Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Leaving AT&T for DirecTV

• Please log in to reply
164 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   chrisjmccord

chrisjmccord

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 100 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:02 PM

The other guy is correct Hoosier. A person can add NFL ST Max for the 2013 season now, if they wish. They also offered it early last year, for customers who want to pay it off early, instead of waiting to the fall. As stated though, the base (non-Max) NFL ST is not yet available to add. You can go to Directv.com/nfl and you'll see it's available to add. If you click on activate now while logged out, you'll even see it specifically states for the 2013 season.
--
In answer to the OP, I use to have comcast (still do for internet), and I love my DTV. HD is great, and if you like sports, then DTV is the leader in that department. Good luck in your choice!

I asked to add it and was denied, so good luck with all this.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#82 OFFLINE   brett_the_bomb

brett_the_bomb

Legend

• Registered
  • 182 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:22 PM

I asked to add it and was denied, so good luck with all this.

I'm in no way acting as a rep for dtv, but I can promise that it can be ordered. Its listed as 2013 season for the same price as this season and I'm sure it fooled the agents you spoke with since it has never been the same price 2 yrs in a row. Also dtv didn't make a big announcement that it was available. Try to add it online. I'm not trying to make a stink about it but I verified it at work today.

Also if you have it this season it may not show the offer as it should auto renew.

Edited by brett_the_bomb, 18 January 2013 - 06:42 PM.

My setup: HR 44, HR34, 2x HR 24, 2x HR 23-700, 4x C31's, Nomad...

#83 OFFLINE   brett_the_bomb

brett_the_bomb

Legend

• Registered
  • 182 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:13 PM

Posted Image

screenshot of my dads online account.

i dont really like being accused of spreading false info.

My setup: HR 44, HR34, 2x HR 24, 2x HR 23-700, 4x C31's, Nomad...

#84 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:58 AM

screenshot of my dads online account.

i dont really like being accused of spreading false info.

You are absolutely correct. I have never seen this before and could not see it when I first checked their website for it. My apologies.

#85 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,769 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 19 January 2013 - 07:56 AM

I'm no Sunday Ticket expert, but the description on that "2013 Sunday Ticket" says "every 2012" game on your computer. What good is that, if it was first offered for sale on January 15th?

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#86 OFFLINE   HinterXGames

HinterXGames

Godfather

• Registered
  • 313 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 08:04 AM

Because it gives the opportunity for people who want to pay it off early in the year, the ability to do so, instead of during the fall and holiday season, when people may not have as much cash available.
--
People can also add with a one time payment during tax time. It is just an opportunity for people in situations who want to pay it off early in the year, instead of the fall, to do so.

Edited by HinterXGames, 19 January 2013 - 08:10 AM.

#87 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,769 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 19 January 2013 - 08:36 AM

Because it gives the opportunity for people who want to pay it off early in the year, the ability to do so, instead of during the fall and holiday season, when people may not have as much cash available.
--
People can also add with a one time payment during tax time. It is just an opportunity for people in situations who want to pay it off early in the year, instead of the fall, to do so.

But, if you are buying it in 2013, why would it include games that were broadcast in 2012, BEFORE you could even buy it?

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#88 OFFLINE   HinterXGames

HinterXGames

Godfather

• Registered
  • 313 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:24 AM

I'd say that is just a situation of the verbiage not being fully updated on the website. Adding now though would cover the games for this coming fall, not the season that just ended.

#89 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:14 PM

I'd say that is just a situation of the verbiage not being fully updated on the website. Adding now though would cover the games for this coming fall, not the season that just ended.

+1 for the verbiage call.

If you want to get the early bird special or any other possible offers later in the year and paying for it then is not an issue, I would hold off for now.

Makes me sad to think we have to wait 9 months for the next season. :(

#90 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,146 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:46 PM

I'm no Sunday Ticket expert, but the description on that "2013 Sunday Ticket" says "every 2012" game on your computer. What good is that, if it was first offered for sale on January 15th?

typo / some one did not change all of the 2012's to 2013's.
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#91 OFFLINE   DeeZee

DeeZee

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:49 PM

Funny you mention this, because while I'm breaking up with AT&T and the bundle I've had, I also am probably going to move my internet to COX. Not that the internet has been bad with AT&T, but I'm paying $65/month for their top Ultimate Turbo package, that supposedly gets 24mbps down, and I usually test out around 19mbps down, occasionally late at night I get 21mbps down.

Cox has a $75/month for 6 months then $99/month for 55mpbs down with speed boost. A co-worker can do a speed test on demand, anytime, he showed me via his iPad, logging into his PC from home, and was getting 62mpbs down. So I'd rather pay $75/$99 for that and have the fastest I can get without buying a T1 or T3 line. This would help me in the house with all the iPads and iPhones on wireless and all the other devices on the network. So I've decided to really break up with AT&T and just have their home phone and cell phone. Let DTV do what it does best and give me the best TV experience and Cox give me the fastest internet...3 bills but 3 of the best I can get.

Actually what you are currently on 24mbps is faster then both a t1 1.5mbps and a t3 is about 4.5mbps. So a move to COX would be just that much faster.

#92 OFFLINE   DeeZee

DeeZee

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:56 PM

Well those are solid features right there.
Man though having XM would be nice, I love music.
I guess though, I can do without it, because I'm about to buy a new AVR that has the network LAN in it that will stream it, and I have the online account that I'm paying for now anyway. But then if I had Dish, its part of the packages I could drop that then, or maybe not cause then I couldn't listen to it on the road/iphone/work computer etc...choices!! lol.

I know you can turn on/off that Prime Time Anytime stuff, giving back one of the 3, but if you had it going, you then only have 2 to record other stuff? Still might be ok in my house, most of my wife's stuff is on Primetime channels etc. I'm not sure.
5 tuners is nice. Can you not add more tuners to Dish to get more than 3 tuners? Thats just the one Hopper box with 3 tuners right? I could essentially get more than 3? But that 1080i signal reduced is bad, why do they do that?

Weighing these pros/cons for each is going to kill me and my OCD.

Well the Genie (maybe other receivers) have Pandora radio app built into it for music. Plus you have all the Sonic Music channels.

#93 OFFLINE   chrisjmccord

chrisjmccord

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 100 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:32 PM

Actually what you are currently on 24mbps is faster then both a t1 1.5mbps and a t3 is about 4.5mbps. So a move to COX would be just that much faster.

I'm confused with what you are saying here, are you saying my Mbps or mbps verbiage is wrong? Because we all know AT&T and COX are not faster than a T1 or T3.

So AT&T is 24Mbps down, which I can only get to 22Mbps, and Cox is 55Mbps.
Both not as fast as a T1 at 1.5mbps or t3 at 4.5mbps, which is a lot faster than the Mbps.

So I had some technical typos...

#94 OFFLINE   chrisjmccord

chrisjmccord

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 100 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:33 PM

I'm still on the fence, I really wished I could see DTV in person on a nice LED screen like mine and check it out. Thats what I want to do. I'm just on this fence for going DTV or not...sucks for me to be indecisive.

I keep walking into the living room to check out that picture I have with AT&T and its decent, I guess, you know LEDs are a bit washed out from the sides, so until I sit right down in front of it, it looks a bit off.
I think part of me has it in my head that the DTV picture quality is going to blow me out of my seat vs. UVerse and I just don't know if thats true. I would feel a lot better if I could see one in person.

#95 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,442 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:51 PM

I'm honestly not sure you'll be blown out of your seat. Now, I admit I've never had UVerse, but being blown out of my seat was going from SD to HD. You're not going to see that kind of difference. Part of the issue with UVerse is distance related, and what profile you get, how many HD streams you can get at once. Of course the benefit there with DirecTV is that there is no limit, all HD tuners in your setup can get HD.

Unless UVerse's HD is like Time Warner's here. That looked like SD to me...

You might get some benefit from a professional calibration, but the viewing angle issue is inherent. One reason I like my plasma.

What I like about DirecTV (other than this site, which to me is a huge benefit) is on the technology side. They are fairly aggressive in adding functionality, and other than cases where new hardware is the only possible way of getting new functionality, it's added to the other boxes.

I'd take Dettxw up on his offer. That would be the best way to see it in a real scenario.

Edited by dpeters11, 20 January 2013 - 04:57 PM.

#96 OFFLINE   chrisjmccord

chrisjmccord

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 100 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 05:16 PM

I'd take Dettxw up on his offer. That would be the best way to see it in a real scenario.

I totally missed Dettxw's offer to come view it, I had to scroll back and read that. I probably will have to do that to see it in real life, the only way I guess I can. :grin:

#97 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,442 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 20 January 2013 - 05:43 PM

It would be the best way to see it in a Residential environment, and with someone with more knowledge than just turning it on.

#98 OFFLINE   chrisjmccord

chrisjmccord

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 100 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 06:54 PM

Anyone know what the difference in a "custom" install and a "standard" install is with DTV, I was offered both...didn't know what you get in a custom install?

#99 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:05 PM

http://support.direc...install-charges

Custom Install Charges
Most DIRECTV equipment offers include standard professional installation from a highly trained installer who will:

- Install your DIRECTV dish on your roof, balcony, or other outside location within 100 feet of your TV (as long as there is an unobstructed view to the southern sky)
- Run up to 125 feet of cable from your dish to the receiver(s) and 25 feet of phone line
- Connect your DIRECTV System to your previously connected equipment
- Provide a 20-minute lesson on using your new equipment
- Assist in activating your service

While our standard professional installation covers most DIRECTV system set-ups, some installations may require additional custom work that is not included with standard professional installation.

Please note that additional charges apply for custom installation. Custom installation includes, but is not limited to:

- Routing cables through more than 1 wall or fishing cables between walls
- Installing additional receivers or routing system to more than 1 TV outlet
- Connecting system to stereo and/or additional components
- Enhancements to phone line
- Dish mounting on pole
- Additional equipment, cables

If your installation requires custom work, the technician will ask you to sign a revised Custom Work Rate Sheet with the fixed rate prior to installation, and he will collect payment directly from you while he is still on-site. These charges will not appear on your DIRECTV bill.

DTV = Digital Television

#100 OFFLINE   chrisjmccord

chrisjmccord

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 100 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:46 PM

http://support.direc...install-charges

Ok, let me ask this...my TV is setup on an inside wall in m living room, if he puts the dish on a part of my roof in the SE corner of my house, where I'm wanting it, how does the cable get from there to the TV/HR34?

Would he not run it through my attic and down the wall where the outlets already exist? I don't think I have any "custom" work, unless running a cable into my attic and down the wall is considered that? And if it is, I guess I don't know how else they would get the cable to this spot?

spam firewall