Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Leaving AT&T for DirecTV

• Please log in to reply
164 replies to this topic

#101 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,617 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:52 PM

Ok, let me ask this...my TV is setup on an inside wall in m living room, if he puts the dish on a part of my roof in the SE corner of my house, where I'm wanting it, how does the cable get from there to the TV/HR34?

Would he not run it through my attic and down the wall where the outlets already exist? I don't think I have any "custom" work, unless running a cable into my attic and down the wall is considered that? And if it is, I guess I don't know how else they would get the cable to this spot?

One of the installers here can better answer that, but they will use your existing runs if possible.
DTV = Digital Television

#102 OFFLINE   brett_the_bomb

brett_the_bomb

Legend

• Registered
  • 182 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:53 PM

Ok, let me ask this...my TV is setup on an inside wall in m living room, if he puts the dish on a part of my roof in the SE corner of my house, where I'm wanting it, how does the cable get from there to the TV/HR34?

Would he not run it through my attic and down the wall where the outlets already exist? I don't think I have any "custom" work, unless running a cable into my attic and down the wall is considered that? And if it is, I guess I don't know how else they would get the cable to this spot?

Well if you have an outlet there already he can just hook into your main junction box rather than use a new line drop.

My setup: HR 44, HR34, 2x HR 24, 2x HR 23-700, 4x C31's, Nomad...

#103 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:54 PM

And if it is, I guess I don't know how else they would get the cable to this spot?

Through an outside wall, and tacked along the carpet edge.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#104 OFFLINE   chrisjmccord

chrisjmccord

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 100 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:06 PM

Through an outside wall, and tacked along the carpet edge.

No carpet in these rooms, its hardwood floors. Where I'm thinking the best place to put the dish is in the same vicinity as where the Cox coax and AT&T coax are run along the under awning of my roof, that then goes into the attic.

So you're saying they would use one of those two cables? One of which is AT&T and that one can't be used as thats where my internet is getting its feed from.

Maybe he would run a 3rd cable along those same outside wall and under the roof awning? Then into the attic? I guess if I don't like the options I'm given then what? I guess there will be a compromise from both ends, I probably haven't described the situation well enough for you all to really help me understand how it would be installed anyway. I'm over thinking it all, lol.

#105 OFFLINE   dettxw

dettxw

MRVing

• Registered
  • 4,106 posts
  • LocationChoctaw, OK

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:16 PM

My guess is that running a cable to an inside wall through the attic is a custom install and they'll want something more for it. It's not hard, just likely extra cost.

Running cable(s) from the dish into the attic through the soffit is common in these Dallas-style homes that they build around here. Mine's done that way.

-Steve- Subscriber since Sept 1998  My Complete Setup 

SWM16 / HR44-500 (2TB & AM21) / HR34-700 (3TB & AM21) / HR24-500 (2TB eSATA) / C31 via WCCK / C41 x2 / C41W / H25-700

#106 OFFLINE   chrisjmccord

chrisjmccord

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 100 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:23 PM

My guess is that running a cable to an inside wall through the attic is a custom install and they'll want something more for it. It's not hard, just likely extra cost.

Running cable(s) from the dish into the attic through the soffit is common in these Dallas-style homes that they build around here. Mine's done that way.

What's the "softit"?

#107 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,283 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:36 PM

Basically the exposed undersurface of the roof, where it overhangs.

#108 OFFLINE   chrisjmccord

chrisjmccord

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 100 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:39 PM

Basically the exposed undersurface of the roof, where it overhangs.

Ok, well thats where the Cox and AT&T are running now. There might be a way to get to the TV area without going there, but that would be my preferred location just because all the stuff already there and setup. I'll just have to see how he chooses to want to do it when he's actually here.

Can I ask this as well, if I have a switch behind my TV where the components get their internet, will I still need to have the box hooked up to a telephone line?

#109 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,617 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:41 PM

I'll just have to see how he chooses to want to do it when he's actually here.

That would be best. The tech will sort it out for you.
DTV = Digital Television

#110 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 42,158 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:44 PM

I'm still on the fence, I really wished I could see DTV in person on a nice LED screen like mine and check it out. Thats what I want to do. I'm just on this fence for going DTV or not...sucks for me to be indecisive.

I keep walking into the living room to check out that picture I have with AT&T and its decent, I guess, you know LEDs are a bit washed out from the sides, so until I sit right down in front of it, it looks a bit off.
I think part of me has it in my head that the DTV picture quality is going to blow me out of my seat vs. UVerse and I just don't know if thats true. I would feel a lot better if I could see one in person.

"You know", even going to see DirecTV isn't really going to be "the answer".

You won't really know unless you had both on the same TV, and lived with them for a while.

I did this for my 30 day test drive of U-Who.

I've tried to express what you might see.

This isn't to say not to go look, and you won't be disappointed. You may still have your socks on as I doubt they'll be blown-off.

Look at the hardware function differences as for me the Motorola DVR will never be brought back into my house. They were poor before I got DirecTV, and boy do they suck after using DirecTV.
A.K.A VOS

#111 OFFLINE   chrisjmccord

chrisjmccord

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 100 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:59 PM

"You know", even going to see DirecTV isn't really going to be "the answer".

You won't really know unless you had both on the same TV, and lived with them for a while.

I did this for my 30 day test drive of U-Who.

I've tried to express what you might see.

This isn't to say not to go look, and you won't be disappointed. You may still have your socks on as I doubt they'll be blown-off.

Look at the hardware function differences as for me the Motorola DVR will never be brought back into my house. They were poor before I got DirecTV, and boy do they suck after using DirecTV.

Well see thats what I'm thinking, I don't expect to be blown away by the PQ per say, who knows maybe I will be able to tell a big difference as some have quoted to say they could. But other things such as the hardware, menus, DVR experience, other things that not a lot of people have mentioned, such as PiP...which surprises me...I've watched a few YouTube videos out there on the HR34 and saw the menu and the PIP and was wow, that would be awesome to have, little things like that. Just the menu guide itself, it doesn't cover what is on TV live, like UVerse does. The small things sometimes are bigger and help the experience a lot more than you'd think.

So while I am big about the PQ and that was my main reason for starting this trek, I've been learning and seeing things along the way that have made me excited to have DirecTV in here. Sure seeing it in person would be great, but if that can't happen, I'm trying to find more and more reason to get over my fear of switching, and just trust in those who love their DirecTV experience and consider it the best option out there.

#112 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 42,158 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:06 PM

Well see thats what I'm thinking, I don't expect to be blown away by the PQ per say, who knows maybe I will be able to tell a big difference as some have quoted to say they could. But other things such as the hardware, menus, DVR experience, other things that not a lot of people have mentioned, such as PiP...which surprises me...I've watched a few YouTube videos out there on the HR34 and saw the menu and the PIP and was wow, that would be awesome to have, little things like that. Just the menu guide itself, it doesn't cover what is on TV live, like UVerse does. The small things sometimes are bigger and help the experience a lot more than you'd think.

So while I am big about the PQ and that was my main reason for starting this trek, I've been learning and seeing things along the way that have made me excited to have DirecTV in here. Sure seeing it in person would be great, but if that can't happen, I'm trying to find more and more reason to get over my fear of switching, and just trust in those who love their DirecTV experience and consider it the best option out there.

REMEMBER this is the internet, and what ever we type "must be true" :lol:

I don't watch a lot of sports [without a spark plug], but believe those that say fast moving sports have problems with U-who and not with DirecTV.
Have you seen what has been posted?
If so, it won't be there with DirecTV.
I didn't like the jumping movement [dropping of frames].

Menus and the other "hands on" things, well we all have our likes & dislikes, so what "sucks for me", might not make a ripple for you, and the inverse where it totally sucks for you and it isn't something I even use. :shrug: [maybe a key here is I have more options with DirecTV than U-who]
A.K.A VOS

#113 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,283 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:18 PM

Very true. There are people that don't like some of the ways DirecTV handles things, the same thing that a lot of us would say "Why would anyone actually like that other way?"

#114 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 42,158 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:26 PM

Very true. There are people that don't like some of the ways DirecTV handles things, the same thing that a lot of us would say "Why would anyone actually like that other way?"

With U-who one of the first things was The guide..
Why have the HD channel above 1000?

Why do I create a favorite for the guide, but pressing the guide button always gives me the full guide listing?

Why must I dig through a menu to see my custom guide?
A.K.A VOS

#115 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,283 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:29 PM

That's one of the things I was referring to. There are actually people out there that like the SD and HD channels separated like that and don't like DirecTV's method.

#116 OFFLINE   chrisjmccord

chrisjmccord

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 100 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:31 PM

Well the UVerse menu is pretty vanilla in my opinion. No PIP. Blocks the live feed when viewing the guide. 3 things there that are pretty big, but small. The favorites is hard to setup and use, so I never have messed with it. I see lots of good things with DirecTV.

#117 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 42,158 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:40 PM

Well the UVerse menu is pretty vanilla in my opinion. No PIP. Blocks the live feed when viewing the guide. 3 things there that are pretty big, but small. The favorites is hard to setup and use, so I never have messed with it. I see lots of good things with DirecTV.

While yes it does do this, it replaces it with a thumbnail of what is on the highlighted channel while in the guide.

Some buy a Ford and some a Chevy :lol:
A.K.A VOS

#118 OFFLINE   chrisjmccord

chrisjmccord

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 100 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:55 PM

While yes it does do this, it replaces it with a thumbnail of what is on the highlighted channel while in the guide.

Some buy a Ford and some a Chevy :lol:

Hummm, the videos I saw showed moving video up in the top left corner? Maybe I was crazy.

#119 OFFLINE   chrisjmccord

chrisjmccord

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 100 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:02 PM

See this video about the 1:57 mark...guide is up, video up top is moving...?

#120 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,283 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:03 PM

DirecTV does show live video there. One recent change, trickplay is no longer available (used to be able to pause etc on that screen).

I think VOS was referring to UVerse, especially since he's forgotten more about DirecTV than most of us ever knew.

#121 OFFLINE   chrisjmccord

chrisjmccord

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 100 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:08 PM

Funny I just looked at the UVerse menu and it puts a live video feed in the bottom left, of the channel you are highlighting, while the current channel is on the main screen behind the guide. Hummm...guess I never ever noticed that.

#122 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 42,158 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:10 PM

See this video about the 1:57 mark...guide is up, video up top is moving...?

Boy watching something you have on Youtube... :nono: :lol:

Yes the program keeps playing while in the guide.

The camera he used couldn't keep up with the TV picture. ;)
A.K.A VOS

#123 OFFLINE   chrisjmccord

chrisjmccord

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 100 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:34 AM

Is the AM21 something I should call and have added to the work order before the installer comes out? Do they hook that up to the HR34? Not that I can't plug a USB and OTA antenna into it myself, just curious.

#124 OFFLINE   chrisjmccord

chrisjmccord

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 100 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:20 AM

If I choose to wait, and decide to cancel my install appointment and DirecTV before I get it , I have that choice right? I'm considering waiting a while, not only to allow the HR44 to get in the picture but because of some other family circumstances. I think I was told I could cancel as long as it was 24hrs before the install?

#125 OFFLINE   DeeZee

DeeZee

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 05:04 PM

I'm confused with what you are saying here, are you saying my Mbps or mbps verbiage is wrong? Because we all know AT&T and COX are not faster than a T1 or T3.

So AT&T is 24Mbps down, which I can only get to 22Mbps, and Cox is 55Mbps.
Both not as fast as a T1 at 1.5mbps or t3 at 4.5mbps, which is a lot faster than the Mbps.

So I had some technical typos...

Technically MBps and Mbps is the difference. b being bits and B being Bytes, bits being the smaller of the two. All i was saying is a 1.5mbps t1 is no where even close to a 55mbps cox connection, you should really look into it. Im not trying to troll just educate. I hope you find out the answers to your directv questions and if you do go through with the service welcome to the club :)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...