Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Length Of Install?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:36 PM

I currently have DirecTV (whole home DVR with 3 other tv's hooked in) and have decided to switch to Dish Network.

Can they use most of my current cables?

Also, how long do you think the install should take?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,758 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:00 AM

depend, could be 4-5 hours

#3 OFFLINE   Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:11 AM

Thanks, I was kinda hoping they could use most of my cabling and get done in 2-3 hours. I guess I'll find out soon enough.

#4 OFFLINE   3HaloODST

3HaloODST

Godfather

• Registered
  • 469 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:29 AM

Mostly depends on the amount of issues they run into. Especially factory firmware bugs.

2 Hoppers w/Sling / 2 Hopper 2000s / 1 Joey

1 ViP722k (separate account)

#5 OFFLINE   shoplifter

shoplifter

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:17 AM

I actually had the same question. Will I be required to remove the dish from the existing pole mount? Was hoping they could use the existing outdoor cabling as well.

#6 ONLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,163 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:20 AM

Since the mast size Dish uses is different from Direct, it is hard to tell. The installer would remove the existing dish if that is where the new one would have to go, other wise he may leave it for you to take down or you could possibly pay him to do it. Existing wires could be used depending on the setup, this is hard to tell since there is no idea of how your home is wired. If he can use the wire, I'm sure he would. You could ask him to if it fits the setup.

#7 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,758 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:23 AM

discuss the matter with an installer ... there are many points: say you'll be back to dish after 2 years contract with DTV, then I would keep the dish and install separate for DTV and will try to reuse your cabling, BUT we/installer doesn't know what exactly you have and would need to be done in your home for DTV - how many boxes, TVs, SWiM or not, etc

spam firewall