Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Leaving AT&T for DirecTV

• Please log in to reply
164 replies to this topic

#121 OFFLINE   chrisjmccord

chrisjmccord

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 100 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:08 PM

Funny I just looked at the UVerse menu and it puts a live video feed in the bottom left, of the channel you are highlighting, while the current channel is on the main screen behind the guide. Hummm...guess I never ever noticed that.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#122 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,769 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:10 PM

See this video about the 1:57 mark...guide is up, video up top is moving...?

Boy watching something you have on Youtube... :nono: :lol:

Yes the program keeps playing while in the guide.

The camera he used couldn't keep up with the TV picture. ;)
A.K.A VOS

#123 OFFLINE   chrisjmccord

chrisjmccord

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 100 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:34 AM

Is the AM21 something I should call and have added to the work order before the installer comes out? Do they hook that up to the HR34? Not that I can't plug a USB and OTA antenna into it myself, just curious.

#124 OFFLINE   chrisjmccord

chrisjmccord

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 100 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:20 AM

If I choose to wait, and decide to cancel my install appointment and DirecTV before I get it , I have that choice right? I'm considering waiting a while, not only to allow the HR44 to get in the picture but because of some other family circumstances. I think I was told I could cancel as long as it was 24hrs before the install?

#125 OFFLINE   DeeZee

DeeZee

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 05:04 PM

I'm confused with what you are saying here, are you saying my Mbps or mbps verbiage is wrong? Because we all know AT&T and COX are not faster than a T1 or T3.

So AT&T is 24Mbps down, which I can only get to 22Mbps, and Cox is 55Mbps.
Both not as fast as a T1 at 1.5mbps or t3 at 4.5mbps, which is a lot faster than the Mbps.

So I had some technical typos...

Technically MBps and Mbps is the difference. b being bits and B being Bytes, bits being the smaller of the two. All i was saying is a 1.5mbps t1 is no where even close to a 55mbps cox connection, you should really look into it. Im not trying to troll just educate. I hope you find out the answers to your directv questions and if you do go through with the service welcome to the club :)

#126 OFFLINE   chrisjmccord

chrisjmccord

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 100 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 05:36 PM

Technically MBps and Mbps is the difference. b being bits and B being Bytes, bits being the smaller of the two. All i was saying is a 1.5mbps t1 is no where even close to a 55mbps cox connection, you should really look into it. Im not trying to troll just educate. I hope you find out the answers to your directv questions and if you do go through with the service welcome to the club :)

Cox has a 55 Mbps option, but that shouldn't be close to a T1 or T3 should it?
You've got me confused...lol...

T1s are faster than 1.5mbps right? and T3s are faster tahn 4.5mbps right?

:confused:

#127 OFFLINE   chrisjmccord

chrisjmccord

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 100 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 05:43 PM

Oh story of the day here, I TRIED to give AT&T a chance today, called them and told them we were considering a switch to DirecTV because they offered a 5 tuner option DVR that held 1TB but might consider a stay if we could upgrade some equipment.

They have a newer DVR than our VIP1225 its a VIP2250, I guess the real difference is the 250GB vs. 500GB drives in them, not sure what else? Anyway that is laughable considering DirecTV offers the HR-34/44 monsters and can add to that with external drives. Its quite laughable they won't accomodate a customer wanting to go from 250 to 500 for whatever reason, the CSR just kept saying he didn't have a way to upgrade us. Ok well whatever, so I guess losing a customer over it is worth that? Sure I understand they all have protocol, and maybe no true way of getting it to us but I guess my final battle will be when I call to cancel the service and by that time it will be too late for them.

I also wanted to see if they had a residential gateway (router/modem) that had wireless-n built into it, but nope, nothing. I had the newest gateway for my service, so...my other option of going to Cox with their 55 Mbps DOCSIS 3 cable modem and adding my own wireless n router is what I'll do to get the fastest I can for my devices.

Anyways, its just sad that AT&T had a chance, but not its all but over for them. I tried and tried to give them a reason to keep me as a customer but now its too late.

#128 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,769 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 06:07 PM

I had the 500 GB DVR, which says it holds up to 165 hrs of HD.
The HR24 [I had twins at the time] with its 500 GB is up to 100 hrs.
The Genie is up to 200 hrs.

U-Who CSRs turned out to take many times/calls and hours on end to get something resolved.
"To be fair" DirecTV's CSRs can be troublesome too, "hell" most of my calls to any company's CSRs of late is a PITA.
A.K.A VOS

#129 OFFLINE   chrisjmccord

chrisjmccord

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 100 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:11 PM

I had the 500 GB DVR, which says it holds up to 165 hrs of HD.
The HR24 [I had twins at the time] with its 500 GB is up to 100 hrs.
The Genie is up to 200 hrs.

U-Who CSRs turned out to take many times/calls and hours on end to get something resolved.
"To be fair" DirecTV's CSRs can be troublesome too, "hell" most of my calls to any company's CSRs of late is a PITA.

Oh yeah I totally get that, I worked retail for 10 years so I know how protocols are and that some are allowed to be empowered to do things, I just think its crap when they say there is "nothing they can do"...I worked in an environment where I was empowered to make my customers happy. I know there is always "something they can do"...but I hate having to be rude or pushy for it, I show some displeasure but still get nothing, so their loss.

I'm wondering what its going to be like when I call to cancel both my Internet and TV based on their abilities to unresolve my customer service issues of hardware. I wasn't asking for equipment they don't have...wasn't really comparing theirs to the competitions, just wanted something newer than what I have. I work in IT, I understand technology advances even if theirs is slower than others, I want a service that will at least allow me to purchase and upgrade (such as DirecTV would do). I'll probably be hitting that when the HR-44 comes out, but I guess I"ll just have to be happy with the HR-34 for a while.

Anyway, AT&T's unwillingness to allow me to upgrade the DVR or the RG did not sit well with me. I was told I could always add a 3rd party wireless router to get Wireless N...thanks. Cox's new modem has wireless N, so I got two things I wanted by moving to Cox; faster download speeds and a newer/modern modem, and all I wanted from AT&T was the newer equipment. So they failed there.

All I wanted from AT&T as far as DVR was concerned was their VIP2250 (500GBs), to give me some more time to decide on DirecTV, well they "couldn't" give me that so now I get better TV service and equipment. Fail again.

So today is like a Win/Win for me, I broke up a bundle with AT&T, and got two of the best services available to me. I feel pretty good.

#130 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,769 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:07 PM

I just think its crap when they say there is "nothing they can do"...

I banged into that a few times, but with another call found they "could do".
A.K.A VOS

#131 OFFLINE   chrisjmccord

chrisjmccord

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 100 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:23 PM

I banged into that a few times, but with another call found they "could do".

Well, thats where I think they'll be when I call to cancel it, but by that time it will be too late. I wanted to get something resolved before I had DirecTV installed, so that I could cancel/postpone it and give the new equipment a try. But now they've all but secured me dropping. I hate that I'd have to call a few times to get something that they should offer, but it is what it is.

#132 OFFLINE   chrisjmccord

chrisjmccord

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 100 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:59 AM

Should I call and update my order to add the AM21 before the installer gets here or is this something he can just add on the fly when here?
Or is it something I can just buy off Amazon.com and add to the system myself, along with the OTA antenna? Solid Signal is selling some on Amazon.com, just not sure if this is something better from DirecTV or 3rd party etc?

#133 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:03 AM

Should I call and update my order to add the AM21 before the installer gets here or is this something he can just add on the fly when here?
Or is it something I can just buy off Amazon.com and add to the system myself, along with the OTA antenna? Solid Signal is selling some on Amazon.com, just not sure if this is something better from DirecTV or 3rd party etc?

After your order is in the system and activated, you can order an AM-21 through your online acct. Its usually here in a day or so.

#134 OFFLINE   chrisjmccord

chrisjmccord

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 100 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:07 AM

After your order is in the system and activated, you can order an AM-21 through your online acct. Its usually here in a day or so.

Oh so they will ship it directly to me?

#135 OFFLINE   dettxw

dettxw

MRVing

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,025 posts
  • LocationChoctaw, OK

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:45 AM

You'll get the same AM21 if you get it from DirecTV or Solid Signal, and likely for the same price. Your choice. You'll do the installation yourself.
Installation is easy and integration with the DVR is seamless. I've got three and they work well.

-Steve- Subscriber since Sept 1998  My Complete Setup 

SWM16 / HR44-500 (2TB & AM21) / HR34-700 (3TB & AM21) / HR24-500 (2TB eSATA) / C31 via WCCK / C41 x2 / C41W / H25-700

#136 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:14 PM

Oh so they will ship it directly to me?

Yup, after you have an antenna setup, it take all of 5 minutes to install. Its free FedEx shipping as well from D* I think. Shut down your dvr or receiver, connect it up, fire back up your device and when its finished rebooting, go setup your off-air channels.

#137 OFFLINE   DeeZee

DeeZee

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:25 PM

Cox has a 55 Mbps option, but that shouldn't be close to a T1 or T3 should it?
You've got me confused...lol...

T1s are faster than 1.5mbps right? and T3s are faster tahn 4.5mbps right?

:confused:

It's actually a lot faster than a t1 or t3. T1's are 1.5mbps while a t3 I misquoted is 6mbps. For example my office has a 150mbps Fios internet connection and we have a t3 backup line with telepacific in case our main internet FIOS dropped for whatever reason. t1 will yield you about 170Kbps while that 55mbps cox connection will yield about a 6MBps (megabyte) per second.

#138 OFFLINE   chrisjmccord

chrisjmccord

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 100 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:54 PM

It's actually a lot faster than a t1 or t3. T1's are 1.5mbps while a t3 I misquoted is 6mbps. For example my office has a 150mbps Fios internet connection and we have a t3 backup line with telepacific in case our main internet FIOS dropped for whatever reason. t1 will yield you about 170Kbps while that 55mbps cox connection will yield about a 6MBps (megabyte) per second.

Really? Wow, so maybe back in the days T1s and T3s were the fasetest but now even residential infrastructures have surpassed them? I didn't realize that.

#139 OFFLINE   chrisjmccord

chrisjmccord

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 100 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:25 PM

I've pushed my appointment back a few days to 1/30 now, still having cold feet with this change. I know change is hard, but needed and good sometimes. Its just really hard to deal with this kind of change without seeing something from D* in person.

#140 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,826 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:04 PM

Really? Wow, so maybe back in the days T1s and T3s were the fasetest but now even residential infrastructures have surpassed them? I didn't realize that.

T1, is indeed about 1.5 Mbps, but it is T-2 that is 6 Mbps. T-3 is about 44 Mbps.

The main difference between T-x lines and residential service is service level guarantees. T-x lines are dedicated links back to the central office with direct connections to the provider's backbones. Residential service is pooled in various ways, depending on the provider and the nature of the service. As a result T-x performance is very steady, 24x7, while residential service will vary depending on time of day and number of subscribers sharing a gateway or other common media.

For big corporations, T1 and T3 lines are mostly used for backup these days. If you want real industrial grade internet service with a robust SLA you'd go for OC-x service. OC service is optical (OC stands for Optical Carrier) as opposed to T-x service which is wired. An OC-3 line is 155 Mbps, and it goes up through OC-255 at 13 Gbps. OC-3 lines start at around $20k/month and you go up from there in price as well.

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

Protected By... spam firewall...And...