it. Am I mis-reading this or is did I selected something wrong?

#7 ONLINE   patmurphey

patmurphey

Godfather

• Registered
  • 525 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:12 AM

...3) Primetime Anytime

Almost everything I record would be covered by this (not all, but a lot). So, can I just set up season passes for my shows and not have to manage “8 days of primetime”? That is, if I record Modern Family, do I have to manage the fact that it was recorded by the tuner all at once with other channels during prime time? Seems like that detail would be hidden from the user? If I do keep modern family until I have time to watch it, does it manage the space properly so it doesn’t waste space for all the other channels I am not ...

You don't have to "manage" PTAT. If it is turned on, you can set Series Timers (Dish's wording) for all of those prime time shows and they will all be recorded with the one tuner. Those recordings will show up in the "My Recordings" page just like any other recording. You don't ever have to look at the Prime Time Anytime page except maybe to discover other shows that you might be interested in. PTAT manages itself, the recordings that are not saved over to "My Recordings" just go away after 8 days. There is plenty of user space on the Hopper's 2TB drive to save 400-500 hundred hours of HD shows even with PTAT enabled. If you need to save more, external hard drives can save more at up to 2TB apiece - all accessible by any DVR on your account.

#8 OFFLINE   cnr1089

cnr1089

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:15 AM

Ok, another Hopper/Dish question.

Can I hide adult “recorded” content? On DirectTV, I can lock out channels and prevent someone from watching shows above a certain rating while locked, but in the list of recordings it has the items, but it says “Blocked Title” (or something like that). So when we have friends over, we disconnect the DVRS (and only record “Blocked Title” items upstairs”) so that there aren’t a ton of these conspicuous “Blocked Title” items...

I believe with the Genie I will be stuck, since all the recordings will be in one place. The Hopper/Joey has the same issue, but if Dish handles blocked items differently, it might be an advantage.

Thanks Again....

#9 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:24 AM

...I block adult channels and they don't show up at all...um, I don't tend to record them, so...I'm not particularly sure. But I know that enabling the adult locks where available even prevents the Adult On Demand stuff from appearing in the menus.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#10 OFFLINE   cnr1089

cnr1089

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:34 AM

Ok, last set of questions (I am 90% convinced to do the switch):

1) Where is the Dish Satellite? I see lots of different directions on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EchoStar. My neighbor has dish and theirs is pointed in a completely different direction then my DirectTV one (although from the little research I ahve done, they should be in a similar direction), but they also subscribe to a lot of International Channels, so maybe that is why

2) What is the best tactic for switching without interrupting service? I want to tell DirectTV that I am switching, giving them one last chance to keep me (Genie, clients, free, plus reduction in bill for a year, to match what I would get (mostly) switching to dish), and if that fails (it will), do my switch, but I can't have DirectTV turning off before I have Dish turned on (or at least at the install date), any suggestions?

#11 OFFLINE   riceboyler

riceboyler

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:30 AM

1) Where is the Dish Satellite? I see lots of different directions on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EchoStar. My neighbor has dish and theirs is pointed in a completely different direction then my DirectTV one (although from the little research I ahve done, they should be in a similar direction), but they also subscribe to a lot of International Channels, so maybe that is why

2) What is the best tactic for switching without interrupting service? I want to tell DirectTV that I am switching, giving them one last chance to keep me (Genie, clients, free, plus reduction in bill for a year, to match what I would get (mostly) switching to dish), and if that fails (it will), do my switch, but I can't have DirectTV turning off before I have Dish turned on (or at least at the install date), any suggestions?

I just got Dish installed yesterday and they put the Dish, uh, dish in the same place that my old DTV 5LNB dish was and it was pointed in a very similar direction. Not exactly the same, but very close.

As far as your second question, just don't disconnect DTV until you get Dish installed. Talk to the retention team, give them one last shot and when they won't give you what you want, tell them you'll be calling back once Dish is installed to cancel your service. Then do just that.

#12 OFFLINE   brett_the_bomb

brett_the_bomb

Legend

• Registered
  • 182 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:44 AM

Call dtv and ask for cancellations/retention. They will make their best offer or can schedule your cancellation. Just tell them what u want. You may be surprised.

My setup: HR 44, HR34, 2x HR 24, 2x HR 23-700, 4x C31's, Nomad...

#13 OFFLINE   Jon J

Jon J

Grouch Extrordinaire

• Registered
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationMusic City, USA

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:07 AM

Call dtv and ask for cancellations/retention. They will make their best offer or can schedule your cancellation. Just tell them what u want. You may be surprised.

Or, you may just be quoted full price for the receiver and installation.
When news breaks...we fix it.

#14 ONLINE   patmurphey

patmurphey

Godfather

• Registered
  • 525 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:44 AM

Dishes - NH is likely Eastern Arc. Go here and look at 61.5, 72.7 and 77.

http://www.dishpointer.com/

77 may not be necessary depending on your locals.

#15 OFFLINE   brett_the_bomb

brett_the_bomb

Legend

• Registered
  • 182 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:42 AM

Or, you may just be quoted full price for the receiver and installation.

Always possible. But you don't know until you ask.

My setup: HR 44, HR34, 2x HR 24, 2x HR 23-700, 4x C31's, Nomad...

Protected By... spam firewall...And...