Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Leaving AT&T for DirecTV

• Please log in to reply
164 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,991 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:43 PM

Oh great, I just watch a demo on Dish Networks Hopper and saw how it worked and the Prime Time Anytime feature too, plus it showed me that Dish has SiriusXM as their music stations...wow, I'm very torn now...Dish or DTV.

Dish: 3 tuners, where one records your local primetime networks off of one transponder.
DirecTV: 5 tuners that will record anything/anytime.

Dish: 1080i programing is reduced from 1920 to 1440
DirecTV: full 1080i

There will always be plus & minus between providers.
A.K.A VOS

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#42 OFFLINE   chrisjmccord

chrisjmccord

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 100 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:49 PM

Dish: 3 tuners, where one records your local primetime networks off of one transponder.
DirecTV: 5 tuners that will record anything/anytime.

Dish: 1080i programing is reduced from 1920 to 1440
DirecTV: full 1080i

There will always be plus & minus between providers.

Well those are solid features right there.
Man though having XM would be nice, I love music.
I guess though, I can do without it, because I'm about to buy a new AVR that has the network LAN in it that will stream it, and I have the online account that I'm paying for now anyway. But then if I had Dish, its part of the packages I could drop that then, or maybe not cause then I couldn't listen to it on the road/iphone/work computer etc...choices!! lol.

I know you can turn on/off that Prime Time Anytime stuff, giving back one of the 3, but if you had it going, you then only have 2 to record other stuff? Still might be ok in my house, most of my wife's stuff is on Primetime channels etc. I'm not sure.
5 tuners is nice. Can you not add more tuners to Dish to get more than 3 tuners? Thats just the one Hopper box with 3 tuners right? I could essentially get more than 3? But that 1080i signal reduced is bad, why do they do that?

Weighing these pros/cons for each is going to kill me and my OCD.

#43 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,991 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:56 PM

But that 1080i signal reduced is bad, why do they do that?

Bandwidth.

DirecTV has Pandora, which isn't XM.

To get decent info on dish, you should really ask over on the dish side of this forum.
A.K.A VOS

#44 OFFLINE   chrisjmccord

chrisjmccord

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 100 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:01 PM

Bandwidth.

DirecTV has Pandora, which isn't XM.

To get decent info on dish, you should really ask over on the dish side of this forum.

I will, I just like to hear the "bad" from each side on the opposite side. So like hearing what DTV users don't like about Dish will bring out the worst, as well as asking about DTV on the Dish side will too, so I get an idea of all the good and bad.

#45 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,991 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:07 PM

I will, I just like to hear the "bad" from each side on the opposite side. So like hearing what DTV users don't like about Dish will bring out the worst, as well as asking about DTV on the Dish side will too, so I get an idea of all the good and bad.

I try to only post what I know, and left dish almost 10 years ago for DirecTV.
To get a better idea about dish, "over there" should give their pluses, where here you get DirecTV's.
A.K.A VOS

#46 OFFLINE   chrisjmccord

chrisjmccord

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 100 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:12 PM

I try to only post what I know, and left dish almost 10 years ago for DirecTV.
To get a better idea about dish, "over there" should give their pluses, where here you get DirecTV's.

Exactly, I appreciate your help. I'm riding both waves right now, in both pools, so it should help me decide which one might be best for my family and our habits. Your info has helped a lot! I thank you.

#47 OFFLINE   Curtis0620

Curtis0620

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,459 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:19 PM

FYI, DISH does not have ESPNNEWS or ESPN U in HD. And most of their RSNs are Game only HD.

Directv is the way to go for sports or Premium movie channels.
HR34-700
HR24-200
HR24-200

#48 OFFLINE   chrisjmccord

chrisjmccord

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 100 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:27 PM

FYI, DISH does not have ESPNNEWS or ESPN U in HD. And most of their RSNs are Game only HD.

Directv is the way to go for sports or Premium movie channels.

Man, I am a sports guy and ESPN NEWS is a big one...dang.

#49 OFFLINE   Curtis0620

Curtis0620

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,459 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:30 PM

And don't let anyone say that they are coming, DISH is in a lawsuit with ESPN/ABC.
HR34-700
HR24-200
HR24-200

#50 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:31 PM

Or at least I want to...actually I've signed up to have DTV installed on the 27th.
But now I'm wondering if I should cancel and wait it out a little bit longer, because I hate being new into something and then something newer comes out, so getting the free HR-34 is cool, but knowing the HR-44 is lingering out there ready to come to new customers bugs me.

I can wait, heck I've never experienced DTV, well back in 1998 I had it when I lived in Houston, but thats worlds and eons ago. So obviously there is no right/wrong decision here, just whats best for me and my needs. I'm just trying to feed off some chatter about the service and the new and old boxes, etc...feedback about being in this position would be nice.

Is now a good time to jump in or wait a bit longer and take advantage of the newer box coming out when it does? Etc...

DirecTV has more HD channels than Dish.
DirecTV has better HD picture quality than Dish.
DirecTV actually resolves their retrans disputes and does so quickly.

Dish Network is in a distant second place behind DirecTV for a reason.
DTV = Digital Television

#51 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,267 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:40 PM

I see, but it allows me to then record even on that antenna? So say I wanted to record something on ABC on that channel, since its hooked to the HR34 it will, is that the main purpose behind it? Do the OTA channels show up in the menu through the HR34 listed with all the others? OR do I have to flip my TV to a different input etc...?

Yes, the OTA channels are incorporated into the guide and are treated just like satellite channels. Full trickplay and recording ability. You can also set up your local market and one other if you are lucky enough to be close to a secondary market and get those channels incorporated into you guide too. For me, Milwaukee and Chicago in HD. :D

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#52 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,567 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:41 PM

If you are a sports guy, you definitely want DirecTV. Dish doesn't even have Extra Innings (in case you want to get out of market baseball).

Though there are some DirecTV RSN's that are part time HD. Your's may very well not be, I haven't checked the maps. Mine is part time.

#53 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:44 PM

It's not even close in general, but even more so when you start looking at the sports offerings from both. BTW - your primary RSN is a full-time HD channel with DirecTV, but only part-time with Dish.

#54 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:48 PM

Though there are some DirecTV RSN's that are part time HD. Your's may very well not be, I haven't checked the maps. Mine is part time.

To add to what ^^^dpeters11^^^ said.

The RSN's for that area are FS Midwest and FS Southwest. Both are available full-time in HD with DirecTV. Both were part-time HD with Dish Network. That may have changed on their side, but I don't know.

#55 OFFLINE   chrisjmccord

chrisjmccord

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 100 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:00 PM

DirecTV has more HD channels than Dish.
DirecTV has better HD picture quality than Dish.
DirecTV actually resolves their retrans disputes and does so quickly.

Dish Network is in a distant second place behind DirecTV for a reason.

I'm starting to realize all this...thanks for continued support of information. Being informed is essential to making good decisions.

#56 OFFLINE   chrisjmccord

chrisjmccord

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 100 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:02 PM

To add to what ^^^dpeters11^^^ said.

The RSN's for that area are FS Midwest and FS Southwest. Both are available full-time in HD with DirecTV. Both were part-time HD with Dish Network. That may have changed on their side, but I don't know.

99% closer to my decision...thanks everyone. You've been great help.

#57 OFFLINE   dettxw

dettxw

MRVing

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,066 posts
  • LocationChoctaw, OK

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:10 PM

Awesome and OKIE!! Yay! lol...need an Okies opinion on the signal and loss of signal during our famous weather days...how does DTV hold up? Its really my only hang up with DTV, weather issues and worries.

Native Michigander of Kentucky hillbilly parents here but I've been in OK for a while now. Yes, you can lose signal if there is a really strong thunderstorm between you and the satellites. Regular rain is not a problem. I usually record network stuff that's important OTA just in case, and satellite stuff is usually available on a later broadcast.

Also, I chose the 27th, to give myself some padding to cancel the install if I had 2nd thoughts or my wife wasn't happy with the move. So far she seems open to it so I'm out here trying to make any buyers remorse go away.

Yep, when you commit to a two-year contract you want to make sure that you're doing the right thing.

Sounds to me like you want me to call back and get a "custom install" done not the standard which is what I think I chose? I might have to print that stuff out so I remember what to have him do.

I asked the sales rep for the 4 room install, the living room being my main install for the DVR and my bedroom with 1 client. While I wanted 2 other rooms installed with clients for future use, but not activated, but looking at my ticket I see only 2 rooms with the Genie and 1 client, so I think I need to call back to fix that?

Some people are comfortable crawling around in their attic and running their own coax (guilty here) and others are better served paying someone else to do it. As someone else posted a custom install may need to be between you and the installer.

I think there is a "SWiM LNB and a single coax" in my attic now that Cox installed, but again, not sure if they will use other peoples equipment/hardware up there? What is a SWiM LNB? I don't think I need more than 5 tuners from the (HR-34), I mean 5 shows at once is probably plenty? Seems like a lot of people have 8 or more in the house, but why does one need more than the 5 tuners in the Genie?

Nothing Cox is compatible, and installers usually like to run their own coax. As for five tuners, well time will tell if that's enough. You might get used to recording everything just in case. Me, I've got 17 satellite/6 OTA tuners plus one on the PC and that's enough.

Where is the Antenna farm, where all the TV/Radio stations are off Broadway? I'm just a few miles west...I'm off 122nd and Rockwell/Council, so not real far. I've picked up the OTA before with a cheap old OTA antenna, back when I had TiVO.

Almost all the stations are there except KSBI 52 which is over off of the Kilpatrick Turnpike where it runs N/S to your SW. So you're probably good with any set top antenna. I'm 13-15 miles away from the antenna farm near SE 29th & Hiwassee and have a small UHF/VHF antenna in the attic but it's overkill.

So explain again to me what I need to have installed or ask the installer to do. I guess I'm going custom install now. I want the dish on the back side of the house that faces east. My house sits east/west (front porch/back porch) and if its on the back side (east) it has a clear sight to the south, no trees nothing in the way, its a newer sub division. Will he mount it there and just drill into my attic and run the cable and drop down into the wall where my TV is? How should I have him set it up?

Usually an installer wants more $$ to fish a wall from the attic, with a standard install they'll drill through the wall. Sounds like no problem mounting a dish.

Send me a PM if you're interested in seeing a Genie/clients/MRV/etc. in action.

-Steve- Subscriber since Sept 1998  My Complete Setup 

SWM16 / HR44-500 (2TB & AM21) / HR34-700 (3TB & AM21) / HR24-500 (2TB eSATA) / C31 via WCCK / C41 x2 / C41W / H25-700

#58 OFFLINE   Curtis0620

Curtis0620

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,459 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:12 PM

Also, Directv will be adding these channels in HD soon:

204 - Headline News HD
232 - Cooking Channel HD
253 - Lifetime Movie Network HD
271 - H2 HD
285 - Investigation Discovery HD
304 - TV Land HD
541 - Encore Action HD
559 - Independant Film Channel HD
HR34-700
HR24-200
HR24-200

#59 OFFLINE   chrisjmccord

chrisjmccord

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 100 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:14 PM

Native Michigander of Kentucky hillbilly parents here but I've been in OK for a while now. Yes, you can lose signal if there is a really strong thunderstorm between you and the satellites. Regular rain is not a problem. I usually record network stuff that's important OTA just in case, and satellite stuff is usually available on a later broadcast.

Yep, when you commit to a two-year contract you want to make sure that you're doing the right thing.

Some people are comfortable crawling around in their attic and running their own coax (guilty here) and others are better served paying someone else to do it. As someone else posted a custom install may need to be between you and the installer.

Nothing Cox is compatible, and installers usually like to run their own coax. As for five tuners, well time will tell if that's enough. You might get used to recording everything just in case. Me, I've got 17 satellite/6 OTA tuners plus one on the PC and that's enough.

Almost all the stations are there except KSBI 52 which is over off of the Kilpatrick Turnpike where it runs N/S to your SW. So you're probably good with any set top antenna. I'm 13-15 miles away from the antenna farm near SE 29th & Hiwassee and have a small UHF/VHF antenna in the attic but it's overkill.

Usually an installer wants more $$ to fish a wall from the attic, with a standard install they'll drill through the wall. Sounds like no problem mounting a dish.

Send me a PM if you're interested in seeing a Genie/clients/MRV/etc. in action.

When I had the install booked, the sales rep asked me if I wanted standard or custom...standard was free, custom would have been more, but I'm not quite sure what that included. I don't know what they consider a "custom" install?

#60 OFFLINE   chrisjmccord

chrisjmccord

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 100 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:15 PM

Also, Directv will be adding these channels in HD soon:

204 - Headline News HD
232 - Cooking Channel HD
253 - Lifetime Movie Network HD
271 - H2 HD
285 - Investigation Discovery HD
304 - TV Land HD
541 - Encore Action HD
559 - Independant Film Channel HD

BOOM!

The sales rep said the DTV Cinema was like Netflix on Steroids? So like does it have similar content to Netflix? My son uses Netflix everyday, he's 3, he watches all kinds of kids shows on it, guess I'll wait and see what it has before I cut out Netflix from our budget.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...